Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryushin
Punch Card
Views: 522
Message 1 of 7

P70 Supervisor Password For Storage Devices

My last Thinkpad W500 had an option in the BIOS for the Hard Drive password.  I see no option in the P70 UEFI Firmware.  Does the Supervisor password automatically  send a password to the storage devices?  If so, does it work through the Intel RST RAID1 as well?

I'm running four storage devices in my P70.  Two Samsung 850 EVO M.2 using the Intel RST RAID1 for UEFI, Windows, and /boot for Linux, and two 960GB SanDisk SSD's for my Linux rpool ZFS mirror.

It would just be nice to know for certain that the passwords are enabled on the drives now as well.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 452
Message 2 of 7

Re: P70 Supervisor Password For Storage Devices

Supervisor password is not related to HDD password.

From my quick check here, as long as "RAID Mode Option" is set as "Enabled" and "M.2 SSD" (regardless of whether drives are configured in an array or not), the HDD password option goes away.  

I need to ask a BIOS guy about this.

Ryushin
Punch Card
Views: 426
Message 3 of 7

Please ask the BIOS guy if the other two 2.5" drives will have the supervisor password passed down to them.

Layout:

Two 2 M.2 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB using Intel RST in RAID1.

Two SanDisk Ultra II 960GB drive in attached as SATA and not RAID.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 422
Message 4 of 7

Again, supervisor password is not at all related to HDD password.

What I found out is that there are some bugs in the RAID controller which prevent using HDD password, this is why the HDD password options are missing whenever RAID is enabled by BIOS Setup (even for the drives which are not part of RAID array).  These bugs are currently being worked out and a future BIOS version will allow for setting HDD password even when RAID is enabled.

Ryushin
Punch Card
Views: 413
Message 5 of 7

Great news.  Looking forward to it.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 378
Message 6 of 7

I am not the BIOS guy, but I'm sure the supervisor password isn't sent to the hard drives.  If it were, a user that wasn't the supervisor, couldn't use the drive.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Former Employee
Views: 278
Message 7 of 7

Lenovo released a BIOS update for P70 ThinkPad systems that enables HDD passwords on some RAID models. 

<2.05>
UEFI: 2.05 / ECP: 1.15
- (New) Added Hard Disk password on RAID mode(Except NVMe SSD)

BIOS v2.05 and more recent versions can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-P-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-P70...

Thank you,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors