Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dougschmidt
Punch Card
Views: 133
Message 1 of 1

P70: Dual Boot (Windows/CentOS) and RAID setup

Hi,

Currently, I have Windows 10 Pro installed on main Toshiba HDD. I want to dual boot with CentOS.

I have 2 x Samsung 960 Pro NVMe SSD's. I enabled RAID1 in the BIOS for NVMe's. When I booted via

USB CentOS boot media, the installer did not recognize any of my drives, except for external USB drives.

When I disable BIOS RAID on P70, CentOS installer saw all drives Toshiba HDD, each of the NVMe's, external

USB storage drive, and Samsung T5 external storage SSD (with USB Type-C to Type-C cable).

- Is enabling/disabling RAID, changing from RAID to AHCI?

- Is not seeing the drives due to CentOS not having a driver to recognize Intel RST? Doe's CentOS have a driver? Is it something else?

- Is there a way around this?

- Disable BIOS RAID, install CentOS to NVMe0 then use MDADM to RAID1 NVMe drives?

From what I have read so far, BIOS RAID is software RAID, just in the BIOS.

Also, I was thinking possibly instead, installing CentOS to the Samsung T5 drive, however:

- T5 is not recognized as a boot drive when using Lenovo F12 boot menu (If T5 is using USB Type-C to Type-C cable)

- T5 is recognized as a boot drive in F12 boot menu (If T5 is using USB Type-C to Type-A cable)

- If install works on T5 drive, then maybe I can enable P70 RAID1 and use NVMe's for storage space.

or keep RAID disabled and use NVMe's as seperate drives.

When done, I'm looking to have dual boot Windows and CentOS, and use Virtualbox for

other VM's. I have not installed CentOS on any of the drives yet. Just looking at options for now,

still reading some more. Figured I'd post this for some feedback in the mean time.

Any help appriciated.

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors