Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
badhabit_wb
Token Ring
Views: 1,845
Message 1 of 5

P70 HDMI Thunderbolt Firmware won't update

For some reason the firmware for thunderbolt won't update on my p70. I've tried installing from a command prompt and using the installer. Either way it seems to work but the firmware version doesn't change. I have the hdmi cable connected to a monitor and have the thunderbolt software running. I've rebooted and tried again. I've booted into safe mode then rebooted and tried again. I've uninstalled the thunderbolt controller and tried again all to no avail. Ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

Former Employee
Views: 1,805
Message 2 of 5

Re: P70 HDMI Thunderbolt Firmware won't update

Badhabit_wb,

I'm sorry to hear the Thunderbolt firmware installation was unsuccessful.

Lenovo is in the process of publishing a Service TIP that includes step-by-step instructions on how to check the Thunderbolt firmware version as well as a comprehensive guide to installing it.

I will post the link here once it goes live in the next day or two.

Thank you,

badhabit_wb
Token Ring
Views: 1,800
Message 3 of 5

Thanks Amy. I used the step by step that was in the p50 forum but no luck. It's like the firmware update is being blocked. The process runs, and when I start it from a command prompt, shows that it has successfully completed. The software however does stop and roll back. Not sure if that's what's causing the problem or not. The software is showing the correct version number however. Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
badhabit_wb
Token Ring
Views: 1,783
Message 4 of 5

Amy I uninstalled the Thunderbolt software to see if that made a difference and that stops and rolls back without installing. Not sure what's stopping it. I've got it set to 1gb in bios for thunderbolt.

badhabit_wb
Token Ring
Views: 1,677
Message 5 of 5

Amy I got the software to update and the was able to update the firmware. Below is what finally fixed it.

It would not update the software with an hdmi cable plugged into the p70. When I plugged the cable into the Lenovo port replicator the screen would go black. While the screen was black I logged on with logmein. It let me install the software but It would not let me update the firmware and the screen was still black. I rebooted the machine and the screen was still black so I shut it down, took it off the port replicator, connected the hdmi cable directly into the p70, connected the power supply to the p70 and booted the machine. The screen was visible so I started the Thunderbird software and tried the firmware update again. It worked!  Hopefully this will help if someone else has the same issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors