Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Centauri
SCSI Port
Views: 1,000
Message 1 of 13

P70: Replace DVD Drive with SSD using ThinkPad Mobile Workstation Storage Kit

When I buy my P70 I want to replace the DVD drive with an SSD enclosure.

Is the following Lenovo product what I need to buy to replace the DVD drive of the P70 with a caddy that can house an SSD? Does the caddy below come with all the cables and padding neccesary to secure as SSD drive in lieu of the DVD drive?

Does it ship with a DVD bezel to cover the enclosure? Has annyone used this kit?

It's really a shame the configurator has no option to buy the P70 without an optical drive and with just an SSD caddy in its place. I have not used an optical disk in a laptop in years.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/4XB0L63274/460/7EF7D50A5A7047049A355BF42AAF3C5C

I did find a PDF describing this kit but there is no mention of a bezel or cover so I'm wonder if the existing bezel from the DVD drive needs to be yanked out and installed on this bracket.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/options_iso/tp_mobile_ws_storage_kit_4xb0l63274.pdf

Tritip
SCSI Port
Views: 965
Message 2 of 13

Re: P70: Replace DVD Drive with SSD using ThinkPad Mobile Workstation Storage Kit

No. That's for the HDD bay. Barely useful for P70 owners who only got m2 drives; it is barely needed other than making a snugger fit. For P50 owners it's necessary.

What you want is part 00NY314 but you won't find it on the Lenovo store. You have to call into the services and parts department to order it (I can't even find it by the online lookup in that division.) It looks like the DVD drive if you pulled it out but the top is open where you put the hard drive in and the outside edge is smooth to match the bezel.

Centauri
SCSI Port
Views: 955
Message 3 of 13

Re: P70: Replace DVD Drive with SSD using ThinkPad Mobile Workstation Storage Kit

@Tritip wrote:

No. That's for the HDD bay. Barely useful for P70 owners who only got m2 drives; it is barely needed other than making a snugger fit. For P50 owners it's necessary.

What you want is part 00NY314 but you won't find it on the Lenovo store. You have to call into the services and parts department to order it (I can't even find it by the online lookup in that division.) It looks like the the DVD drive if you pulled it out but the top is open where you put the hard drive in and the outside edge is smooth to match the bezel.

This is super useful to know. Thank you so much. I definitely don't want a useless optical drive so I will place my order with the Part # 00NY314 that you suggested. Is there a way to order that part online or what phone number do I call?

Glad to hear that the part has a smooth bezel on the side to match the removed DVD drive as that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Really too bad this is not an option on the configurator. I can't remember the last time I used an optical drive on a computer...

Tritip
SCSI Port
Views: 943
Message 4 of 13

Since the online parts isn't pulling up the number you have to call. This is the North America page for the numbers to call: Parts Order number I've used them before to order replacement keyboards, palm rests, and trackpoints. They are efficient but sometimes the shipping cost can be excessive. 

By now, usually someone will have knocked off the Ultrabay adapter for the Thinkpads and would be selling them online but it hasn't been done yet for this one since the laptops are still so new.

If you want to see what they look like, this is one for the 60 series with a drive sitting on top of it (not for the P series! This is not what you want.) 

Ultrabay Slim Adapter

Oa421AmlCQ
Punch Card
Views: 927
Message 5 of 13

I'm not sure but it sounds like its not for the optical drive. It sounds like its the rubber piece that surronds the 2.5" drives in the P70/P50 hard drive bay and the cables needed for the P50 drive bays. Did you try asking the sales chat?

Centauri
SCSI Port
Views: 878
Message 6 of 13

@Tritip wrote:

What you want is part 00NY314 but you won't find it on the Lenovo store. You have to call into the services and parts department to order it (I can't even find it by the online lookup in that division.) It looks like the DVD drive if you pulled it out but the top is open where you put the hard drive in and the outside edge is smooth to match the bezel.

I am curious if you have actually bought this part or someone else has bought this part seperately so you can install an SSD where the DVD drive used to be?

I suppose I can get this part when configuring on the Lenovo Web site but then it comes with a 500GB HDD that seems like a waste for $220 when all I need is the SDD caddy.

Tritip
SCSI Port
Views: 870
Message 7 of 13

You can't buy the part while configuring the system. There's a remote possiblity you could have it ordered with the system if you did a telephone order but I doubt it. Lenovo really isn't set up to do this for Thinkpads (unlike say Dell in the workstation market.)

You have to order a thinkpad with a hard drive of some sort. I don't know where you're getting the $220 figure from but the last place to put another drive should be the optical bay since you already have two m2 slots and one HDD bay to use first. Lenovo will not sell a system without any drive but you don't have to fill any more than one space.

Tritip
SCSI Port
Views: 868
Message 8 of 13

Re-reading your post, I think you're confused about what this part is or the specs on the P70. The 500GB drive offered in the ordering process goes into the HDD bay -- not the optical drive space. There are 4 places for drives on a P70. If you order without a spinning drive, the HDD bay is left empty and you can fill it with whatever you want later.

The part is question here is to replace the use of the optical drive space (which is a different space that can also house a SATA hard drive.)

Centauri
SCSI Port
Views: 863
Message 9 of 13

@Tritip wrote:

Re-reading your post, I think you're confused about what this part is or the specs on the P70. The 500GB drive offered in the ordering process goes into the HDD bay -- not the optical drive space. There are 4 places for drives on a P70. If you order without a spinning drive, the HDD bay is left empty and you can fill it with whatever you want later.

The part is question here is to replace the use of the optical drive space (which is a different space that can also house a SATA hard drive.)

I realize that. That $220 is if you want a mechanical drive where the optical drive used to be and then they ship you the laptop with the hard drive day in place of the optical drive. The drawback with this you have to pay $220 and then you are stuck with a useless 500GB mecanical drive.

The part I am looking is basically the SDD caddy with the exterior bezel that will go in place of the optical drive. That's the part number that was suggested earlier and i was wonderinng if anyone has actually bought this seperately.

Tritip
SCSI Port
Views: 859
Message 10 of 13

I haven't ordered it for the P70 yet but I have ordered the part for T and W series computers over the phone. The part number comes from their parts list for the P70. Other than it possibly being out of stock, they'll sell it to you nbd.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors