Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheBrian
Fanfold Paper
Views: 491
Message 1 of 1

P70 USB 3 and Thunderbolt 3 Port Controller Questions

I'm thinking of getting a P70, I see it has 4 USB 3 ports and 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports.  My questions are:

1: Is each of the USB 3 ports connected to their own controller so that each port is capable of it's maximum bandwidth?  Or are all four ports connected to the same controller so that the data bandwidth is divided among the four ports?

2: Similar Thunderbolt 3 port question.  Is each of the two Thunderbolt 3 ports connected to it's own controller?  Or is the bandwidth shared between the two ports?

I'm planning on using the USB 3 ports (maybe Thunderbolt 3 also) with a high end, high data rate USB 3 camera that, according to the specs, can use up 95% of the USB 3 bandwidth.  If I were to use two cameras at the same time, it would not work if all four ports are connected to the same controller/bus and sharing the bandwidth.  I have read that laptops usually share all USB ports on the same controller.  I'm hopeing it will be different with the P70, being a "professional" workstation class product.

Thanks

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors