cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
survivant
Punch Card
Views: 1,147
Message 1 of 18

P70 I it possible to hotswap dvd with a SSD caddy ?

Hello, I received my P70, and I was surprise to see that the dvd isn't hotswapable like it was with my T510.  I can unscrew a screw, and change my dvd my a ssd caddy but there is one available ?

When I bought the laptop, I asked for one.  They accepted my request and send one for me, but I received a Dummy caddy, it's even marked on it, DUMMY Smiley Sad   (it's used probably to put a blank when we remove the DVD).

I think that the right part is 00NY314, but I'm not sure.  Still 50$ US for that, is't a lot, it will be around 75$ CAN.  I need to be sure before I order that part.

Can someone confirm that ?  With a picture will be nice, not that I don't trust Lenovo, but I received a dummy part, so... Smiley Happy

practical
802.11n
Views: 1,128
Message 2 of 18

Re: P70 I it possible to hotswap dvd with a SSD caddy ?

While I can't speak directly to your question, It is clear that hot-swappability of this 4th drive is not a design feature of the P70.  It is a shame that the nod to manufacturing simplification (read: cost & maintenance requirements reduction) had eliminated a very useful feature.

With my W700, I can and do swap-out the optical drive for an HDD often to make speedy backups or access archived data.  It is very convenient and helpful.

Alas, some would argue that USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt attachment provides adequate support for these things -- I'd still prefer a unit with the easy swap option--a workstation is supposed to be all about power and flexibility.   By way of example, Samsung realized its design error in eliminating some features and re-introduced user-removable storage to its latest line of phones. 

Punch Card
Views: 1,110
Message 3 of 18

that really answer my question, but I know how you fill.  I didn't know that it wasn't swapable before I received it.  Yes it's useful.  I have a sata to USB 3 cable for now, but I look stupid when I have to bring a extra cable + hhd with my laptop.

dgently
Punch Card
Views: 1,105
Message 4 of 18

I have one question. Siunce you have the dummy caddy, its my understanding that this caddy allows you to install a third M.2 drive, does it look like this would be possible?

practical
802.11n
Views: 1,098
Message 5 of 18

Wow -- that would be brilliant (a caddy for one or two M.2 SSDs to fit into the DVD slot). 

Addonics and other third-parties make these adapters to fit into 2.5" SSD slots in laptops:

http://www.addonics.com/category/ngff.php  (Scroll far down the page)

Conceivably, the P70 could become a 5 or 6 spindle device!  (2 x NVMe + 2.5" adapter with 2 x M.2 SSD for main bay + another 2.5" adapter for optical drive bay with 2 x M.2 SSD).  That would be quite interesting. 

If Lenovo does not offer a proper unit to accomplish this, perhaps someone might be willing to explore obtaining the HDD caddy (bezel + adapter, which seems really hard to purchase) AND one of these M.2 adapter, to see if it works?  Or even a base Addonics adapter for the main bay with 2 x M.2 slots?  If I had the time and spare change, I'd probably try it myself.

Broadband 3G
Views: 1,080
Message 6 of 18

@practical wrote:

Conceivably, the P70 could become a 5 or 6 spindle device!  (2 x NVMe + 2.5" adapter with 2 x M.2 SSD for main bay + another 2.5" adapter for optical drive bay with 2 x M.2 SSD).  That would be quite interesting. 

M2 hardly qualifies as a spindle device Smiley Happy . Also, SSD manufactures charge a premium for M2 form-factor, and larger SSDs are faster than smaller ones, so stuffing 2xM.2 into one SATA adapter will be almost always slower, less reliable and more expensive than just buying a larger SATA SSD.

As to hot-swapping, should be possible if the screw securing the bay to the chassis is removed, and something something like a piece of duct tape is attached to the DVD/HDD tray for easier extracting.

practical
802.11n
Views: 1,064
Message 7 of 18

Technically, you are correct, P600.   "Spindle" is a logical concept these days anyhow, as mechanical drives are rapidly going the way of the CRT.  M.2 drives are on a downward price trajectory; they are not as yet competitive with SATA SSDs but may become so soon.

Duct tape?  On a $4,000+ PC?  (cringe) Surely a better solution could be crafted.  However, the edge connectors are likely not spec'ed for a high number of insertions and since not designed expressly for this purpose, are probably a bit more fragile and less-well supported mechanically than one would ideally prefer.  Might precipitate some issues with warranty support of machine if the mainboard cracks as a result.

Broadband 3G
Views: 1,054
Message 8 of 18

M.2 form-factor SSD use the same flash chips & controllers as their larger bretheren, just are more limited in space & heat production. So there will be no benefits of using 2*M.2 + adapter (and a complex adapter, as need to deal with SATA) compared to a normal SSD.

As to duct-tape & contacts, I seriously doubt P70 SATA connector is any different that the one used in W520/W530 for example, which had a 'hot-swap' button at the bottom.

I'd be more concerned about possibility of data loss, when OS fails to flush buffers, or better yet fails to detect the hotswap and writes buffers/directories belonging to one drive onto another. This happens more frequently, and I experienced it myself (with loss of data on the 2nd drive).

practical
802.11n
Views: 1,047
Message 9 of 18

Good point about the data corruption issue.  The habit of explicitly ejecting removable media is so firmly ingrained that I don't even think about it anymore.

How would the OS even identify the HDD in the optical slot as removable and consequently offer the eject option through Explorer?  I suppose Write Caching could be disabled in Device Manager, but that wouln't be a sure bet.

Punch Card
Views: 1,010
Message 10 of 18

Back to the original question.  What caddy should we buy?

I found this store on ebay that seem to have lot of caday, but I didn't see one for the P70.

http://www.ebay.ca/usr/parts-wholeseller?euid=a30568a2ba234fd3a89e6b14449b1055&cp=1

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors