Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomaszW
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,948
Message 1 of 10

P52 won't start after change to only discrete graphic card

Hi All

After I disabled the internal card in BIOS to use discreete only, computer won't start. The computer can go only to the initial screen to get access to BIOS but will hang on a black screen after selectitng Bios Enter or any other option. It's P52 with the P1000 card. 

Can somebody help me here please ?

Tomasz

RayCH
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,859
Message 2 of 10

Re: P52 won't start after change to only discrete graphic card

My suggestion: contact customer service as soon as possible. I have sent my p52 to the depot.

My p52 sadly bricked as switching to discrete graphics as yours. There are others having the same problem. You may take a look at the following thread: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Lenovo-P52-bricked-by-selecting-BIOS-thu...

I think that lenovo did not do thorough quality check in their bios firmware for p52. They claims the issue is resolved in their latest bios firmware. Obviously, this is not true because I had already updated to the latest bios version before changing the graphic setting. It is a shame that lenovo did not find has such a trivial bug in their high end product, P series.

TomaszW
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,728
Message 3 of 10

Thanks. 

Support confirmed the part (they did not say which one) to replace, without additional questions.

I strongly advise against the purchase the P52 ThinkPad.  One basic change in the BIOS settings and ....... hight end P laptop is dead.

And about support.  The part initialy should arrive last Wendesday, then Thursday, then Friday (today), next update Monday about ETA when the part will be available. 

All is one big joke. 

ogjerstad
Paper Tape
Views: 2,711
Message 4 of 10

Happened to me as well. I posted in the thunderbolt thread. Newest bios from November. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,637
Message 5 of 10

I am assuming you don't have a supervisor password that you do not know.  I would unplug it, pull the main battery and disconnect the CMOS battery.  Press the power button a couple of times to drain the capacitors.  Reconnect everything and plug it in.  I am hoping this will reset to BIOS defaults and start normally.  You will need to replace any previously-set options.,

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Guru
Views: 2,606
Message 6 of 10

@richk wrote:

I am assuming you don't have a supervisor password that you do not know.  I would unplug it, pull the main battery and disconnect the CMOS battery.  Press the power button a couple of times to drain the capacitors.  Reconnect everything and plug it in.  I am hoping this will reset to BIOS defaults and start normally.  You will need to replace any previously-set options.,

Does that process still work on the newer systems? I believe that the CMOS battery only maintains the clock these days. However, pulling the main battery and the power button depress should still work to drain things.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, UHD 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.24,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
RayCH
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,595
Message 7 of 10

Well, I tried the process. It can reset the system date but cannot change anything else. My p52 was still not able to boot. To sum up, contact support is the only way to deal with the issue.

Highlighted
TomaszW
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,295
Message 8 of 10

I contacted the customer service. 4 weeks ago. 3 times they did not keep the promised delivery date for part to be replaced. Escalated. Another promise with "free 3 months warranty extension as a goodwill". JOKE JOKE JOKE. Never ever again Lenovo. Broken computers i can buy cheaper on the scrap yard.

WikiSteve
Serial Port
Views: 2,241
Message 9 of 10

Adding to the list. I have a P1 Mobile Workstation (20MD) that has been sent RMA for this.
ogjerstad
Paper Tape
Views: 2,213
Message 10 of 10

After getting my motherboard on my brand new P52 replaced, I installed BIOS 1.17. Changing to Discrete graphics is working now

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors