cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 462
Message 11 of 16

Re: P70: Pantone Color Calibration Awful - How to Undo/Change Back?

@DSperber wrote:

Well, I'm confused. Didn't you say in your very original first post that you HAD done a calibration using the built-in color sensor and Lenovo-provided software, and that you were terribly dissatisfied with the results?

Where I checked was on my old computer (getting ready for this one).

I have currently done nothing on this one, and there are no profiles listed (see DSpurber post just above).

However, the display looks good.

SeniorGuru
Views: 455
Message 12 of 16

@KennethEvans wrote:
Thanks, that good to know. Currently there are no profiles listed for me.

But again, is that because you have removed the flawed profile you originally produced, per my recipe?

And there was no default ICM from Lenovo shown?

Honestly, you should install the Lenovo-provided "Monitor INF" I pointed to above, as that is absolutely what you should be running with as your default. Then, if you want to try your own self-produced calibration using DisplayCAL or xRite retail (which I believe you're entitled to download if you don't already have it, since you bought a colorimiter from them), and compare them all.

They will no doubt all be just slightly different, and you pick the one you prefer... based on the realworld "reference image" test that you like the best.

SeniorGuru
Views: 453
Message 13 of 16

@KennethEvans wrote:

@DSperber wrote:

Well, I'm confused. Didn't you say in your very original first post that you HAD done a calibration using the built-in color sensor and Lenovo-provided software, and that you were terribly dissatisfied with the results?

Where I checked was on my old computer (getting ready for this one).

I have currently done nothing on this one, and there are no profiles listed (see DSpurber post just above).

However, the display looks good.

Ok... I hadn't seen this post of yours, clarifying.

But again, the Lenovo-provided "Monitor INF" is what SHOULD be installed on your new P70.  There really SHOULD be an ICC/ICM profile active as your "default", and this is that profile.  Anything additional you care to experiment with, that's fine, and you'll perhaps get better results than the Lenovo-provided profile.

I do think you'll probably see at least some improvement by installing the Lenovo ICM profile and activating it, over what the hardware is presenting as it's hardware default.  At least that's the theory, and is why we also perform individual panel-specific colorimiter/software color calibrations for each specific display device we own, and then apply the resulting panel-specific ICC/ICM profile to that unique piece of hardware, in our eternal quest for "the best display possible".

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 435
Message 14 of 16

@DSperber wrote:

But again, the Lenovo-provided "Monitor INF" is what SHOULD be installed on your new P70.  There really SHOULD be an ICC/ICM profile active as your "default", and this is that profile.  Anything additional you care to experiment with, that's fine, and you'll perhaps get better results than the Lenovo-provided profile.

I do think you'll probably see at least some improvement by installing the Lenovo ICM profile and activating it, over what the hardware is presenting as it's hardware default.  At least that's the theory, and is why we also perform individual panel-specific colorimiter/software color calibrations for each specific display device we own, and then apply the resulting panel-specific ICC/ICM profile to that unique piece of hardware, in our eternal quest for "the best display possible".

There is nothing there on the Devices tab.  There are lots of Display profiles in the All Profiles tab. Many (7) have the name "Lenovo ThinkPad xxx".

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 394
Message 15 of 16

@DSperber wrote:

You can actually kind of do a visual comparison of several different ICC/ICM profiles, through that same Color Management GUI I mentioned earlier (as your way of eliminating the bad calibration you'd gotten).

With the "use my settings" box checked, you can simply check whichever profile item you want that is shown in the list in the pane below.  You don't have to actually push the "make this the default" button to set it to be what you now really want to make active. You can just select each of the two, alternately, and they will become temporarily active.  When you push CANCEL you'll just revert to whatever is your current default and the GUI dialog will go away.

That doesn't seem to happen for me.  Selecting any of the profiles does nothing.  I can only set them by doing Set as Default Profile.  I am on Windows 10.  I had tried it on Windows 7, and couldn't do it there either.  I don't see Cancel, so maybe I am in a different place.  The window title is Colour Management.

I am finally back to experimenting with color calibration on my new P70.  (It had some significant problems, which are now more or less resolved.)  I now see that the reason I had no profiles listed (as mentioned in another reply) is probably that I didn't have "Use my settings for this device" checked.  (You didn't mention that was necessary.)

I have done a calibration with the built-in sensor, and found it very yellow, as mentioned originally.  I have another application that sets profiles that I was using to check it.  After experimenting and coming back to Color Management and checking "Use my settings for this device", I have all the ones I set with that tool plus the one I made.

I also notice that if I have the yellow profile set as default and then uncheck "Use my settings for this device" that the display goes back to a non-yellow profile, presumably the "default default"

My problem is that I now don't know what was (or is) the default.  There are a number of profiles with names like TPMB*.icm, TPLCD*.icm, and TPFLX*.icm.  (MB is MaxBright, LCD is LCD, and FLX is FlexView Display.)  I can't tell the difference between them by eyeballing them.  (They are all significantly different from the yellow Pantone one I created.)  Since I can't tell the difference, it probably doesn't matter, but I am curious.

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 381
Message 16 of 16

These are the calibration curves.

Pantone Calibration 2017-01-23.pngxRite PantoneDisplayCal Calibration 2017-01-23.pngDisplayCAL (Looks like the default)

The first one is the yellow one made with xRite Pantone.  The last one was made with DisplayCAL afterward.  The result to my eye looks like how the P70 came, though I don't know exactly which of the Lenovo profiles it was using.  (Those profiles don't have VGCT curves.  They apparently use Tone Response Curves (TRC), and the different ones for TPLCD*.icc have different TRCs.)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors