cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Avazquezes
Paper Tape
Views: 1,102
Message 41 of 174

Re: P53 Performance Issues - Thermal/Power Throttling?

it comes with 8gb. The intel app does not show the correct data.
La_Marmotte
Punch Card
Views: 1,092
Message 42 of 174

@Avazquezes Thanks for sharing. As I can see you got the exact same specs as the P53 I'm targetting to buy real soon. You did a great job. I'll have a couple more questions, after that I stop bothering you Smiley Tongue I just wanna make sure mine will work fine just in case I come across some of those issues mentionned so far:

• Did you need to do a fresh install of windows? If so, did you format your drive beforehand?
  • Have you uninstalled some Lenovo/Vantage related softwares or drivers?
  • What about fan noise under load, and idle? And while playing games?
  • Can you confirm that Discrete mode is enable in your bios?
  • Lastly, did you repaste and undervolt your cpu?

Done! Thanks in advance for your time. Your answers will surely help me make up my mind and be really useful for the others as well.

Avazquezes
Paper Tape
Views: 1,018
Message 43 of 174

I got it with W10 home but I replaced it for W10 Enterprise.

I did a clean installation so 0 software from Lenovo. I did install the L. Vantage later.

Sound on idle is 0, but when start using the power of the beast the fan noise is very intense.

I did setup on bios to use just the discrete graphic card.

No, I haven't repasted neither undervolt the cpu.
MHXT1138
Paper Tape
Views: 979
Message 44 of 174

I had the same issues as described in this post. What ended up (mostly) working for me, was the following:

• Downloading and installing the latest Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Driver for Windows 10, found here.
  • Downloading and installing Lenovo Vantage Enterprise and following the instructions in the article found here.
  • Making sure that I was using the Balanced power plan in Windows 10 Power Options.
  • Clicking the battery icon on the taskbar, and moving the on-screen slider all the way to the right (best performance).

My P53 has not had its memory clock throttled after that, and everything seems to run a lot smoother. The only issue I have is that the GPU clock never reaches its highest potential, and mostly stays under 700mhz, but this could be from lack of testing.

Highlighted
La_Marmotte
Punch Card
Views: 976
Message 45 of 174

All right, thanks a lot! I've just ordered my P53 today! Should be in my hands in two weeks. I'll keep you guys posted should it be any trouble down the road. Do you think repasting it out of the box is necessary?

nvsnow
SCSI Port
Views: 852
Message 46 of 174

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't do any kind of thermal pasting out of the box. My recommendation is to stick with the mainstream benchmarking and monitoring tools and compare notes with others here.

The 'Thermal' capping I'm running into seems to be a result of bad driver or hardware issue because temps don't even seem to play a direct role. For example, I'll get throttled indefinitely even when the sensors are showing GPU/CPU temps at low temps. After all these months of struggle, not sure if I'll regain full confidences with a replacement...

Will one driver or bios update set the whole thing off again? Ugh- don't want to think about it too much.

I'm in similar boat with GPU rarely going over 700-800 Mhz and it should be getting to around 1700.

SvenDJ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 814
Message 47 of 174

Hi guys,

I have the same serious issue with my brand-new P53. The problem is indeed NOT related to any graphics driver or any temporal problem. The cause of the performance drop is ONLY the "intelligent" thermal solution service (ITS), which tries to avoid burns laps in "lap mode".

When you touch your P53, tilt it or just accidentally hit the table the laptop is on, the ITS service will set the laptop to "lap mode" and then the damage is done! From that point on, the laptop will never get performance again.

To be precise: Lap mode is a one way street with a dead end. There seems to be no way to set OFF the "lap mode" and bring the laptop back to normal state again.

What helps is: Rebooting windows, setting it to stand-by and wake it up again, but surely this is not a good solution. I am not really happy with this. My current pareto-optimal solutIon is a script that restarts the ITS service again (stop; start):

SET SUDO=C:\prog\nirsoft\nircmd.exe elevate
%SUDO% net stop LITSSvc
%SUDO% net start LITSSvc

As you need to be admin to do so, I needed to find a way to elevate the stop and start command. This is also something I don't like. If you have a good enhancement here, please tell me.

At least I can now start the batch file, accept the evevation dialog two times and work/play on without having to reboot or stand-by. This is better than nothing, but not really optimal.

Besides that thermal/lap-mode problem, you definitely(!) have to set battery/energy mode to "Lenovo Intelligent..." at least once (left-click on battery tray icon) and put the performance slider to max. performance. If you have never ever set that to max. performance, you will never get the max performance - NOT EVEN if you select you own "highest performance" energy config with all up to 100%.

What we all really want is that either Lenovo stops the "intelligent" power management and gives back control to the user (avoid burning your lap by simply setting a lower energy config), or, at least install some more "intelligence" to wake up from "lap mode" when there is no fan blocked and no movement detected - how complicated can that be??

I also tried to deactivate the accelerators (Active Protection System) or Power Management etc., but I was not able to do this - how do you do that? And, does that really help? Because: when you simple stop (not run) the ITS service, then performance is also gone. That is, performance is opt-in it seems - only with ITS up and running and detecting there was NEVER a movement, only then the performance is give a "go", otherwise you are in pittyful "lap mode" - forever.

Once, I tried to deinstall (remove!) Power Mangement, APS and cooling stuff in the device manager (system components), but then my windows did not even boot any more, so, that wasn't a solution.

I'm eager to read more ideas to fix this really painful situation. Maybe at least my script helps some guys here.

agazpp
Token Ring
Views: 801
Message 48 of 174

I uninstalled some drivers/devices and deactivated others; Don't remember which ones specifically;

Everything seems to be working fine up to date;

I had to redo several times ( post Win 10 update); Updated drivers several times also ...

P73 6c Xeon, RTX 5000, 2TB NVMe Samsung x 2, 7.6TB 2.5 SATA Micron SSD, 64gb ECC ram
Prior: Razer Blade Pro, Variety of Mac Books (2001 - 2015)
SvenDJ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 791
Message 49 of 174

Thx agazpp! Sorry for the annoyance, but please, let me ask:

1. When you move your laptop (take it up, tilt, etc) is the latop still at full power after that?

2. Do you actually remark a short-time performance drop while you are moving ("shaking") the laptop?

3. Could you please check which drivers/devices you removed and which your disabled? I see the following "interesting looking" ones in my device manager:

• Intel(R) Thermal Subsystem
  • Lenovo Active Protection System Driver
  • Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution
  • Lenovo PM Device
  • Lenovo Power Manger
  • (There may be more, but these are the ones I saw.)

And then there are these services currently installed and running on my windows:

• Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Service
  • Lenovo PM Service
  • Sensor Service <-- that could also be one big problem maker!?
  • (There may be more, but these are the ones I saw.)

I don't want to break my windows again, so, I would rather not "play around" here too much. Could you tell me which drivers and which services you deinstalled / removed / disabled? Thanks a lot in advance!!

agazpp
Token Ring
Views: 788
Message 50 of 174

Lemme check ...

P73 6c Xeon, RTX 5000, 2TB NVMe Samsung x 2, 7.6TB 2.5 SATA Micron SSD, 64gb ECC ram
Prior: Razer Blade Pro, Variety of Mac Books (2001 - 2015)

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors