cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agazpp
Token Ring
Views: 1,415
Message 21 of 174

Re: P53 Performance Issues - Thermal/Power Throttling?

See my other thread on P73 performance issue;

Similar issue;

GPU will go to limp whenever laptop is moved, touched or else;

Temp fix was to unisntall Lenovo's power management sofware / drivers; Few items;

Nothing is lost (really), laptop works as it should

P73 6c Xeon, RTX 5000, 2TB NVMe Samsung x 2, 7.6TB 2.5 SATA Micron SSD, 64gb ECC ram
Prior: Razer Blade Pro, Variety of Mac Books (2001 - 2015)
ve2mrx
802.11n
Views: 1,415
Message 22 of 174

Hi Linux0,
I'm not familiar with the T540p. The reason I recommend you test with the pre-installed OS is that if you have issues there, Lenovo will be able to test and fix any hardware issue you might have like a malfunctioning thermal solution.

Also, make sure the various firmwares are up to date, especially the Embedded Controller. The fans are usually controlled by the EC.

Once Windows works as intended, you will know Linux issues won't be hardware-related and bug reports will in order.

The system was designed for the included OS, and getting it to work right should be your first step.

Martin
I'm a user, NOT a Lenovo employee. If my post helped, consider giving me a Kudos. If I solved your issue, please mark it as Solved.
P52 I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 512GB-SSD 1TB-HDD
Highlighted
ve2mrx
802.11n
Views: 1,412
Message 23 of 174

Hi agazpp,
The "moved" issue looks like the performance setting of Lenovo Vantage. You should try using the "Enterprise" version of Lenovo Vantage (see here: New version of Lenovo Vantage (10.xxxx) is missing features) and:

• Go to Hardware settings > Smart Settings > Intelligent Cooling - Performance.
  • Go to Hardware settings >Power > Airplane Mode - Off.
  • Set Windows 10 1903 slider to "Performance".

Sorry, I'm not in front of my machine so I cannot be precise at this time. Search this forum for more info.

Martin

Edited the post with the precise information.

I'm a user, NOT a Lenovo employee. If my post helped, consider giving me a Kudos. If I solved your issue, please mark it as Solved.
P52 I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 512GB-SSD 1TB-HDD
MMLMTT
Paper Tape
Views: 1,328
Message 24 of 174

Hi ve2mrx 

I have just seen your reply, and thank you very much for taking the time. I actually gave it back for a full refund, I will give it a shot probably next year with P54, and if they keep with the same QA issue, I will disable the whole Lenovo from my list.

Xyphota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,244
Message 25 of 174

Hey Wakefield, did you ever get your thinkpad sorted out, or are you still waiting it out? We have the exact same P53 thinkpads, and you described my situation exactly. Im mostly using if for CAD which it does no problem, but a few minutes after a game is booted it up it turns into a potato.

Cheers!
agazpp
Token Ring
Views: 1,195
Message 26 of 174

Another 5c ...

Such throttling behaviour may occur due to insufficient / faulty power supply;

This is what would happen if you hook up P73 with RTX5000 with 170W PSU instaed of 230W and load it up (booth CPU and GPU)

GPU-Z will read both power/thermal, GPU will drop to 300mhz every second or so

In many cases laptop will tell you that is powered and is charging just alright ... there will be no warning

With real thermal throtting (one caused by high temp which is 86C for P73 it seems, not sure what it would be for P53 in question) it should only present thermal as a reason for cap;

I did a test run with 170W PSU and it would go limp way below 80C and the reason stated would be power / thermal; With 230W everything is cool;

Also one can install RTX 2080 mobile driver from NVidia; This one will work but will push frequencies much harder; In my case, 5 minutes of PUBG will cause thermal throttle (86C), yet still smooth and playable. With Quaddro driver frequincies will be about 10% lower, temps will settle around 82C and there would be no throtting; It is possible to avoid throtting and squeeze a little extra performance with RTX 2080 driver by using those external usb-powered fan sucker thingies ....

P73 6c Xeon, RTX 5000, 2TB NVMe Samsung x 2, 7.6TB 2.5 SATA Micron SSD, 64gb ECC ram
Xyphota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,157
Message 27 of 174

I finally got my computer working properly! My P53 is able to run VR no problem now, and Apex Legends at max settings on 1080p I am able to run at 90+ FPS. Things I did to fix the issue:

1. Fresh Install of windows 10 (this initially did not change anything)

2. uninstall/disable the lenovo power management, PM, thermal solution drivers

3. These drivers kept reinstalling themselves on restart and I could not seem to prevent this. "disabling" them appears to keep them disabled after restart, but I also downloaded "Autoruns" and unchecked all the lenovo items. I'm not 100% sure if this helped solve this issue.

4. I set the display to only run on the dGPU in the bios

5. I installed an older version of the RTX 4000 driver. I am currently using driver: R430 U7 (431.94), released Sep. 25, 2019

I have not installed Vantage or any other program. Using GPU-Z, my GPU speed and clock speed both hover around 1500 Mhz now, where as they were locked at 300 Mhz or 100 Mhz respectively before the fix.

My computer is the i9, RTX 4000, 32GB ram, 4k display. I am currently running the display on 1920 x 1080 for SolidWorks, but this should be unrelated.

Special Thanks to agazpp and FreedomReapr in this thread and the other one for all the help and suggestions!

wwakefield
Paper Tape
Views: 1,109
Message 28 of 174

So I haven't completely solved it yet, but I haven't had (or taken) time to really experiment as my CAD and buisiness stuff has been working fine. I know the game is still dropping to lower frame rates; so still pretty frustrating.

I'll run through the steps you've taken and see if that helps.

ChronicH2oDog
Paper Tape
Views: 1,070
Message 29 of 174

I have recently purchased a P53 with nVIDIA Quadro 2000, i7-9850H CPU, and have had issues with external displays dropping from 60 fps to 20 fps when I close the lid and only use external monitors connected to a USB-C gen2 Lenovo dock, both at 60Hz.  I have sent it in twice for repair and they did nothing to fix the problem.  Windows settings are set to do nothing when lid is closed.  In the nVIDIA control panel, I recently set the PhysX to GPU or CPU instead of the recommended auto-select and the issue goes away. Any ideas if this is good, bad, or if it does not matter would be appreciated.

agazpp
Token Ring
Views: 1,049
Message 30 of 174

Although I can't comment on the issue itself, sounds like a weird bug of sots;

I would cautiously say that hardware accelerated PhysX isn't very relevant these days; Hardly anything uses it;

As such offloading it to GPU shouldn't cause any troubles down the road;

On a side note this should probably be posted under its own thread as it has no relevance to thermal/power throttling

Thanks!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors