cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
La_Marmotte
Punch Card
Views: 414
Message 71 of 173

Re: P53 Performance Issues - Thermal/Power Throttling?

Does anyone knows if we can reinstall windows on the P53 from the tool supplied by Microsoft instead of using the "Windows recovery media USB" from lenovo?

ThinkpadIL
Token Ring
Views: 410
Message 72 of 173

@La_Marmotte: Yes, you can do that - no problem. I haven't personally seen a P53 yet but you can install a "vanilla" microsoft OS (or any other OS compatible with the x86-64 hardware) on any other Thinkpad, including Thinkpads from the current generation, and there is no reason why P53 would be any different in this regard. You'd need to download and install tons of drivers after that though.

La_Marmotte
Punch Card
Views: 394
Message 73 of 173

@ThinkpadIL Thanks! That's what I'm planning to do when I get mine next week. But how about the product key required during installation, where could I find it? I still don't know if it is noted somewhere as you take your new thinkpad out of the box???

I want to test it up before and after a fresh windows installation (without any lenovo softwares), using 3DMark, HWMonitor and Cinebench. Then I'll make sure to post my review and analysis on this thread. Like everyone, I'll try everything I can do to make it work at its best, going by its specs on the paper..although I'm not at all confident about the real performances expected according to what you can read from the owners. We're talking about a 3000-4000€ machine, so either it works fine or it gets shipped back to China right away...

Lenovo, please do something.

Branagh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 382
Message 74 of 173

@nvsnow: Thanks for the kind message. Well, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at since I left my comment to say that throttling and downclocking does no longer occur because Win10 does no longer prevent the fan from doing its job. Just wanted to share the information that the advice of setting the energy status from "better" to "best" has worked for me (a rediculous "fix" if you ask me).

Branagh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 380
Message 75 of 173

@La_Marmotte: I think that nowadays the Windows key is most often stored in the BIOS and Windows will automatically be activated when you install it on the machine. Someone might want to confirm that, though.

nvsnow
SCSI Port
Views: 356
Message 76 of 173

@Branagh wrote:

@nvsnow: Thanks for the kind message. Well, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at since I left my comment to say that throttling and downclocking does no longer occur because Win10 does no longer prevent the fan from doing its job. Just wanted to share the information that the advice of setting the energy status from "better" to "best" has worked for me (a rediculous "fix" if you ask me).

Sure. What I was getting is that you may run into throttling issues and I was explaining how you could possibly replicate it.. 

If you unplug your laptop and plug it back it, it might stay in battery/throttle mode until you 1) reboot 2) close/open lid 3) restart Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Service or 4) some other event. Are you able to try that and let us know what kind of results you're getting? Also, are you in Hybrid mode or Discrete only?

Thanks!

ThinkpadIL
Token Ring
Views: 341
Message 77 of 173

@La_Marmotte: the product key is stored in the BIOS. Windows pulls it automatically and activates itself once you are online. You don't need to do anything in order to make this work.

If you decide to do a fresh installation, I would recommend you to image the device before that so you can go back, just in case.

Also while this sort of problems is embarrassing to Lenovo, if there is a workaround for them, I would not hurry to ship the machine back since it looks like it's mostly a software issue and they will likely eventually fix this. Also I think while Lenovo has the responsibility, they are also in a difficult situation here because of the rapid pace of changes in Windows 10 and the software QA disaster that this pace brings with it.

Branagh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 339
Message 78 of 173

@nvsnow: Ah well, I probably haven't made myself clear enough, I no longer have throttling issues at all. So, for me, unplugging means the memory clock goes down to 800Mhz while the GPU clock remains stable. When I plug in clock speeds instantly go up to normal, however. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to try and help!

ThinkpadIL
Token Ring
Views: 331
Message 79 of 173

@Branagh: sorry if you explained that already. Did you make any modifications to the OS, drivers, devices etc since the time you received the computer, or was it just the BIOS update that solved the problem for you? Also, could you please write which CPU and GPU your computer has?

Branagh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 314
Message 80 of 173

@ThinkpadIL: I have an RTX3000 and an i7-9850H. I did not switch to the discrete graphics mode in BIOS, nor did I make any other change in BIOS. My laptop came with a preinstalled windows which only had the bare minimum of Lenovo software so I did not reinstall Windows. I installed the latest Nvidia DHC drivers from the Nvidia homepage . I do not use Lenovo Vantage.

I repeat: My problems were NOT solved by a BIOS update (even though I did, in fact, update it today), they were solved by changing the power mode to best performance as described by avasquezes on the first post on page 4 of this thread.

My guess is that a weird interaction by the Lenovo power management drivers and Windows's power management settings prevented the fans from actually cooling the system.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors