Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CNARAY
Fanfold Paper
Views: 712
Message 1 of 15

P52 will not load the Thunderbolt Firmware.

My software version is 17.4.78.500; App Version 17.4.78.15; Service Version 17.4.78.14 and Controller Driver is 17.4.78.21.  It's listed as the newest on my Drive update page.  NVM Firmware is 23.00.  Please help as I got the the window warning message to not use suspend or power down and when I click OK, it bombs out.  Will not update.  I have unpluged all USB-C software, when I try.  The instructions are kind of misleading..   

Thank you.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 678
Message 2 of 15

Re: P52 will not load the Thunderbolt Firmware.

Sorry for this trouble.  Can you please download and extract this zip file?  https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApXWjQB7_a1bhf1Vs90DpsTNQHVyAQ

Then:

1.  open a command prompt as administrator

2.  cd to the unzipped folder that contains detect1810r.exe

3.  execute:  detect1810r.exe 

4.  post the output here.  It should look something like this:

Untitled.png

CNARAY
Fanfold Paper
Views: 664
Message 3 of 15

Untitled-1.jpg

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 654
Message 4 of 15

The output shows that you have N2CHF08W whereas the latest version is N2CHF10W.  As an experiment, can you please try installing N2CHF09W which is the version in between?  You can get it from the below link.  If there's any problem, please take a screenshot and post it here.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n2cbd01w.exe

CNARAY
Fanfold Paper
Views: 612
Message 5 of 15

After I ran your file with no USB-C pluged in.  The computer did not reboot at the end and when I went to replug in the USB-C connection It BSOD.  Here is a screen shot of what I thought you wnated to see after the manual reboot.Untitled-2.jpg

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 606
Message 6 of 15

I'm confused where your top command prompt window (about DeviceFWUTool.exe) came from.  Can you please try rebooting, and then running this?  https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n2cbd01w.exe

I'm expecting to see a command window (with FwUpdateTool.exe) and then the Thunderbolt Firmware Update GUI should pop up:

1.png

CNARAY
Fanfold Paper
Views: 601
Message 7 of 15

Yes I saw that when I went to load the FW and some other window warnings and I kept saying OK till it just stopped and no reboot. The tool that you didn't know was in the folder under C:\DRIVERS\WIN\Thunderbolt_FW. It comes with the software. This problem happened with the replacement boards I got and this NEW computer which CS replaced. It cannot be something I'm doing and It cannot be just my P52 computer. I was thinking of trying it in safe mode...??  Followup: I tried it in safe mode and still no reboot.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 591
Message 8 of 15

I know that DeviceFWUTool.exe is in the c:\drivers\win\thunderbolt_fw folder, but I don't know what causes it to execute like what was shown in your screenshot.  That's where I'm confused about what you were trying to show me.  

Do you ever get to either of the below screens?

2.png3.png

CNARAY
Fanfold Paper
Views: 571
Message 9 of 15

I ran that software and I saw an error and thought you wanted to see it. Sorry. I never get the Thunderbolt FW update tool, it crashed the software just before that windows you have posted comes up. That's what I'm missing. I'm also confused if I should leave my USB-C dock plugged in or unplug it. I've tried it both ways.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 568
Message 10 of 15

I don't think it matters whether you plug in something or not.  The update itself will force the controller to turn on, you can see that in my screenshot "Wait 7 seconds to force Thunderbolt device to be power on".  Can you post a screenshot of whatever you see that's crashing?  Is there any crash log in Problem Reports (type "View all problem reports" into the start menu)? 

We're not hearing this kind of problem report from anyone else, and it doesn't happen on my P52 here, that's why I'm struggling to help you.

Also, please reboot and press F1 to enter BIOS setup.  Can you double-check that Config -> Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode is set to Disabled?  Also double-check that Security -> I/O Port Access -> Thunderbolt is Enabled.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors