Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonnyKetchup
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,199
Message 1 of 4

P70 - Dynamic brightness/contrast

Hi, everybody,
I'm very happy with my P70 in general, but there are a few things that really drive me mad, the most annoying one being the dynamic contrast or brightness control that I just cannot get to stop interfering with my work. The problem is that the brightness and contrast become WAY WORSE whenever the screen is predominantly dark -- which is all the time, because I'm using a software IDE with a dark color scheme. And it's really not my imagination, because you can literally see colors blooming and brightness getting up when I change to something more bright, say my browser window with the Lenovo forum page.

I had had this issue a few weeks ago, but it vanished after updating all Lenovo software and the BIOS last week. However, now I enabled the "Schwellenwert für Akkuladung" (~ threshold value for battery charging) and now all of a sudden the problem is back again and remains even when I disable the threshold value setting again...

I have tried different power settings (in Windows) and deactivated basically any option that even remotely resembles the terms "dynamic", "smart" or "adaptive". Since I'm running with the discrete Nvidia graphics card (Intel card deactivated in BIOS) and suspected it might have something to do with a "smart" Intel technology, I even reactivated the Intel card, updated the driver and some Intel software, deactivated everything I could find, restarted a few times, then deactivated the card and the BIOS again, uninstalled Intel software -- but the problem remains.

Does anybody have an idea how to fix this? Because I'm one of those programmers who like to work in a sunny place and not in the basement all day and I can't see anything without getting immediate eyestrain as soon as I'm opening my IDE, because everything goes dark. And this does not have to be the case, because it works until the day before yesterday.

Any help MUCH appreciated :-) thanks in advance,
Jonny

Moderator comment: Model added to subject for clarity.

P70: Xeon 1505 CPU, 64 GB ECC RAM, PCIe NVMe 512 GB Drive, 2 TB SSD, BD drive , 4K Display, NVIDIA Quadro M5000M
Former Employee
Views: 2,083
Message 2 of 4

Re: P70 - Dynamic brightness/contrast

Jonny,

Per Think Engineering, the problem you described with brightness and contrast colors on a dark setting on a P70 ThinkPad system may be due to the Intel Graphics Power Management.

They suggest changing the “Display Power Saving” setting found on the power menu for Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.

P70 Intel Graphics Pic.png

Please let us know if this improves your experience.

Thank you,

JonnyKetchup
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,066
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your reply!

The Intel HD graphics control panel is usually not available for me, since I have the Intel graphics card disabled in BIOS. (I can click on the Intel HD icon, but the control panel won't come up.)
So I enabled the hybrid graphics mode in BIOS, restarted and fired up the control panel, but I can't find the option visible in the screenshot you provide. Please find a screenshot showing my menu attached to this post. Obviously, my menu is in German, but it basically says what it says in your screenshot, only that the relevant portion of the menu is missing.

And just to make that explicit: my normal mode of operation is with the Intel graphics chip DISABLED. I only enabled it to have a look at the menu. It is disabled again at the moment.

But right now, the issue itself is gone. No strange adjustment at the moment... Since Windows is asking me to reboot, I'll do that and see whether the problem is still gone after that ;-) give me a few minutes...

P70: Xeon 1505 CPU, 64 GB ECC RAM, PCIe NVMe 512 GB Drive, 2 TB SSD, BD drive , 4K Display, NVIDIA Quadro M5000M
JonnyKetchup
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,060
Message 4 of 4

Yeah, the problem is gone... Yay...

I didn't really change anything, so I don't know what actually fixed it. I started off with the Intel graphics chips disabled. What I then did was: enable hybrid graphics mode in BIOS, restart, open Intel HD graphics Control Panel, do nothing, enter BIOS again and go back to discrete graphics mode, restart again (Windows asked me to).

Just in case someone else stumbles upon this problem ;-) thanks for the help!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors