cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sangwinacher
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,449
Message 1 of 30

P52s -After Newest Power Mgmt Driver, Speakers Make Popping Noise When Connected to Thunderbolt Dock

I used System Upate to install the latest Lenovo Power Management Driver 1.67.14.05.  After this, I've noticed that my external speakers which are plugged into the Thunderbolt Dock pop whenever there is some sort of audio/video on the screen right as it loads or after leaving a web page even if no video/audio is actually playing.  This also occurs outside of just webpages, with an application that gives me audio notifications, there's a subtle pop before the sounds plays as well.

I isolated the issue down to the Thunderbolt Dock only.  If I plug my speakers into the laptop directly and use the built-in Realtek HD Audio, no issue at all.  Something changed with regards to how audio is output through the dock and/or with this latest Power Management Driver update.  It's actually very annoying the popping sound that the speakers make, especially when they're turned up loud. 

I tried some old solution that was Windows 10 specific with changing the minimum processor % while plugged in to 100% instead of the default of 5% in the power settings but that didn't help at all.  I'm pretty confident that this latest driver is what introduced this new issue.

Anyone else experiencing this same issue, feel free to comment.

sangwinacher
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,438
Message 2 of 30

Re: P52s -After Newest Power Mgmt Driver, Speakers Make Popping Noise When Connected to Thunderbolt

Also, to clarify, the speakers are Logitech Z623 using the 3.5mm input.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,412
Message 3 of 30

Re: P52s -After Newest Power Mgmt Driver, Speakers Make Popping Noise When Connected to Thunderbolt

I know nothing abut this issue, but it appears there is a significant problem with the latest released 1.67.14.5 version of Lenovo Power Manager insofar as it impacted Hotkeys onscreen display.  This was described for Win7 and other model laptops, but it could have a more far reaching effect as well.  Current forum thread from just today.

Advice from Lenovo is to temporarily roll back to previous problem-free 1.67.14.4 (for Win7 anyway).  My advice to you is to do the same, until Lenovo can determine what is currently broken and releases an updated version.

sangwinacher
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,407
Message 4 of 30

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't see a way to revert in System Update, or are you saying find the old version on Lenovo's site and re-install that one?
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,404
Message 5 of 30

Please read the Lenovo-provided suggested rollback method in this other thread.

sangwinacher
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,388
Message 6 of 30

Thank you DSperber! Rolling back fixed the audio issue, appreciate you replying.
chu1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,345
Message 7 of 30

wonder how can I roll back to the previous version or get the download

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,332
Message 8 of 30

@chu1 wrote:

wonder how can I roll back to the previous version or get the download

Read message #5 just two posts up in this thread:

"Please read the Lenovo-provided suggested rollback method in this other thread."  If you click on the active blue link (under the words "in this other thread") at the end of the sentence it will take you to the solution provided by Lenov in that other thread.  For convenience I'll quote that post from Lenovo engineering right here, below:

This issue is discussed here:  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Latest-Power-Management-Driver-Conflicts...

It seems to be a problem with the latest version of Power Management Driver.  To avoid the problem, follow these steps:

1.  Open Device Manager

2.  Expand "System Devices" category

3.  Double-click on "Lenovo PM Device"

4.  Click on "Driver" tab, and then click on the "Roll Back Driver" button.

I believe verion 1.67.14.4 is OK, but 1.67.14.5 is bad.  

chu1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,316
Message 9 of 30

thanks, I got it roll back, the hotkey and on screen display are working again
sangwinacher
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,246
Message 10 of 30

Just curious if your issue came back?  Mine just did even on the old driver, not sure what may have updated on my system, but I haven't done any Lenovo-specific updates, but the issue is back... very frustrating.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors