Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peleg
Punch Card
Views: 209
Message 11 of 15

Re: P52 RAM Frequency

Hello,

I also bought a P52 that arrived with a Samsung 16Gb 2666Mhz DIMM and since I'd like to expand, I checked RAM speed through few tools, to verify whether a 2666Mhz stick is actually beneficial for this system:

- Task manager shows => 2666Mhz
- WMIC command ["wmic memorychip get speed"] => 2666Mhz
- HWiNFO [under ‘current speed’] => ~1197Mhz [which, I guess, is for a single channel so actually it’s ~2394Mhz]

Well, unfortunately, something doesn't add up... HWiNFO & the WMIC command are showing diffrenent values.

I've seen, in a bounch of cases, that the WMIC command shows actual opreration speeds but then, again, so does HWiNFO...

Which one is correct? Quite an enigma this is.

ve2mrx
Token Ring
Views: 148
Message 12 of 15

The memory speed is 2666MHz, the highest speed it can go at. However, that's not the only speed it can operate at.

There are a few "speed profiles" the memory can operate at, and the memory controller picks the highest common denominator compatible with everyone involved. In the case of the P52, it's 2400MHz. So, the 2666MHz memory falls back to 2400MHz.

Sometimes, there are benefits in using fast memory at a slower speed: some timings can still be faster even if the memory isn't running at its maximum. Mostly useful in overclocking, which I haven't done in a long time...

Martin

ve2mrx
Token Ring
Views: 146
Message 13 of 15

Forgot to mention that 1200MHz has nothing to do with single/dual channel.

It's related to the fact that data is exchanged with the memory twice per clock pulse, hence "Double Data Rate" memory.

Think of "channels" as memory stick highways. If you have two "highways" with each one memory stick, your computer can work on the second when the first is "congested" (busy). It's faster, but it has nothing to do with the clock speed.

Martin
Peleg
Punch Card
Views: 126
Message 14 of 15

Thank you for the response.

But why the denominator is 2400Hmz? In Aida64 it's written that the motherboard supports 2666MHz. Both the Task manager & the WMIC are declaring a speed of 2666MHz.

The only thing that keeps me "suspicious" is the HWiNFO result [1197Mhz]... Is HWiNFO a more trust worthy tool than the rest?

ve2mrx
Token Ring
Views: 116
Message 15 of 15

Hi Peleg,

I don't have my P52 yet, so I cannot reply definitively about the motherboard supporting 2666MHz. The official reason for running at 2400MHz is it's an Intel limitation, and I don't know why. I wish I knew!

I checked in my IdeaCenter 300S, and the only place in AIDA that I see would be relevant is Motherboard>Motherboard>Memory Bus Properties>Effective Clock. That is the real speed used in the memory. All other indications should be the capabilities of the memory, not the actual speed used.

AIDA's Motherboard>Motherboard>Memory Bus Properties>Effective Clock and HWiNFO's Memory>Current Performance Settings>Current Memory Clock should match, and it should also be matching HWiNFO's Summary memory Clock. Those three places give the same speed, the actual one.

Martin

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors