cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fp18
Paper Tape
Views: 1,695
Message 1 of 5

P52 with ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock: USB keyboard/mouse do not work when switched on

When turning on the Thunderbolt 3 workstation dock using a P52 the USB and audio ports do not work. Means that a USB connected keyboard or mouse is not usable. I can resolve the issue by unplug&plug-in the 65W power supply cable. Why are keyboard/mouse/headphones not instantly working when switching on the dock? Is there a special setting necessary? Thx!

OliverK1
SCSI Port
Views: 1,534
Message 2 of 5

Re: P52 with ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock: USB keyboard/mouse do not work when switched o

Did you resolve this issue?

I have the same dock, but I haven't set it up.

fp18
Paper Tape
Views: 1,494
Message 3 of 5

Re: P52 with ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock: USB keyboard/mouse do not work when switched o

I have resolved the issue with following help from the Lenovo support:

To enable the Thunderbolt dock when connected to the computer for the first time, do either of the following:

• Confirm the change when prompted if you have the administrator privilege, or
  • Enter the ThinkPad Setup program (BIOS)
    • and go to the "Config" menu tab
    • Select Thunderbolt(TM) 3
      • Change "Security level" to "No Security"
    • The dock will be enabled automatically

Good luck!

Highlighted
cmbriggs
Paper Tape
Views: 1,411
Message 4 of 5

New P52 last week, two Thunderbolt docks 230w version, one for office one for home office.  Was working ok following plug and play install last week.  Was having some issues with connecting requiring re-boots to overcome.  Windows update yesterday evening to version 1809, wreaked all that.  Tried office docking this morning; no keyboard or mouse working, only HDMI connection to Benq BL2710 working.  Wasted at least an hour and half trying updating Thunderbolt drivers etc without any success and still could not see Thunderbolt icon anywhere in system.  Search on this forum tried updating BIOS settings as suggested in this thread and thankfully now all is well again and dock is recognised by P52.

I have to say that I am still not sold on the idea of the cable docks.  I dont think this is anything like as robust as the old mechanical docks which I have used for at least the past 16 years, daily, most recently for the past 6 years on a W530 without any issues.  I can see the connections breaking either on the supplied special cable or worse the USB C port on the P52 wearing out /breaking.

raviss1
What's DOS?
Views: 373
Message 5 of 5

I have the same issue.  It will be nice not have to open the laptop to login when connected to the dock.  I went into the BIOS but under config-thunderbolt 3 all settings are greyed out and I cannot change it.  I can change other settings.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors