cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sepy
Punch Card
Views: 1,131
Message 1 of 11

P70 Power On Password and Windows 10 Login with Fingerprint Authentication on Dock no longer works!

Hello,

I have Power On password enabled on my P70 but not on restart. It was working fine. Once I would start the P70 on Dock from cold boot I would use once the Fingerprint authentication and it would power on the P70 and then log me to Windows 10 with no problem.

Few days ago there was a Windows 10 update. After the Windows 10 latest update once I used the Fingerprint authentication, it powered on the P70 but once it came to Hello screen of Windows 10 it momentary froze and rebooted again. Once it restarted at Windows 10 before Hello screen it asked me for Fingerprint authentication and it logged me in to my Windows 10 account.

I tried the cold boot several times and each time the same thing happened.

I checked to see what was the latest Windows 10 update did and saw one of the items was for “Security update for secure boot”.

I then checked the Event log viewer and saw every time before the P70 rebooted from cold boot it was doing a “bug check”.

Yesterday, I installed the BIOS version 2.05 and Synaptics Metallica Touch Fingerprint Driver version 5.1.311.26. Thinking that will resolve the problem. Unfortunately, it did not. I still cannot use the Fingerprint Authentication from cold boot when my PC is on the Dock.

After further experiments I realized that:

1- If the P70 is NOT on Dock everything works correctly. That is, I would start the P70 from cold boot, I would use once the Fingerprint authentication and it would power on the P70 and then log me to Windows 10 with no problem.

2- If the P70 is on the Dock it will work correctly from cold boot if when the Fingerprint authentication comes up for Power on password I push the Esc key instead and enter the power on password manually and then use the Fingerprint authentication to log me to Windows 10 there be no problem as well.

However, no matter what I tried I cannot use Fingerprint authentication when P70 is on Dock without Windows 10 freezing momentary at Hello screen and rebooting again (rebooting does not require power on password in my case). Each time this happens I get “Bugs Check” in Event viewer.

Anyone has any solution to this problem?

Regards,

Sepy

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,088
Message 2 of 11

Re: P70 Power On Password and Windows 10 Login with Fingerprint Authentication on Dock no longer wor

@Sepy wrote:

I checked to see what was the latest Windows 10 update did and saw one of the items was for “Security update for secure boot”.

Are you able to uninstall the suspicious windows update to see if the fingerprint function starts working again?

Did anything else change since the time it worked previously?  Such as BIOS version?

If bugcheck is happening, are you able to collect a dmp file from Windows?

Sepy
Punch Card
Views: 1,083
Message 3 of 11

Re: P70 Power On Password and Windows 10 Login with Fingerprint Authentication on Dock no longer wor

No I did not uninstall the Windows 10 update because it will try to install it again. Been there done that Windows 10 has its own mind.

Nothing else changed.

As I mentioned above it happened with BIOS version 2.04 and yesterday I upgraded to BIOS version 2.05 and still no joy.

There is a mini dump file but I can't understand it.

As I mentioned when P70 is not on docking station everything works fine.

Please have a look at my point 1 and 2 again when you get a chance.

Regards,

Sepy

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,078
Message 4 of 11

Can you zip up the minidump file, upload it to dropbox/onedrive and send me a link?

If Windows is crashing, we need to find the root cause of the crash.  the minidump might have the clue.

Sepy
Punch Card
Views: 1,049
Message 5 of 11

Thank you for your reply.

I know it is hard to believe but I do not have dropbox/one drive nor do I intent to get one.

My problem is very easy for Lenovo to replicate at their lab since my system so far is very vanilla. I only have MS office 2016 and adobe.

My experience here is Lenovo will not get interested on a problem unless the complaints of customers gets over many pages. We have a long way to go for this issue.

For now, I have disabled the password power on while my P70 is on dock. It works!

Have a pleasant Sunday.

Regards,

Sepy

Guru
Views: 1,046
Message 6 of 11

My P70 is up to date with the latest Windows 10 and Lenovo updates. I have my P70 in a workstation dock and I have the power on password set for predesktop authentication. I can use either the FPR on the P70 or the Lenovo USB PFR keyboard for both the power on as well as Windows hello.

Have you tried to fully erase the enrolled fingerprints and then re-enroll them for both the predesktop and Windows 10 Hello?

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.28, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.18,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T460s, BIOS 1.20, WQHD display, 20GB RAM, I7-6600U, Samsung PM961 1TB PCIe-NVMe SSD, EM7455 WWAN
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
Sepy
Punch Card
Views: 1,040
Message 7 of 11

Hello,

No I have not and frankly I do not know how to do that.

As I mentioned it works fine if it is not on dock so I think the problem is somewhere else.

Once on dock the power on password works and windows authentication works as well but then it goes through a reboot and on next windows login in Event viewer I see it had done a bug check.

It seems to be a conflict somewhere between Windows 10 and Lenovo BIOS fingerprint authentication in my case.

Guru
Views: 1,034
Message 8 of 11

Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in Options -> Windows Hello -> Fingerprint -> Remove

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.28, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.18,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T460s, BIOS 1.20, WQHD display, 20GB RAM, I7-6600U, Samsung PM961 1TB PCIe-NVMe SSD, EM7455 WWAN
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
Sepy
Punch Card
Views: 1,005
Message 9 of 11

Hello,

Thanks.

Do I have to reset anything in BIOS as well?

If yes, how please?

Regards,

Sepy

caveman1
SCSI Port
Views: 993
Message 10 of 11

Do what 

*theres instructions to do this on the lenovo site if you just google it you should find it if you need something more indepth

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors