Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bucks614
Fanfold Paper
Views: 171
Message 1 of 4

P70 -BIOS freezes with an NVME AND SATA drive installed

I have a weird issue with my P70's. I have six of them. They all have Windows 7 installed on NVME M2 drives. Recently we decided to get them on Windows 10 but keep the Windows 7 environment in place for a year or so in case the Win 7 environment is needed. We do not have a 2.5 inch drive at all.

So we bought an additional SATA M2 drive for each machine since the P70's have two M2 slots.

I installed the SATA M2 drive in the second slot and installed Windows 10 on it. No problem with that. I can hit F12 and load into either drive with no issues.

Here is my problem ... I wanted to go into the BIOS and set the new Windows 10 drive as the default so they don't have to hit F12 every time they boot up. When in the BIOS I hit the right arrow key to move to the startup options section. Once I get to that menu section the computer freezes and becomes completely unresponsive. You have to hold the power button down to turn it off. 

This behavior occurs on ALL 6 laptops. If I remove either drive the BIOS is once again responsive. I even tried swapping slots but the BIOS still locks up. I did a BIOS update but the issue persists.

So for now 2 of the machines luckily boot to the Windows 10 environment by default. The other 3 have to hit F12 on every boot up and select the Windows 10 drive. 

I do have one last laptop that will need to be done this month so I am trying to solve this before I can get my hands on it.

I am going to try having two SATA drives installed and see if it still locks up. I was also going to try and have two NVMe drives installed and see if the behavios persits ... but beyond that I don't know what else to try to figure this out.

It is clearly a conflict in having both drives in their at once. I know this is a very specific/weird issue but I was hoping to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks!

SeniorGuru
Views: 150
Message 2 of 4

Re: P70 -BIOS freezes with an NVME AND SATA drive installed

Had the same problem with my own P70, also with Win7 pre-installed originally and I added a second Win10 partition myself. I go through Boot Manager to select my OS (Win10 is now my default). I have three internal drives on my P70: (1) original 2.5" SATA HDD spinner now replaced with 2.5" SATA Samsung 850 Pro SSD, (2) two Samsung M.2 950 Pro NVMe.  Win7 and Win10 are in two partitions on NVMe0, with the second M.2 NVMe drive and 2.5" SSD used for data partitions.

First, the solution when you arrow-over to the STARTUP tab in the BIOS is simply to wait. It takes about 1-2 minutes to get past whatever it is in the latest 2.20 and newer BIOS versions that is incompatible with something in a recent change that had to do with USB. I found that reverting to BIOS 2.19 "cured" the problem and the machine behavior was back to normal, i.e. the regular way it used to work.  But I didn't want to be back-level in the BIOS, so I just waited it out. Eventually the BIOS will come back to life and you will be in the STARTUP tab and you can change the boot device sequence.

Note that you're then going to see a similar long delay when you go to the EXIT (or press F10 to save/exit).  Once again, just be patient. It will eventually un-freeze and complete the save/exit.

Now the genuine solution is to change the BIOS setting for "UEFI/Legacy Boot" to be "UEFI ONLY" instead of "BOTH" (with "Legacy first" as the boot priority) which I'm sure is what you have right now.  This setting is also in the STARTUP tab, so once you wait it out and get into that section make this change to "UEFI ONLY" as well as altering your boot device sequence.

Something about the USB-related changes in the recent 2.20+ BIOS versions has somehow produced this new negative impact regarding UEFI vs. Legacy booting, and that's what's causing the long freeze.  Going to UEFI ONLY clears up the issue (certainly it did for me) and has no effect in the ability to dual-boot to both Win7 and Win10.

Let me know if this works for you.

bucks614
Fanfold Paper
Views: 140
Message 3 of 4

THANK YOU! I was honestly not sure I was going to get a response or even find someone who understood what I was saying. I will try to wait it out on the next one. Yes I do have it set to both/legacy first. We are a tech company so the computers often boot to external devices and get imaged etc.

Thanks again!

SeniorGuru
Views: 135
Message 4 of 4

On your next opportunity to try my recommended "UEFI ONLY" solution please reply back here if it really did solve your problem as it did for me.

I think it's all tied to the presence of NVMe drives as well as SATA, mixed up with the connection of external USB drives (either flash or hard drive).  I found that if I removed any inserted USB drives that also helped avoid the long freeze getting into the BIOS (after pressing ENTER or F1) as well as arrowing over to the STARTUP tab.

Anyway, all of these anomalies disappeared for me once I went to "UEFI ONLY", and I'm running with the latest BIOS 2.26 installed on my P70.  Everything is now normal both getting into the BIOS as well as navigating through the BIOS tabs and exit/save or exit/discard, no matter whether USB drives are inserted or not. Hope it works for you too.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals