Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2624 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11218 Signins

60636 Page Views

• Views: 60636
  • Message 1 of 1

P70 FHD laptop screen color calibration ICM

2016-01-28, 23:12 PM

Having been disappointed in the results of using the built-in color sensor in my P70 (with FHD screen) along with the provided "lean" Pantone calibration software, I decided to invest in an external X-Rite i1Display Pro colorimeter which comes with full retail iProfiling software. This would allow me to measure not only the laptop screen but also my other monitors. So it seemed a reasonable investment.

So a few weeks ago I did my first calibration (not knowing too much about how this should really be done, in terms of touching any of the available adjustable calibration target parameters).  I made two measurements: one for the P70 laptop screen, and a second for my external Eizo S2433W monitor.  I thought the results were very good, and for the P70 screen itself I felt the results were certainly superior to that achieved using the built-in sensor and "lite" software.

A few weeks have now gone by, so I decided I was probably due for a new set of calibrations.  This time I decided to try setting the "luminance" (i.e. brightness) target values for the calibration to be different than I'd done originally.  Instead of just leaving the 250 target values which were the default presented by the software, this time I decided to try setting those target values to corresond to what the colorimeter measured when I set the screen brightness to be what I wanted to run with in everyday use.  For my Eizo monitor with brightness at 100% that corresponded to a measured luminance of 215.  So that's what I set as the target.  For the P70 laptop, I decided I wanted a brightness of 13 (using the F5/F6 keys) which corresponded to a measured brightness of 225, so that's what I set as the target.

As I'd done previously, the color target was set to D65 and gamma target was set to 2.23 (rather than the default 2.20).

Furthermore, to eliminate all possible confusion (for me, anyway) relating to using one screen or the other and which was the onc whose ICM results would be associated with that monitor, this time I ran with both screens active in "extended desktop" mode, 1 and 2.  The X-Rite software is aware of this and you select WHICH display you wish to calibrate, and thus which display is then associated with the produced ICM file.  I don't think I did anything wrong last time, but I definitely know ran with only one display "active" at a time (i.e. I didn't run "extended desktop", nor did I run in "clone mode" with both powered on). This time I wanted things to be explicitly clear which monitor I was calibrating.

And I then performed both new calibrations.

I will say that I think that no question the results are better than the first time I tried this.  Very satisfying true color, using an assortment of test images, videos, and HDTV programs (e.g. "The Golden Globes" which always has gorgeously natural properly lit background, skin, hair and clothing color, worthy of a D65 test).

So, even though I realize that theoretically a color calibration is clearly unique to a given display, I'd still like to share my external P70 FHD (not 4K) laptop screen calibration ICM file with anyone who'd care to use it (or at least try it).  If you've got your own built-in sensor you can certainly compare the before/after results (i.e. my ICM vs. your results from self-calibrating with the Lenovo-provided sensor and software) for yourself and decide which you prefer.

So if you would like to try it, you can download it from here.  And if you do use it, please post your opinion and comments.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms