Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
helson73
Punch Card
Views: 330
Message 1 of 8

P52 suspect BSOD caused by synaptics fingerprint reader

I got a BSOD today and opened BlueScreenView, found nothing but ntoskrnl.exe crashed.

So I ran verifier on the command line with superuser, got DRIVER_VIOLATION_ERROR, as following.
bsod.png

I tried various versions of fingerprint reader driver, but always got the same result.

What makes me confused is, I have run verifier just a week ago, everything went fine then.

The only difference happened in this week, is that I updated touchpad firmware(beta) and trackpoint driver(official), and installed Windows SDK.

Thanks for reading.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 312
Message 2 of 8

Re: P52 suspect BSOD caused by synaptics fingerprint reader

It would be better if you just attached, or uploaded the dump to OneDrive etc. (with a link) so it can be examined.    

helson73
Punch Card
Views: 297
Message 3 of 8

helson73
Punch Card
Views: 239
Message 4 of 8

Update: I found it happens only if fingerprint is registered. If there is no fingerprint recorded, it passes verifier.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 206
Message 5 of 8

Hi! For some reasons, we can't open the dump files. Could you try the steps below:

1. Open the Settings app and go to Update & Security section.
2. Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left.
3. Select BSOD from the right pane and click Run the troubleshooter.

Run the SFC scan

This is a command-line tool that searches for potential problems and corrupt files in your system, and resolves them (if possible). So, it could also resolve the DRIVER VIOLATION.

Here’s how to run the SFC scan in Windows 10:

1. Right-click the Start Menu button, and open Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Enter the following line and press Enter: sfc/scannow
3. Wait until the process is done (it may take a while).
4. If the solution is found, it will automatically be applied.
5. Now, close the Command Prompt and restart your computer.

If the issue persist, Run DISM

Delpoyment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a tool that re-deploys the system image. This could lead to resolving some system problems, including the BSOD issues.

1. Right-click Start and open Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Type the following command and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
3. Wait until the scan is finished.
4. Restart your computer and try updating again.

Update us how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

helson73
Punch Card
Views: 198
Message 6 of 8

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I have done everything I can do including what you said and even reinstalled whole OS, but unfortunately the problem is never resolved. 

I must clarify that I only got one BSOD and other BSODs are replicated by following steps.

1) Open the command line as administrator, and type "verifier". 

2) Select the first option ("create a standard setting") and go forward to choose ("Automatically choose all drivers installed in this computer."), then save. 

3) Reboot and you will see BSOD. 

After doing that, I can find "synasmi.sys" is responsible for this BSOD of DRIVER_VIOLATION. Of cource, this can't prove the frist BSOD I encountered is caused by "synasmi.sys", but highly suspective. 

I didn't get any BSOD at least two month and I felt my P52 so stable until I reinstalled my OS for 19H1 update recently. Then I found some compatibility issues in 19H1 and decided to roll back to 1809 version but I never get stability back again. 

After rolling back to 1809, I got BSOD once a hour and it always says "watchdog.sys" is the problem. 

I thought it was sort of video driver problem so I reinstalled 1809 again and this time I installed official nvidia driver at the first place and I manged to run my laptop for serveral days without BSOD so I started to believe the issue is gone. 

But I felt my touchpad and trackpoint work weird (see https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P52-ELAN-Touchpad-driver-ETD-sys-issues-...) so I updated trackpoint&touchpad firmware and drivers from the website. It didn't fix point device problems perfectly but I said I can wait. 

And yesterday, I got the first BSOD I am talking about. I run the "varifier" and the only suspective driver I found is "synasmi.sys". Weird thing is DRIVER_VIOLATION only happens when figerprint is enrolled. If I remove my fingerprint or turn off FPR from BIOS, my laptop can pass varifier with no problem. I reinstalled system ONCE AGAIN but the DRIVER_VIOLATION is still there if run verifier. For now I just turn off the FPR in BIOS and pretend this thing is never part of my laptop at first place. 

I am quite sure my FPR hardware is just fine because at beginning (last November) my laptop can pass verifier even if fingerprint is enrolled and I didn't update my drivers until recently. Therefore I believe the newly released drivers(might be FPR drivers, Intel Management Engine, IO serial driver, etc) are highly suspective for this issue.

Hope next driver can fix this. 

helson73
Punch Card
Views: 194
Message 7 of 8

This one is the BSOD that happens WITHOUT running "varifier".

helson73
Punch Card
Views: 193
Message 8 of 8

These two are BSOD with running "verifier" on command line.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors