Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dougschmidt
Punch Card
Views: 388
Message 1 of 3

P70: Thunderbolt/USB-C port bootable?

Hi,

I have a P70 and external Samsung T5 SSD. Currently, I have Window 10 pro installed on main HDD (Toshiba) T5 is connected to Thunderbolt/USB-C port (With USB-C to USB-C cable) (Windows see the drive) When I reboot and go to boot menu (F12) T5 SSD device does not show up.

If I connect T5 SSD (with USB-C to USB3.0 cable) the T5 device will show in the F12 boot menu.

I do not have an OS installed yet, I was just testing to see if/when the device shows up as option.

Is booting a device from Thunderbolt/USB-C port supported?

I found an older post saying no, but that was from 2016 with older BIOS. Is this supported in latest BIOS?

Thanks

Doug

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 355
Message 2 of 3

Re: P70: Thunderbolt/USB-C port bootable?

The answer still seems to be "no".  I took a UEFI-formatted bootable usb-c thumb drive and it did not appear in a P70 boot menu.  The same thumb drive can be used to boot an x1 yoga gen3

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
dougschmidt
Punch Card
Views: 334
Message 3 of 3

Re: P70: Thunderbolt/USB-C port bootable?

Does anyone know if Lenovo plans to support booting from USB-C port?

P70 has two USB 3.1 Type-C ports (Gen 2)

Samsung T5 SSD has one USB 3.1 type-C to C cable and one USB 3.1 type-C to A cable

(cables support USB 3.1 Gen 2) (According to Samsung packaging on box it shipped in)

When I tried T5 SSD with type-C to C cable, the drive did not show up in F12 boot menu.

When I tried T5 SSD with type-C to A cable, the drive showed up in F12 boot menu. I have not installed an OS

on the T5 yet. Using the type-C to A cable would have transfer speeds of USB 3.0?

It would be a nice option to be able to boot and have transfer speeds of USB 3.1

Seems this was brought up 2 years ago;

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-do-not-boot-from-Thunderbolt-or-USB-...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors