Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hola_adios
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,001
Message 1 of 17

P70 HDMI no signal

So I am starting to regret buying this system. 

Latest problem: no signal from the HDMI port, the cable used and the monitor work perfectly well with other system. 

Anyone know how I can diagnose potential problems or is suffering from the same?

Thanks in advance.

starzen
Punch Card
Views: 5,987
Message 2 of 17

Re: P70 HDMI no signal

does the machine see your monitor?

if it does whats your resolution set to?

hola_adios
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,938
Message 3 of 17

Hi Starzen, it stopped seeing any monitors when I try to detect them. I tried changing resolutions and no joy Smiley Sad

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,899
Message 4 of 17

I am running my P70 with the BIOS Config -> Display set to "discrete graphics".  This is important, I believe.

I've also applied the latest retail nVidia Quadro driver (354.56) for my M3000M but that shouldn't make any difference.

Although I don't normally work with three monitors, I did try this to see if I had any problem.  I'm currently in Win7, but I will also try this with Win10 shortly.

I have an Eizo HD2441W on my left, connected via HDMI to the HDMI port on my P70.  I have an Eizo S2433W in front of me, connected via DP to the miniDP port on my P70.  And I have enabled the laptop screen.  All three are currently active and operating properly, with "extended desktop" across all three.  HD2441W connected via HDMI runs at 1920x1080, S2433W connected via DP runs at 1920x1200, and laptop screen runs at 1920x1080.

P70 with three monitors

No problems at all.  I will now boot to Win10 to confirm that it's also problem free or not.

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,889
Message 5 of 17

Seems to work just as well in Win10.

Win10-three-monitors

Again, "discrete graphics" in the BIOS.

hola_adios
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,882
Message 6 of 17

OK, for some reason that setting in the BIOS changed, reverted it back and it is all working now. Thanks!

Egert
Paper Tape
Views: 5,831
Message 7 of 17

Hi,

I have the same issue with my P50. I am running windows 10 and nVidia driver is 354.56. There is a newer driver out, but I cannot use this because it will start conflicting with Solidworks 2016. The problem with my laptop is that when I change the graphics card setting from "hybrid" to "discreet" it will only work until I turn off the computer or it goes to sleep. I have turned off the sleep option, but every morning the HDMI is dead again. So I need to go to BIOS, change from "discreet" back to "hybrid", save&exit, enter BIOS again, change "hybrid" to "discreet" again and then I can live another day.

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,811
Message 8 of 17

@Egert wrote:

Hi,

I have the same issue with my P50. I am running windows 10 and nVidia driver is 354.56. There is a newer driver out, but I cannot use this because it will start conflicting with Solidworks 2016. The problem with my laptop is that when I change the graphics card setting from "hybrid" to "discreet" it will only work until I turn off the computer or it goes to sleep. I have turned off the sleep option, but every morning the HDMI is dead again. So I need to go to BIOS, change from "discreet" back to "hybrid", save&exit, enter BIOS again, change "hybrid" to "discreet" again and then I can live another day.

Sound like this is a genuine BIOS problem that Lenovo needs to try and duplicate in their lab.  It's now been reported on both P50 and P70.  Seems tied to having an HDMI monitor connected using the HDMI connector, and then shutting the machine down either SHUTDOWN or SLEEP.

In order to support HDMI, it seems "discrete graphics" is required. But it also appears this BIOS "discrete graphics" setting is lost across SHUTDOWN/SLEEP and instead the BIOS reverts back to "hybrid" when the machine next comes back up... thus losing HDMI connectivity.

I didn't think to try this myself during my earlier experimentation just to confirm that there wasn't an issue on my P70 talking to HDMI... as long as "discrete graphics" was in effect.  It's not until your post that it now appears to be a different problem really, namely a BIOS issue of retaining the "discrete graphics" setting vs. "hybrid" across SHUTDOWN/SLEEP when there is an HDMI connection active.

I can report that in my own normal setup with a DP external monitor (and no HDMI), shutting down and starting up has no effect on my setting of "discrete graphics".  Retained perfectly.  It would appear this symptom of yours (i.e. reverting to "hybrid" when power up after SHUTDOWN/SLEEP) is strictly because there is an HDMI connection active.

I could try this experiment myself, just to add the results of one more P70 data point.

hola_adios
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,807
Message 9 of 17

This is strange, more things happening. I didn't pay any attention to it, but windows keeps forgetting screensaver settings after a restart. This doesn't happen on another Windows 10 machines.

I tested with a RGB monitor and for me the same happened, had to change the value in BIOS.

flyinhigh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,797
Message 10 of 17

couldnt reproduce the problem

i normally dont use HDMI but i attached a 27" Dell screen via HDMI for a test

put the P70 to sleep. Wake up - fine

shut down. Boot - fine

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors