Did you mean: 
-Gudi-
Punch Card
Views: 486
Message 131 of 174

Re: GPU Throttling Mystery SOLVED!

BIOS
Boot Display Device: USB Type-C
Graphic Device: Discrete Graphics (Hybrid gave me issues, and I need full RTX control in Windows - and had issues getting to the settings when the card was on/off based on application)

Intel SpeedStep
Mode for AC: Maximum Performance (I WISH it could switch based on application in Windows 10 - or if I start a specific application)
Adaptive Thermal
Scheme for AC: Maximum Performance

CPU Power Management: Enabled

TB3
Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode: Enabled
Security Level: No Security
Pre Boot Env Thunderbolt: Enabled

I dont use Vantage, but instead Lenovo System Update (but I plan on using Vantage Enterprise)

At no points have I experinced throttle due to the "APS" driver issue. But I had a ton of issues with my Thunderbolt 3 Workstation dock. And I did 3 Windows 10 re-installations (from MS source, not Lenovo) - also from reading this forum so I didn't end up with the issues mentioned at this forum.

I use the Nvidia driver 26.21.14.3140 and I dont see the "Lenovo APS" in device manager either.

I'm curious to why XTU don't keep my undervolting settings. I have to redo them every time Windows restarts. I also notice that it says battery settings "Balanced" in XTU settings. But I have the slider in Windows to  "Best Performance".
Also tried to add som APP-based-profiles, but I cant see any changes when launching the application. XtuService is running in the background.

Answer 4: I wouldnt be afraid of deleted every partition, otherwise your recovery partition might just stick with Lenovos bloated software. We all know a clean Windows 10 give the best performance.

-Gudi-
Punch Card
Views: 585
Message 132 of 174

Re: P53 Performance Issues - Thermal/Power Throttling?

@ve2mrx I'm just confused why I see thermal throttle AFTER i undervoltage - and only power throttle with standard settings. Thought it would be the other way around.
agazpp
Token Ring
Views: 583
Message 133 of 174

Wednesday morning wild guess:

(a) lower voltage -> (b) lower temp (initially) -> (d) higher (longer, more potent, not necessarily more power draw) boost -> (e) higher temps (than one pre-undervolt) due to d. (f)-> thermal throttle -> (o) temps need to drop lower than thermal throttle trigger termp, hence sits at TT

I have another concern howerver,

Is APS is really a cause here? ( software bug, incompatible sofware or bad config of sots) 

or

Is this a harware fault? (dead sonsors of sorts) which triggers chain of events leading to throttling?

If latter, how do we go about selling the unit when time comes? 

P73 6c Xeon, RTX 5000, 2TB NVMe Samsung x 2, 7.6TB 2.5 SATA Micron SSD, 64gb ECC ram
Prior: Razer Blade Pro, Variety of Mac Books (2001 - 2015)
SvenDJ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 559
Message 134 of 174

@nvsnowThe answer is: Reinstall Win10 - but not just any reinstall. Restoring the factory image OR downloading Lenovo's Media Recovery did not work for me. Instead,  downloading and installing Windows 10 from the Microsoft Site did the trick.

I am tempted to also re-install the whole windows from scratch, too. What about the windows license. It can't be read easily (if ever). Is it guaranteed to be "accessible", and will the new windows "find" it somewhere on/in the laptop?

Highlighted
Ezap
Punch Card
Views: 549
Message 135 of 174

Yeah the windows license is stored in the laptops bios, so after installation it will be activated automatically just make sure to download the correct version of windows you have the license for.

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 522
Message 136 of 174

What can we do about throttling under Linux?

Ezap
Punch Card
Views: 521
Message 137 of 174

I don't remember having throttling issues on Linux as the drivers that handle that are different I was actually getting better temps on Linux as it was not turbo boosting as heavly on CPU and GPU was always the same clock as windows because nvidia drivers. When I had my P53 I tested it on Manjaro and Fedora and I did not have any issue, except for other things like external display and sleep but that is a different story. 

nvsnow
SCSI Port
Views: 372
Message 138 of 174

wrote:
Hi nvsnow, thanks for the hardwork and sharing. I have some questions:

1. Can't we just change the computer name from LAPTOP- to DESKTOP- without reinstalling Windows?

2. If we download Windows from MS page or install Windows from a boxed usb thumb drive, where do we get all the drivers for the P53 and also vintage? Is there a site that we can download all the required drivers (not in the Windows OS)?

3. Does your method work for all CPU-GPU-LCD screen configuration(s) or only certain configurations?

4. If we reinstall windows, do we have to be careful or risk deleteing some hidden partitions such as factory image or other hidden partitions?

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------

Hello lenovotv No prob!

1. I think the defaulting-autogenerated device name is driven by something.. and that part is still a mystery. Not sure if it's a Laptop vs Desktop chassis setting or a recent change the BIOS or something else entirely.... Changing the name afterwards is just a user preference at that point. If this is BIOS related somehow, make sure you are on a recent version of the BIOS before upgrading. In which case, any method of re-installing Windows might work. Re-installation is exhausting - which is probably why Lenovo doesn't want to tell you and relying on us customers to tell you. Smiley Wink

2. You won't see any 'unknown' devices if you use Windows alone, but you might not get the latest for everything. For additional options, you can use Vantage (I'm using the version on the MS Store) and visiting Lenovo P53 Drivers/Support Page. This process seemed to be the same regardless of using Thumbdrive, Recovery Partition or MS Download. When I used the MS Download, I was surprised to see the Candy Crush game which I thought was Lenovo bloat.. but I still had to uninstall. doh!

3. Should work in any config, however, I reinstalled while Hybrid Video in BIOS. Also, possibly worth mentioning, I noticed that my BIOS had max performance for both AC and BAttery. I may have forgotton to reset it. Again, not sure of the significance of that during install.

4. No concern.. especially since you can always go back to MS to download.

Hope this helps!

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 470
Message 139 of 174

Thanks. Try Pop OS. I installed it on P53. No problem with external display nor sleep as far as I recall.
lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 470
Message 140 of 174

Am I correct that all these CPU and GPU performance issues on the P53 have now been resolved and it is OK to re-order?

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors