cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,610
Message 1 of 8

P70, Win10 1607, BIOS 2.07 - Boot -> ENTER does not go to SETUP

Well, this is something new.  Curious if I'm alone here, or if others are having the same experience.  I'm actually suspicious of the 2.07 BIOS upgrade for the P70 as being responsible, but don't know that for sure.

I have a dual-boot P70, with Win7 Pro being my default primary environment.  I also have Win10 installed, and last week I applied the 1607 upgrade.  No problems.

I also have Macrium Reflect installed, and have added its "recovery" boot mode  to the Windows Boot Manager menu.

The Win10 1607 upgrade assistant also added its own additional item to the Boot Manager menu, with ambiguous text named "Windows Setup", although this is actually "Windows Recovery" enabling you to revert back to a restore point (or system image) which was taken just prior to the 1607 upgrade.  So prior to upgrading Win10 to 1607 my Boot Menu only had THREE items on it, with no Windows Setup item.  But now it has FOUR items on it.

So in fact my Boot Menu now has FOUR items on it, with Win7 being my 10-second default pre-selected item.  I used EasyBCD to rearrange the four items to my liking (with the Windows Recovery item at the very bottom) to reduce the possiblity that I might actually mistakenly arrow-navigate to the Windows Setup item and thus accidently revert Win10 back to my pre-1607 state, which I don't want to do at the moment.  I may soon actually delete that Windows Setup item completely, as I will almost certainly never go back from 1607.

Anyway, here's what my 4-item Boot Menu looks like if I boot my P70 and don't interrupt the Lenovo boot menu process with F1, F12, ENTER or ESC (I apologize for the crummy photo, but the selected second line of the menu is Win7 Pro):

P70_Boot-Manager-menu-screen.jpgP70 Boot Manager menu

Now at machine boot time the red rectangular Lenovo logo appears, offering me the option of "to interrupt normal startup, press ENTER" (again, I apologize for the crummy photo):

P70_Boot-screen.jpgP70 machine boot screen

Now up until last week's Win10 upgrade to 1607 and the unexpected introduction of the fourth "Windows Setup" item to the Windows Boot Manager menu, at this point I could simply press ENTER and would then be immediately presented with the "intermediate" Lenovo sub-menu where I could then press ESC to abort the interruption and revert to normal boot process, or press F1 to enter SETUP to talk to the BIOS.  There were other choices as well but I can't remember what they all are now.

Or, at the "to interrupt normal startup, press ENTER" Lenovo logo prompt I could also press ESC to product the machine boot diagnostic screen, or I could also press F12 to present the boot device menu.

But for sure, pressing ENTER would produce the Lenovo sub-menu offering F1 to enter Setup.  And that's how I used to get into the BIOS Setup utility, was by first pressing ENTER and then pressing F1.

Well, it doesn't work that way any longer.

Now when I press ENTER I do NOT get the Lenovo sub-menu, but instead I get a replacement message (with the red rectangle Lenovo logo still on the screen) that now says "Launching the startup interrupt menu" (which I'm guessing was supposed to be the sub-menu I used to see, with ESC, F1, and a few others, etc., being listed, after which I would press F1 to enter Setup):

P70_after-ENTER.jpgAfter pressing ENTER

This remains on the screen for 1-2 seconds, but instead of next presenting what I'd guess should be the "Startup Interrupt Menu" (i.e. what I've been calling the Lenovo sub-menu, with ESC, F1, etc. listed), I am now presented with the regular Windows Boot Manager menu (with the four items on it as shown earlier)!!

In other words, it is no longer possible for me to get into the BIOS Setup utility any longer using ENTER -> F1 as always used to work, because the "Startup Interrupt Menu" is actually no longer presented!

NOTE: If instead of pressing ENTER at the "to interrupt, press ENTER" message I instead press F1, I am now presented with a message that says "Entering Setup", and Setup is launched, and sure enough I'm now in the BIOS Setup utility.  But I got there by pressing F1, not ENTER -> F1.  ENTER no longer produces the sub-menu (i.e. "Startup Interrupt Menu") as it used to.

So, I don't know if (a) this is something Lenovo has re-engineered in latest BIOS 2.07 and it's simply broken and not working as intended, although they actually did fully intend to present what is now called "Startup Interrupt Menu and which I called "Lenovo sub-menu", presenting ESC, F1, F12, etc., or (b) this is the result of what Win10 1607 upgrade did by placing the fourth item on the Boot Menu, or (c) perhaps some combination of mistakes, where Lenovo's re-engineering of the ENTER boot process hadn't anticipated an existing multi-entry Boot Menu (with either 2, 3, 4, or more items).

Whatever the explanation for the new anomaly, there is no question that for me pressing ENTER at machine boot no longer gets to the "Startup Interrupt Menu".  Instead, it launches the Windows Boot Manager menu immediately.  So I cannot get into BIOS Setup through ENTER -> F1.

Instead, if I want to get into BIOS setup I must now press F1 directly, not ENTER as prompted for me to do in order to "interrupt normal boot process".

BIOS 2.07 at fault?  Win10 1607 upgrade and added Boot Manager item at fault?  Multi-boot environment not tested by Lenovo when developing revised message handling from ENTER at boot in 2.07?

Am I alone? Or do others see this too?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,562
Message 2 of 8

Re: P70, Win10 1607, BIOS 2.07 - Boot -> ENTER does not go to SETUP

Hello,

I do not have a ThinkPad P70, but I did notice that on other computers (desktops and ThinkPads) upgraded to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update I had to reset the Boot Menu Policy to legacy as they were changed back the GUI boot menu.  Although it looks like the P70 is booting up with a text mode boot menu, you may want to refresh it to see if that makes any difference.

I'm not sure what effect this will have on a multi-OS system that has had its boot load order modified with EasyBCD, so be sure to back up any valuable data first as a precaution.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

badhabit_wb
Token Ring
Views: 1,532
Message 3 of 8

Check to see if the windows update turned fastboot back on. That's what it sounds like to me.

Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,503
Message 4 of 8

@badhabit_wb wrote:

Check to see if the windows update turned fastboot back on. That's what it sounds like to me.

I don't even have this power button option presented, because I have disabled hibernation.  So that can't be it.

Win10_shyutdown-options.jpgWin10 power button options

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,495
Message 5 of 8

@goretsky wrote:

I do not have a ThinkPad P70, but I did notice that on other computers (desktops and ThinkPads) upgraded to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update I had to reset the Boot Menu Policy to legacy as they were changed back the GUI boot menu.  Although it looks like the P70 is booting up with a text mode boot menu, you may want to refresh it to see if that makes any difference.

Turns out I can't change the boot menu to be Metro style.  EasyBCD freezes when I push the "save settings" button after checking that box, and the option is NOT saved.  I've also tried the command:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

from a command prompt, and although it said it worked it had no effect.

I have a hunch this is because of what Macrium Reflect did when they added their own recovery option item to the boot menu.  I will contact them, but I believe ever since I did that I reverted to the Win7-style text boot menu.  Not that I mind.  I'm perfectly happy with it.

I simply would like to know what happened suddenly on my P70 so that ENTER does not bring up the Lenovo sub-menu, but instead simply goes to the regular Boot Manager menu.  This simply means I now must use F1 directly to go to BIOS Setup instead of ENTER -> F1, so it's actually faster.  But it obviously is not what is supposed to be happening, and ENTER no longer works as expected.

Oh well.  I still was hoping others who'd applied BIOS 2.07 could chime in that ENTER still works (or not) as expected for them.  Seems like this new BIOS is more likely to be the culprit, as when I press ENTER there is a brand new message indicating "Launching the startup interrupt menu", which is a message I don't ever remember seeing before when I pressed ENTER with BIOS 2.06 or older.

Guru
Views: 1,484
Message 6 of 8

ENTER works on BIOS 2.08 on my P70.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.29, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.21,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,458
Message 7 of 8

@harrisb wrote:

ENTER works on BIOS 2.08 on my P70.

Thanks for the info.  Do you even get a Windows boot menu on your P70 when you boot?  Do you see that additional "Wndows Setup" item (to revert back from 1607, if you wanted to back it out) that got placed there (on my boot menu, anyway) when 1607 was applied to Win10?

I didn't realize there was already a 2.08, which happened to be released a day after I'd applied 2.07.  I was hoping there might already be a fix for my issue, so I have now just upgraded to 2.08.

No joy.  Same symptom.  I press ENTER at the first prompt, the message changes to "Launching the startup interrupt menu", a few seconds of black screen pass, and then I get my text-mode Windows Boot Manager menu screen instead of that intermediate Lenovo sub-menu offering me five or six PFkey choices (ESC, F1, etc.) which always used to appear.

But I can still just press F1 immediately at the ENTER prompt, and the message changes to "Launching Setup", and then within 1 second I'm seeing the BIOS Setup main screen.

So, obviously there is something different in my environment, and it's not BIOS 2.07 or 2.08.  And I'm guessing you've also upgraded to Win10 1607.

That leaves my additional Macrium Reflect entry on my boot menu, and the fact that I also have both Win7 and Win10 on my boot menu so I always was getting the boot-time menu presented whereas you probably just launch immediately into your one-and-only default Windows and never see the boot menu.

And then there's the fact that I've used EasyBCD to rearrange the order of my boot menu items, to place the "Windows Setup/recovery" item last.

Plus, for some reason EasyBCD cannot perform "save settings" when I try to revert boot menu from text mode back to Metro mode (i.e. GUI), but instead just hangs.  This might be a problem because of the UEFI BIOS as the program gives a warning at launch about reduced EasyBCD functionality due to the UEFI BIOS.

And the BCDEDIT command to accomplish the same thing also claims it saved, but I still am in text mode.

And finally, there's the fact that my boot drive is on NVMe0 so my EFI System Partition is on a Samsung 950 Pro, but that really shouldn't be relevant.

Hmmm...

Guru
Views: 1,448
Message 8 of 8

I wouldn't see a Windows boot menu unless there were multiple OS installed in the system. I've seen no adverse issues with the 1607 update other than than some initial driver incompatibilities with the Bluetooth driver and my USB 3.0 dock with DisplayLink. I believe that you've created a unique situation with all of the options that are on your system. I've also never installed Windows 7 on this P70. The system has been quite stable since initial turnon and I haven't even entertained going to Windows 7 (which I still have on my W520). The Anniversary update has refined several items to the better that I regularly use. BTW, I have been using Acronis since the first day that I've had this system and also on my T460s. I've done one full image restore on the T460s when I thought I had to recover a program and that was flawless in execution.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.29, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.21,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors