Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dougschmidt
Punch Card
Views: 847
Message 1 of 3

P70: BIOS Update Utility Question

I've seen this before when updating BIOS, just have not posted the question. I just updated my P70

BIOS to N1DET98W - 2.24

When running the utility there is a question with 2 choices:

- Update Thinkpad BIOS

or

- Update Model Number

I chose update BIOS, all is good updated successfully. Do I need to run utility again and select update model?

What is the difference between the two?

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 826
Message 2 of 3

Re: P70: BIOS Update Utility Question

You should never need to change the model number.  "Update the BIOS" does just that.  If your motherboard needs to be replaced by Lenovo, they will use the maintenance disk to set the model, serial and UUID.  You cannot get access to that tool and cannot change or set the serial number, but if you replace the motherboard with another one, you can change the 4-digit model number to help you retrieve updates.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
dougschmidt
Punch Card
Views: 820
Message 3 of 3

Re: P70: BIOS Update Utility Question

Thanks richk.

One other question, version 2.24 was just released, when I used Lenovo Vantage and System Update 5, they

both said no updates needed. Then when going to support.lenovo.com, used detect my system, and then I saw the new BIOS update and I installed it. Is there a delay with Vantage and System Update about knowing

newly released drivers/updates from when they are posted on the support site? Is there a way to get notified

(email) for when new drivers/updates are posted to the site? Or is it just a combination of using Vantage, System Update apps, and Service Bridge on support site?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors