Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ml15
Paper Tape
Views: 503
Message 1 of 4

P52 Keyboard Backlight NOT working

My P52 Keyboard backlights stopped working, it used to work (sometimes), and the screen and Lenovovantage always showed some indication when using the FN+Spacebar.

Now - even when just hitting the Power Button - the light check on the very first second doesn't light up the keyboard backlight, FN+spacebar does nothing - not in boot, BIOS and/or Windows.

Although I have purchased this with extended international 3 yr warranty (in the USA) - but in Israel (I am currently at) they want 40$ just to check it out which is outrageous!

Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance

FYI

Started failing after BIOS update 1.17, flashing back to the previous version did not help, neither is the new 1.18 BIOS.

Also tried removing the battery & power cable and pressing the power buton for 15+ seconds.

The laptop did not receive ANY hit, fall or anything of that fashion. Arn't Thinkpads, especially P series supposed to be ROCK-SOLID ?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 395
Message 2 of 4

Re: P52 Keyboard Backlight NOT working

Hi Ml15,

Welcome to the community.

We appreciate all the steps that you've tried to diagnose and resolve the issue. It seems like there's a hardware issue and this needs to be checked physically. Upon checking, the Lenovo P52 has international warranty in Israel. See warranty here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/iwslookup?linkTrack=MastSmiley FrustratedubNavSmiley Frustratedupport:Warranty%20and%20Repair:Warra.... You may bring it to any of the service center here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht118678?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 (filter by country) for warranty repair. Thank you. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Ml15
Paper Tape
Views: 315
Message 3 of 4

Re: P52 Keyboard Backlight NOT working

First, Thank you for the information.

I have tried calling IBM Israel which seem to provide Lenovo support in Isrrael and as I've mentioned - they insist that have have some "special" agreement with Lenovo that even under warranty - they still charge 40$ just for accepting a carry-in. That is obviously unacceptable just to fix the backlight of the keyboard (and in my opinion - should not be acceptable no matter what - since I did pay a premium for a brand Laptop & and extra premium for an extended warranty.)

The third link you posted lists a few private companies - how does that work? If I do have a ThinkPad under warranty - they accept it for repair under Lenovo's warranty? and if so, why is there a 'Main' number - which is IBM Israel?

Thanks in advance

darrelstickler
What's DOS?
Views: 218
Message 4 of 4

P52 Keyboard Backlight working but not very bright (compared to W541)

I am upgrading from W541 to P52.  The fn-spacebar functionality works, off-on dim-on brighter, but even the top brightness is about the same as the W541 dim.

In usage, it is just too dim (I work in dark areas).  Any ideas to upgrade lighting to improve brightness?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors