cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Avazquezes
Paper Tape
Views: 1,041
Message 31 of 173

Re: P53 Performance Issues - Thermal/Power Throttling?

Hi all!, 

Looks like all here are having the same issue with our P53, as usual when playing so, based on all different suggestion the main issue is that the laptop has lack of power due to the incomplete setup of the power mode. If you install Lenovo Vantage there is a suggestion to increase the power from the battery button, if you click on that icon you will see that the battery power mode can be change to Best Performance, increasing the power

battery.jpg

There is also a few tweaks that you can do directly on BIOS to run best performance.

Following that, I have now 0 problems with gaming and with the performance of the laptop at all. Only pity point is the sound of the fans...

nvsnow
SCSI Port
Views: 952
Message 32 of 173

Is it still working properly? I feel as though each 'fix' I implement somehow eventually revert back to the memory clock stuck at 100-200 MHz. I prefer not to resort to complete re-install of OS - although it'll be easier for me to do now rather than later.

Currently running Quadro RTX 3000 on P53 also running the Sept 5 version of the driver. That one seems to be a bit more reliable than the Nov 4th version.
Avazquezes
Paper Tape
Views: 860
Message 33 of 173

Hi,

Yes, the system is super stable now and performance is extremely good. After setting up correctly the power with Best Performance all apps are running excellent.

- World Of Warcraft is running at 4k with settings all max 60fps, no fps dropping after large time using it.

- 3D Mark time spy testing gave me 6550 score, I saw people with same setup getting >7000 but 6550 is a very good result.

- DOOM: 4k with all graphics at max, 60fps, no drops.

No throttling at all, so very happy at the moment with the performance in general.

I also disabled the Intel's via BIOS.

Xyphota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 744
Message 34 of 173

Just an update on my P53. I was having exact same issues as OP, I seemed to have fixed them for a week or two, but now my computer is back to being throttled almost all the time. Ive played around with installing different versions of the graphics drivers to no avail. If anyone else manages to figure it out, please let me know lol.

Recap of stuff I did to originally alleiviate issue:

1. Fresh install of windows 10 from bootable USB

2. Remove/Disable the Lenovo PM, Power Management, Intelligent Cooling Drivers

3. Installed "Autoruns" and unchecked all lenovo products

4. Swapped Computer to only run on dGPU in the BIOS

5. Installed Nvidia Driver 431.94 (a bit older).

I have since purchased a 230W gen 2 thunderbolt dock, which may be related to the issue somehow? I will try to see if the removing the dock from the equation makes a difference.

nvsnow
SCSI Port
Views: 683
Message 35 of 173

I've tried many iterations of what's considered a 'clean' or reset and still find the dGPU throttling very inconsistent. Even the new Lenovo BIOS and latest Nvidia drivers don't seem to address the issue.

GatsbyGlen
Token Ring
Views: 658
Message 36 of 173

@ve2mrx wrote:

Hi agazpp,
The "moved" issue looks like the performance setting of Lenovo Vantage. You should try using the "Enterprise" version of Lenovo Vantage (see here: New version of Lenovo Vantage (10.xxxx) is missing features) and:

• Go to Hardware settings > Smart Settings > Intelligent Cooling - Performance.
  • Go to Hardware settings >Power > Airplane Mode - Off.
  • Set Windows 10 1903 slider to "Performance".

Sorry, I'm not in front of my machine so I cannot be precise at this time. Search this forum for more info.

Martin

Edited the post with the precise information.

I wonder when the store version will have all the features?

The throttle issue seems to happen for me when connecting an external monitor. Rebooting solves the issue, although that's not an ideal solution.

nvsnow
SCSI Port
Views: 606
Message 37 of 173

@GatsbyGlen wrote:

@ve2mrx wrote:

Hi agazpp,
The "moved" issue looks like the performance setting of Lenovo Vantage. You should try using the "Enterprise" version of Lenovo Vantage (see here: New version of Lenovo Vantage (10.xxxx) is missing features) and:

• Go to Hardware settings > Smart Settings > Intelligent Cooling - Performance.
  • Go to Hardware settings >Power > Airplane Mode - Off.
  • Set Windows 10 1903 slider to "Performance".

Sorry, I'm not in front of my machine so I cannot be precise at this time. Search this forum for more info.

Martin

Edited the post with the precise information.

I wonder when the store version will have all the features?

The throttle issue seems to happen for me when connecting an external monitor. Rebooting solves the issue, although that's not an ideal solution.

In that situation, an even quicker fix the speed is to close the lid to enable Sleep mode then quickly recover from the throttling nonense.... at least for awhile.. 

Time to call our buddies at Lenovo. Wish me luck!

La_Marmotte
Punch Card
Views: 422
Message 38 of 173

@Avazquezes Hi! Looks like you're the one P53 user to have no problem with your machine! Could you tell us more about the specs please? Also, could you share your Windows/Nvidia/Bios version? Is Intel Virtualization VT enabled in your bios? Do you have lenovo power management installed? 

I know that's a lot of questions in one post, sorry... but, since you happen to have found some kind of magic recipe to make your laptop running properly without issues, maybe you can give us the ingredients... Was just wonderingSmiley Wink

Avazquezes
Paper Tape
Views: 400
Message 39 of 173

Hi !,

Sure, not a problem.

My P53 has the following specs:

the intel extreme util. is not picking the right amount of Gb for the nvidia.. 

p53_specs.jpg

I have installed the Lenovo Vantage enterprise --> https://support.lenovo.com/ro/en/solutions/hf003321 , which just gives you a bit more control. 

I have Virtualization Enabled and use it every day, docker, etc..

I´m using latest nvidia drivers 441.12 DHC from official nvidia website.

As I said on previous post, the major issue I found was that the Power Management was not set as Best Performance. When I was able to change it the laptop started working without any issue and it still without problems.

Mennovandijk
Punch Card
Views: 392
Message 40 of 173

Myself ordered a P53 yesterday.. got around 800 Euro discount so I couldn't resist .. My P50 has served me without problems for the last 3 years, so fingers crossed ;-)
Thanks for your overview, I see you have a
Quadro RTX 4000 with 4GB Memory?

I thought this GPU comes with 8GB

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors