Message 1 of 9

P53S - Bios boot order not followed

The boot order in my bios is:

Windows Boot Manager

USB CD

USB HDD

SSD

[other things]

However, when I plug in a bootable USB thumb drive and restart, the computer ignores it and instead boots to the internal SSD.  I can boot to the thumb drive by hitting F12 and selecting it, but it seems I shouldn't have to do that.  Why isn't the boot order being followed?  If it matters, I have fast boot turned off and have disabled hibernation.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 229
Message 2 of 9

Re: P53S - Bios boot order not followed

Is that the boot order you see with the flash drive plugged in?  What are "other things"?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 221
Message 3 of 9

It followed the boot order.  Windows boot manager is first (loaded from the volume boot code, which is part of the volume boot record on the HDD or SSD).  That will start whatever was specified the last time windows was shut down, in your case, the first hard drive.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
rtj49
Punch Card
Views: 196
Message 4 of 9

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

Is that the boot order you see with the flash drive plugged in?  What are "other things"?

Z.

Yes, that's with the flash drive plugged in.  Other things are things I don't have, such as ATA HDD, floppy drive, etc.

rtj49
Punch Card
Views: 193
Message 5 of 9

@richk wrote:

It followed the boot order.  Windows boot manager is first (loaded from the volume boot code, which is part of the volume boot record on the HDD or SSD).  That will start whatever was specified the last time windows was shut down, in your case, the first hard drive.

Well then can I move the boot manager to third in the list so the USB CD and USB HDD will always be checked first?  Do I risk making the computer unbootable if I test different orders?  If it matters, the thumb drive and CD are used when making and restoring images of the SSD.  One is the Recovery drive I flashed early on, and the other is an "Image for Linux" boot CD from TerabyteUnlimited.  Both boot properly when selected from F12, so both are UEFI and pass Secure Boot, etc.

This worked fine in Windows 7.  It automatically looked for a bootable device for each item in the boot order list, in succession, until it found one, then booted from that.  So if there was a bootable thumb drive inserted, it booted from that, otherwise from the HDD.  Perhaps that is no longer possible in Windows 10.  But then what would be the point of having the boot order list in bios?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 183
Message 6 of 9

Windows 10 is not windows 7.  (if you're old enough, you aren't in Kansas any more)  You won't ruin anything by disabling W.B.M. in the BIOS (You can always turning it back on) but some things won't work, like secure boot, fast startup, the selecting of boot device for a restart from within windows.  I thought about doing what you decribe and I decided needing to hit F12 or enter at startup wasn't so bad.  Don't move W.B.M. down.  Disable it or not.  Moving it down makes a mess IMO.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

rtj49
Punch Card
Views: 168
Message 7 of 9

@richk wrote:

Windows 10 is not windows 7.  (if you're old enough, you aren't in Kansas any more)  You won't ruin anything by disabling W.B.M. in the BIOS (You can always turning it back on) but some things won't work, like secure boot, fast startup, the selecting of boot device for a restart from within windows.  I thought about doing what you decribe and I decided needing to hit F12 or enter at startup wasn't so bad.  Don't move W.B.M. down.  Disable it or not.  Moving it down makes a mess IMO.

If  things don't work with the boot manager disabled, and if moving it down makes an undescribed mess, then it appears the boot order list in bios is of no value.  And if it is necessary to hit F12 to boot to anything other than the internal SSD, then it also appears that Win 10 is inferior to Win 7 in this regard.

Toto

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 158
Message 8 of 9

This really should e a discussion of UEFI vs. legacy boot.  You might want to read this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/how-to-stop-booting-from-windows-...

Rich

rtj49
Punch Card
Views: 152
Message 9 of 9

I tried moving the boot manager to third on the boot list, after the USB optical drive and USB HDD, but before the internal SSD.  And so far it works perfectly, and just as it did in Windows 7.  If both external devices are plugged in, it boots from the optical drive.  If only the optical drive is there, it boots from it.  If only the USB thumb drive is there, it boots from it.  If the bootable thumb drive is plugged in, and also  a WD MyPassport USB HDD which is not bootable, it boots from the thumb drive.  If only the MyPassort is plugged in, or nothing is  plugged in, it boots from the SSD.  This may come back to bite me later on, but so far it's doing exactly what I want it to do.

I found a number of articles saying the boot manager always had to be first, but apparently that's not the case, at least on the P53S.  So I take back my comments about Windows 10 being inferior, at least in this regard.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors