Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cillian01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,911
Message 1 of 9

P70 Display Settings

How do people have their Intel Graphics Color Settings set up? I've been tinkering with it for a month now, and also adjusted the Windows Display Settings, but it always looks poor in some way.

If lighter colors look good, dark colors are almost black and hard to differentiate. If darker colors look good, lighter colors become completely blown out.

What do people have set up for Brightness/Contrast/Gamma/Hue/Saturation?

Khakiass
Token Ring
Views: 1,845
Message 2 of 9

Re: P70 Display Settings

Which LCD did your P70 ship with?  FHD, FHD with multitouch, or 4k?

Your best bet would be to determine the make / manufacturer of your particular LCD panel, and then use a color profile that has been calibrated for that panel to get your colors "true."  Notebookcheck.net is a great site to find these files for Lenovos and other models, as they color calibrate every model they review.

HWInfo (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) is a free program that can give you the panel name / type, simply run the program and look under the Monitor --> Monitor Name dropdown.  Then either use the site search on Notebookcheck for that panel name, or Google in general using it and ".icc," which is the file extension for a color profile.  If you cannot find the panel on Notebookcheck, try searching for your laptop model, then look under the review's Display section.  They link directly to the generated .icc file there.

Once you've found / downloaded the color profile, you can add it to Windows following the instructions here:  https://pcmonitors.info/articles/using-icc-profiles-in-windows/

Cillian01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,782
Message 3 of 9

Thanks, Khakiass! My monitor is B173HAN01.0. The .icm from Notebookcheck helped.

Khakiass
Token Ring
Views: 1,772
Message 4 of 9

Glad it made an improvement for you!  Just keep in mind that any changes you've applied via the Intel control panel's Color Settings still affect that applied .icc profile, so you will likely want to reset that back to its defaults.

practical
802.11n
Views: 1,676
Message 5 of 9

Would anyone happen to know where to find the profile for P70 with 4K screen?

HW Info reports: VVX17P051J00 and LEN4123.  The first number seems to indicate a Panasonic screen but I have not been able to locate any further information or color profiles.

Would appreciate any help with this.  My display looks OK (as long I don't use the built-in calibrator) but I'm certain it could look better.

Views: 1,659
Message 6 of 9

@practical wrote:

Would anyone happen to know where to find the profile for P70 with 4K screen?

If you haven't already done it I suggest you try downloading and running the Thinkpad Monitor INF installer for P50/P70.  It doesn't show up on the Win10 set of downloads, but if you look for Win7 it will be there and says it's applicable to all Windows versions.

Running the EXE will expand it into C:\Drivers\Win\Monitor, where all of the INF files wll be available. Then you install what's appropriate with standard Windows "update drivers" for the LCD display, following the manual install instructions in the README.

Installing files
 12. Right-click/press and hold on the desktop then select "Display settings".
 13. Click "Advanced display settings" at bootom.
 14. Click "Display adapter properties" at bottom.
 15. Select "Monitor" tab.
 16. Click "Properties" button.
 17. Select "Driver" tab then click "Update Driver" button.
 18. Select "Browse my computer for driver software".
 19. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
 20. Click "Have Disk" button.
 21. Specify path to this monitor INF then click "Open" button.
       Example: C:\DRIVERS\WIN\MONITOR
 22. Click "OK" button.
 23. Confirm correct display type then click "Next" button.
 24. Windows has finished installing. Click "Close" button.
 25. Click "Close" button for Display Propertries.
 26. Click "OK" button for "Monitor" tab.
 27. Close "Advanced Display Settings".

That should install the Lenovo-provided ICM for your screen.

I myself was disatisfied with the results of the built-in Pantone color sensor and "lite" software with my P70 (FHD non-touch screen). That prompted me to buy a retail X-Rite i1-DisplayPro unit with full retail software, which allowed me to use it not only on my P70 but also on my W530, and all the other external monitors used on my desktop machines.  Results were wonderful all around.  Well worth the price in the long run, as I now have something that can be used to perform calibrations on any computer/display, e.g. for friends and family.

practical
802.11n
Views: 1,655
Message 7 of 9

Thanks DS.  My system reports that ver. 6.2.0.0 is installed -- although the download link points to 6.01,  

Would you suppose that I am currently running a later version that what can be downloaded?

P70 Monitor Driver.PNG

Token Ring
Views: 1,649
Message 8 of 9

Practical, your panel was actually used in the review system by Notebookcheck.net.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P70-Workstation-Review.158308.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/uploads/tx_nbc2/P70.icm
 is the link to the file itself.

practical
802.11n
Views: 1,632
Message 9 of 9

Thank you, K.  Much appreciated.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors