Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
microfishd1
Token Ring
Views: 761
Message 1 of 4

P70 DVD specs?

Hi all!

I was wondering a couple of things regarding the P70's built-in optical drive.

1) Is it a DVD burner?

2) Can it read (and burn) Dual-layer DVDs?

3) Can it read (and write) BR discs?

4) Is it "hot-swappable" the way it was on really old thinkpads (e.g. T40, T42, etc)?  If not, is it at least removeable?

5) what speed DVD drive is it?  What speed CD drive is it?

6) Where could I have looked this up online and saved you guys from looking this up?

Thanks!

-----------IBM T40: XP PRO SP3, 14.1" 4:3 display, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, ThinkLight, DVD.
Lenovo Ideacentre H215: AMD Athlon II X2 215, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win7, AMD 760G.
P50 i7, M2000M, 1x16GB RAM, 1080p non-touch, 512GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Backlight, No WWAN, No PWM, No Raid.
SeniorGuru
Views: 740
Message 2 of 4

Re: P70 DVD specs?

It is a CD/DVD burner drive.  Cannot read/write BluRay.

Supports DVD, SL and DL: Supported Read Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x

Supports CD: Supported Read Speeds: 10x, 16x, 20x, 24x

Device manager gives its Hardware ID as: SCSI\CdRomHL-DT-STDVDRAM_GUB0N____LVE1IMGBurn shows its read/write capabilities as follows:P70-optical-drive.jpg

Note that it is a 9.5mm super-slim drive, located at the side-left edge of the P70, near the front of the laptop.  Unfortunately the side of the laptop has an upward ergonomic curve , so that the front bezel of the optical drive also has this slight upward ergonomic curve.  In other words the front bezel of the drive it is not perfectly rectangular, but is slightly thinner on the right side as you look at it straight on, curving up slightly.

Most importantly, because of the slightly curved and simultaneously angled left side edge design of the P70 chassis, the optical bay tray housing lives on the lower-angle.  It's already very thin, but its location on the left front edge makes the location of the EJECT button essentially impossible to feel with any finger (especially if you are right-handed, and more accustomed to optical drives being on the right side of laptops, at the rear of the right side, with a perfectly rectangular front bezel and an EJECT button you can really feel "blind" because it is slightly raised.  Not so with the P70 and the optical drive on the front of the left edge, on the lower angle of the chassis, and with an EJECT button that is not raised in the slightest.

The tray will eject and the drive works fine, once you use some sharp pointed paperclip or something to push the EJECT button in so that the tray comes out slightly and you can then pull it the rest of the way.  Also, using a paperclip in the mechanical pinhole to cause it to eject will also work fine, if you can even find that pinhole on the bezel.

All in all, I bought an optical drive for my P70 because I knew I wanted it.  I was just unprepared for its location on the front left side edge.

I did attempt to replace it with a Panasonic super-slim UJ-272 BluRay drive, as I'd had total success replacing the 12.7mm optical drive in my W530 with an ultra-slim LG BT30N.  I fully expected to have total success with the same project on my P70, but unfortunately that was not the case.  The Panny drive fit ok, sort of, but there was just a small difference in the location of the EJECT microswitch on the front of the new drive which just didn't line up precisely with the location of the EJECT plastic button on the front Lenovo bezel (which after much struggling I'd finally managed to pry away from the Lenovo optical drive, and gotten re-attached to the Panny drive).

I also transferred the mounting brackets from the Lenovo drive to the UJ-272, and pushed it all the way into the bay so that the SATA connector surely was properly married inside the bay.  But for some reason the drive just would not work properly, and would not read/write all kinds of data on CD, audio CD, DVD, and BluRay. 

In the end I was disappointed to admit defeat, but ultimately was forced to return the Panny drive and reinstall the Lenovo factory drive which does work fine.

practical
802.11n
Views: 734
Message 3 of 4

Interesting.  Mine appears to be a Liteon version, model DU-8A6SH .

I suspect that Lenovo uses a variety of OEM suppliers and to preserve the flexibility of its sourcing choices and quite deliberately does not provide specs for these drives and other components.  Therefore, it is not possible to predict which specific device will be provisioned for any particular P70.

This device is removable BUT NOT HOT-SWAPPABLE, as was the case in earlier ThinkPad workstation models.

At present, it appears that there are no BluRay drives offered by Lenovo and no obvious, viable choices for thrid-party replacements to fit within a P70.  This is unfortunate.

Abstracted from: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/liteon-du-8a6sh-ultra-slim-95mm-notebook-8x-dvdplus-rw-dvd-ram-cd-rw...

--------------------------------------------------

LiteOn DU-8A6SH Ultra Slim, 9.5mm, Notebook 8x DVD+/-RW, DVD-RAM, CD-RW Optical Disc Drive, SATA, Black, ACPI, OEM

LiteOn Ultra Slim 8x DVDRW Burner Laptop SATA Optical Drive OEM
LiteOn Ultra Slim 8x DVDRW Burner Laptop SATA Optical Drive OEM
Product Overview
DU-8A6SH is a versatile optical disk drive. For CD write function, it is capable to write data, which conforms to Orange Book: Part 2 CD-R Volume 1 / Part 2 CD-R Volume 2 Multi Speed/ Part 3 CD-RW Volume 1 (known as Low Speed) / Part 3 CD-RW Volume2: High Speed / Part3 CD-RW Volume 3: Ultra Speed, into CD-R / RW disk in combination with write application software. For DVD write function, this drive confirms to DVD-RW Version 1.2 / DVD+RW Part 1 Volume 1 Version 1.3 / DVD+RW Part 1 Volume 2 Version 1.0 / DVD-R General Version 2.1 / DVD+R Version 1.3 / DVD-R9 Version 3.01 / DVD+R9 Version 1.2 / DVD-RAM (4.7G)Version 2.2. For read function, it is capable to read all of the following media: DVD single / dual layer (PTP, OTP), DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R9, DVD+R9, DVD-RAM. Besides, it reads all of CD formats and media: CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-ROM/XA, Photo-CD, Multi-session, Karaoke-CD, Video CD, CD-I FMV, CD Extra, CD Plus, CD-TEXT, CD-R and CD-RW.

The drive supports a DVD-ROM data transfer rate of 8X in the outer track, 3.3X in the inner track, and achieves 6X speed in average for a 12cm (4.7Gbyte, single layer) disc. For CD-ROM data transfer rate, it supports 24X in the outer track, 10X in the inner track, and achieves 19X speed in average for a 74 min disc. Besides, SMART-X function smartly adjusts CD-DA / VCD / DVD data extraction to a fastest allowable speed according to both data request rate from host and disk quality. Regarding to CD write speed, it supports CD-R 24X writing, CD-RW 24X re-writing/ DVD-RW 6X re-writing / DVD+RW 8X re-writing / DVD-R 8X writing / DVD+R 8X writing / DVD-R9 6X writing / DVD+R9 6X writing and DVD-RAM 5X writing. For writing/ rewriting, SMART-BURN® function can avoid buffer under run as well as get the best writing quality by smartly adjusting writing strategy.

DU-8A6SH is a multi-function drive with power saving, slim size and ultra light weight that it meets notebook computer as well as all kinds of compact or external applications.
Features
• 9.5mm height for notebook computer use
• High efficient power saving modes and ACPI compliant
• Fast access time and high data transfer rate, could be vertical mounted (optional)
• Max. 24X CD-ROM CAV (Constant Angular Velocity) reading
• Max. 24X CD-R PCAV writing
• Max. 24X CD-RW ZCLV rewriting
• Max. 8X DVD-ROM CAV reading
• Max. 6X DVD-RW ZCLV rewriting
• Max. 8X DVD+RW ZCLV rewriting
• Max. 8X DVD-R PCAV writing
• Max. 8X DVD+R PCAV writing
• Max. 6X DVD-R9 PCAV writing
• Max. 6X DVD+R9 PCAV writing
• Max. 5X DVD-RAM PCAV rewriting
• SMART-X Smart Monitoring & Adjusting Read-speed Technology for eXtraction
• SMART-BURN® Smart Monitoring & Adapting Recording Technology for Burning
• Buffer under run free
• Conform to Orange Book: Part 2 CD-R Volume 1, Part 2 CD-R Volume 2 Multi Speed, Part 3 CD-RW Volume 1 (1x, 2x, and 4x), Part 3 CD-RW Volume 2: High Speed, Part 3 CD-RW Volume 3: Ultra Speed. Support Fixed packet, Variable packet, Disc-at-once, Session-at-once and Track-at-once
• Support Over-Burn and Raw mode copy
• CD read compliant: CD-DA,CD-ROM, CD-ROM/XA , Photo-CD, Multi-session, Video-CD, CD-I FMV, CD Extra, CD Plus, CD-R , and CD-RW discs of 8 or 12 cm diameter
• DVD read compliant: DVD single / dual layer (PTP, OTP), DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-R multi-borders, DVD+R, DVD+R multi-sessions, DVD-R9, DVD+R9 and DVD-RAM discs with diameter of 8 or 12 cm 22. Support DOS 6.xx, Windows 2000/XP/Vista and Windows 7/8/8.1, Linux operating system
• ATA-8, MMC-6, SFF-8090 V7, and IMAPI compliant
• MPC level 3, PC2001 System Design Guide, MultiRead/UDF compliant
• 3 tray-eject methods – eject button, software, and emergency eject
• Supported transfer mode: Ultra DMA mode 6
• MTBF 60,000 POH
Technical Specification
General
Manufacturer: Lite On Drive Type: DVD±RW Interface: SATA Disc Loading: Tray Disc Labelling Technology: N/A CD Writing Speed:
  • 24 x CD-R
  • 4 x CD-RW
  • 10 x HS-RW
  • 16 x U+ S-RW
  • 24 x US-RW
DVD Writing Speed:
  • 8 x DVD+R
  • 6 x DVD+R DL
  • 8 x DVD+RW
  • 8 x DVD-R
  • 6 x DVD-R DL
  • 5 x DVD-RAM
  • 6 x DVD-RW
  • 6 x DVD-RW DL
Blu-ray Writing Speed:   CD Read Speed:
  • 24 x CD-ROM
DVD Read Speed:
  • 8 x DVD-ROM
Blu-ray Read Speed:   M-DISC Support: No
Views: 727
Message 4 of 4

@practical wrote:

At present, it appears that there are no BluRay drives offered by Lenovo and no obvious, viable choices for thrid-party replacements to fit within a P70.  This is unfortunate.

I really did expect my Panasonic UJ-272 effort to go well.  The drive does have the 9.5mm super-slim profile required, and I had no problem transferring the front bezel and rear chassis attaching bracket from the Lenovo drive over to the UJ-272.  All the screwholes and push-holes in the new drive were exactly where they should have been, so I think the manufacturing specs for replacement hardware must be adhered to by everyone.

I actually thought maybe my original UJ-272 was just defective, so I returned it for a replacement.  But the second one failed the same way as the first did, so obviously it really was some kind of compatibility issue and it just didn't work in the P70.  Standard SATA drive connection, so you wonder how it could be incompatible.  And yet, it just didn't work... not to mention the annoying EJECT problem (which is already bad enough even with the Lenovo factory drive).

In the end, it's not really critical. I play commercial BluRay discs on my Oppo player and HDTV, and don't really need my P70 for this kind of entertainment (not to mention needing the intrusive CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra or similar).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors