cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Centauri
SCSI Port
Views: 5,460
Message 1 of 16

P70: Pantone Color Calibration Awful - How to Undo/Change Back?

I should have left well enough alone.

I installed and ran the Pantone Color Calibrator and it made my 4K display awful. What used to be white is now a digusting yellowish green hideous tint. How can I change the display back to what it was? Strange that the program lets you change between "Before" and "After" once it has made the changes but does not offer an option for you to keep the "Before" settings.

For anyone else out there, use the Pantone Color Calibrator at your own risk as it made my display look horrible. Just hope there is a way to restore what the display used to look like. What used to be a beautiful 4K display is now a dull mess.

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,429
Message 2 of 16

Re: P70: Pantone Color Calibration Awful - How to Undo/Change Back?

The process of calibration produced an ICM stored in C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\Color, with a name that you selected at the end of the calibration process.

This ICM file is associated with your display, via right-click on desktop, select Screen resolution -> advanced settings -> color management tab -> push the color management button -> your laptop display will be shown (don't know what the actual name is of your 4K display screen device, but you can see it shown (or if you have an external monitor as well, just click the dropdown device list and select your laptop screen).

The "use my settings for this device" box will be checked, and there will be several file names shown below in the "profiles associated with this device" pane.  Your ICM's logical name and physical file name (which could be the same) will be shown as "... (default)".  The original Lenovo-provided ICM will perhaps be shown as the "beforeprofile.icm" in the filename column, but you should see that one listed as well.

Select the "(default)" ICM that you created, and then push the REMOVE button.

Then select the original Lenovo-provided ICM, and push the "set as default profile" button.

You should be back in business.  You can also delete the ICM file you created in C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\Color, just to be sure you're clean.

And then buy yourself an x rite i1Display Pro external color calibrator, and get it done right.  It's the same process, but the calibration hardware is superior.  You will also be able to use this external calibrator for any other monitors you also have, which is a real plus.

Select that

Centauri
SCSI Port
Views: 5,417
Message 3 of 16

Wow thanks so much! I'll take a look at this in a moment.

Can't believe they shipped this laptop with the built in color calibrator given how poorly it calibrates.

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,408
Message 4 of 16

I also bought my P70 (with FHD non-touch screen) with the built-in color calibrator, thinking it would be a nice thing to have and was included because I went with the M3000M graphics.  I, too, was extremely disappointed with the color results on my 1920x1080 FHD screen.

So I bought my own external i1Display Pro, which not only comes with a superior colorimeter but also includes superior retail-quality software.  Much superior to the "lite" software which came from Lenovo to go with the Pantone colorimeter.  And as I mentioned earlier, I've now used it on all of my own other monitors, as well as for friends and family.  Definitly got my money's worth of this standalone calibration hardware/software product.  I think you will too.

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,386
Message 5 of 16

The built-in calibration is still sending notifications to redo the calibration.  How do you turn these off.

By the way, many P70 reviews say the xRite built-in calbration is not very good.

For the record, I have been using xRite for years.  I just got a ColorMunki, as the old software (i1 Display 2)  doesn't run on Windows 10.  The ColorMunki is the same hardware as the i1 Display Pro, but a little cheaper.  The software isn't that great.  Neither was that for the i1 Display 2.  I don't know about the i1 Display Pro.  I discovered DisplayCAL, which is free.  It does a much better job, but takes longer (beacuse it does more patches).  The results are visibly better.  The dE 2000 values are less than 1.  It will plot the gamut.  The calibration cureves meet at 0 and 255, which the xRite ones do not.  It has many options, but the basic use is pretty straightforward.

It will use any of three xRite devices mentioned, as well as many others.  I think it is worth looking into.

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,364
Message 6 of 16

How about just going to Control Panel and UNINSTALLing the Pantone Color Calibrator software.  If you're not going to be using it you might as well get rid of it.  Any external calibration hardware/software will provide its own software which you'll be using instead.

I don't get anything from Pantone on my own P70, although it's still installed.  But then I do have the retail xRite software also installed, so maybe that situation (plus the fact that I did use xRite to do my calibrarion) is what's satisfying Pantone, assuming it's even still active.

Actually, I just checked (I'm running Win7) with MSCONFIG.  Turns out I un-checked the Pantone Color Calibrator tray icon at startup, so it's actually not running.  If you're running Win10 you can accomplish the same thing, just the way Win10 does it rather than with MSCONFIG.   Probably that's why I'm not hearing from it.  But uninstalling it completely would have the same effect as not starting it at Windows startup.

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,325
Message 7 of 16

Thanks for the reply.

My P70 is new and I am still in the process of setting it up.  I haven't got to color calibration, yet.  Currently I am getting notifications from xRite whenever I log in.  As far as I can tell, there in no display profile assigned.  It must be using what the hardware gives.

I would still like to experiment before deciding on a solution.  I will probably do one calibration with xRite first.  Based on experiments with my old computer, I will probably go with DisplayCAL.  It takes longer, but seems to give a better result.

The problem is doing a comparison.  DisplayCAL has the ability to get info on the current profile, including dE 2000 values, gamut, and other things.  It does this by measuring 54 patches.  I am unable to compare when the xRite profile is current with what DisplayCal does, because DisplayCal doesn't handle ICC Version 4, and the xRite ColorMunki software (on my old computer) makes Version 4.2 profiles (so I don't get any info for the xRite profile).

The DisplayCAL profiles look better, have curves that start at (0,0) and end at (255,255), and have dE < 1 (good).  I can't get dE (or most of the other information DisplayCAL produces) from the xRite software.  Thus I don't have a quantative comparison, yet. 

Until I am committed, I will keep the xRite software.  Afterward, I will uninstall it or remove it from startup, as you suggest.  Thanks again.

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,317
Message 8 of 16

You can actually kind of do a visual comparison of several different ICC/ICM profiles, through that same Color Management GUI I mentioned earlier (as your way of eliminating the bad calibration you'd gotten).

With the "use my settings" box checked, you can simply check whichever profile item you want that is shown in the list in the pane below.  You don't have to actually push the "make this the default" button to set it to be what you now really want to make active. You can just select each of the two, alternately, and they will become temporarily active.  When you push CANCEL you'll just revert to whatever is your current default and the GUI dialog will go away.

But as you alternately flip-flop between any number of listed ICC/ICM profiles, your whole screen will receive that color profile so it will actually change in appearance as you click on each file.  So if you have the window reasonably small, there is lots of remaining screen real estate where you can say have a "reference image" (color bars? some picture you are totally familiar with so you know what you'd like to see in its colors?  etc.) being displayed.  This way you can use something other than the numbers from a calibration report to actually see what that produces on your screen, and you can decide for yourself whether or not you're satisfied with what you have created.

Once you're satisfied, you can push "set as default" or CANCEL, or repeat the calibration process and use the GUI review method I'm describing (perhaps changing some calibration parameters), etc.

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,315
Message 9 of 16

@KennethEvans wrote:

My P70 is new and I am still in the process of setting it up.  I haven't got to color calibration, yet.  Currently I am getting notifications from xRite whenever I log in.  As far as I can tell, there in no display profile assigned.  It must be using what the hardware gives.

Well, I'm confused. Didn't you say in your very original first post that you HAD done a calibration using the built-in color sensor and Lenovo-provided software, and that you were terribly dissatisfied with the results?

So I don't follow what you are now saying here.  Or are you saying that you DID try it, the color was awful, you followed my recipe to back it out and delete it, and that what's left is whatever the default is (either from Windows, or hardware default, or Lenovo-provided ICM) but that you're still getting pestered by the installed "lite" xRite software since you don't have a color profile in effect that was produced by the software?

Even if you WERE satisfied, I'd disable the software so that it didn't remind you every week (or however often) to re-do the calibration, unless you really wanted that reminder.

Surely Lenovo delivered a built-in ICM for the screen, which should have been shown when you got into the GUI and had "use my setting" box checked.  If not, you should certainly download/install the "Monitor INF" driver which installs the Lenovo-provided ICC/ICM profile for your 4K laptop screen and sets it to be the "default".

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,312
Message 10 of 16

@DSperber wrote:

You can actually kind of do a visual comparison of several different ICC/ICM profiles, through that same Color Management GUI I mentioned earlier (as your way of eliminating the bad calibration you'd gotten).

Thanks, that's good to know. Currently there are no profiles listed for me.

I tried it on Windows 7, and clicking a profile does NOT seem to set it on the display there.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors