Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 2,566
Message 1 of 9

P70 fingerprint software issue

I now have a dual-boot Win7/Win10 P70.

After being very impressed yesterday with the fingerprint login functionallity in both Win7 and Win10 using the new fingerprint sensor on the P70, I was suriprised today when I rebooted the machine wo Win10 after having been off all night and the fingerprint option icon had simply disappeared from the Welcome screen.  Yesterday I had gone through the enrollment process in both Win7 and Win10, and everything seemed to be working perfectly. But today after starting the machine after haivng been powered off for many hours, it just disappeared from Win10.

I then repeated the Win10 enrollment (I think this is part of Windows Hello functionality), and sure enough it was now back again and seemingly working fine.

I then had to go back to Win7 to check something, and was surprised to find that even though the fingerprint icon was offered to me and I selected it, while Windows was now waiting for me to put my finger on the sensor the sensor itself was not active!  So I instead logged into Win7 via passwword and repeated the Win7 enrollment which I'd done yesterday.  And once again, everything now seemed to work fine across several re-boot tests to Win7.  I then stayed in Win7 to do what I had originally gone there to do.

Well, now I re-booted back to Win10, where just a while ago that third login icon for fingerprint had been present on the Welcome screen, and now it's once again gone!!  Disappeared vanished completely on its own, having been present and functional a mere hour ago.

It's been a long day, and I'm not going to dwell on this anymore tonight.  But I did want to start a new problem thread dedicated to this issue.  Tomorrow I will try to remain in one Windows or the other all day and see if the fingerprint functionality at least remains active and 100% functional as long as I don't boot to the other Windows.

Note that as I read things, there are two separate fingerprint software packages provided by Lenovo:

(a) Win7 - Lenovo Touch Fingerprint Software

(b) Win10 - Synaptics Metallica Fingerprint Software.

And then there is this new "Windows Hello" functionality in Win10 that also is involved.

I don't know if my anomalies regarding disappearing or non-functioning fingerprint software/hardware stems from having two Windows versions or something else.  It certainly was working perfectly yesterday when I first activated it on both Win7 and then Win10.  It was only today, when I booted to Win10 only to see it GONE that my observation of inconsistent and seemingly crazy behaivor start happening.

Can anybody else (presumably most will have just a single OS, either Win7 or Win10) who's had a chance to use the fingerprint sensor functionality please comment on how this feature is working for you?

Do you retain it or lose it across power-off, and/or sleep, etc?

Anything else anybody can add?

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,555
Message 2 of 9

Re: P70 fingerprint software issue

Well that's great.  Since the fingerprint login icon for Win10 had disappeared on me, I decided to go ahead and re-enroll for the third time.  I got into Settings and then pushed the "remove" button for my fingerprint, and then pushed the "add another" button to start the process again.  That's how I had done it each of the two previous enrollments.

The dialog started, I entered my PIN, and then it asked me to scan my finger.  I put my finger on the sensor, and instead of registering it and moving on to asking me for the additional scans, Windows Hello apparently broke!

Windows Hello failure

I've tried this five times now, including rebooting in between, but to no avail.  I guess something corrupted in the Registry now and I'll have to research how to "clean house" so that I can start over.

Grrr... and things were going swimmingly with my Win10 learning experience.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,533
Message 3 of 9

DSperber

Unfortunately I have bad news about this issue.  Due to the security implementation of fingerprint, it will not be possible to dual-boot between Win7/Win10 and have fingerprint working in both OS.  The OS itself uniquely "owns" the fingerprint hardware so if another OS comes online the fingerprint templates stored on the hardware are invalidated.  It leads to this situation you find.

To recover from this situation on Win10 it might be necessary to clear the fingerprint in BIOS Setup -> Security -> Fingerprint -> Reset Fingerprint Data.  

To prevent this issue from happening in the future, here is my advice.  Pick which OS (either Win7 or Win10) where you prefer fingerprint to work.  Then, disable the the fingerprint device in the other OS (from Device Manager).  I haven't personally tried this, but hopefully it will prevent fingerprints from being wiped out in the OS that you prefer.

Sorry for this trouble but I just don't see a solution to make fingerprint work in a dual-boot situation for both OS.

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,528
Message 4 of 9

Well, once again you've provided the explanation as well as solution for my issue. And again, a gentleman and a scholar.  I did not know about how this fingerprint functionality worked as a joint effort of hardware and software (with different software used for Win7 vs. Win10), but your explanation has now clarified why it cannot work in dual-boot mode.

I did what you suggested, disabling the fingerprint device in Win7 since I have a feeling I may actually be running under Win10 more and thus would more likely want to take advantage of fingerprint signon for that environment.  And if it turns out this is not the way I use the P70, with Win7 actually being my OS of choice, I now know how to reverse the setup so that the fingerprint signon can be used in Win7 and not Win10.

I then entered the BIOS and reset the fingerprint data as your described.

I then booted to Win10 and re-enrolled. This time, as expected there no longer was a problem with Windows Hello.  I was able to successfully complete the multiple fingerprint scans, and that was it.  I then logged off and on to test out whether or not the fingerprint icon had returned, and of course it had.  Touched it briefly and I was logged in.

So, case closed.  New knowledge about fingerprint hardware/software now learned.

Many thanks.

aaurnab
SCSI Port
Views: 2,156
Message 5 of 9

Why I Can't use Fingerprint for "Power on" my P50, on windows 10 x64. Is it normal?

Guru
Views: 2,152
Message 6 of 9

Unfortunately, the power-on functionality has been removed. You can still have the fingerprint reader handle the passwords for the pre-desktop.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.29, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.19,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
aaurnab
SCSI Port
Views: 2,131
Message 7 of 9

I could not get "pre desktop"

Guru
Views: 2,114
Message 8 of 9

You need to set at least one password.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.29, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.19,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
CTZ
Paper Tape
Views: 1,743
Message 9 of 9

Hypothetically, wouldn't it be possible for the BIOS to have an option not to invalidate the fingerprints? I think I understand the design rationale for the way it is (preventing security bypass) and also that the system softwares may store them in different formats, but for my purposes, I was thinking each system would at least have half of the storage slots (five of ten?) that it could recognize the scan of an individual fingerprint. The only value I can see with this solution (disabling the hardware) is that one would immediately know that fingerprints had been altered or added in a different boot of the hardware if/when they don't work anymore. I would point out that accessing the hardware can be locked down already by other options in the BIOS (boot order, etc.).

I said "hypothetically", but if it isn't too difficult or break some ISO security pledge or something, I would like it to be considered as a customer suggestion. It's not the first time maximum security and real world usability have been in conflict. In my mind as a programmer, the hard part would be writing the help explanation in the BIOS screen of what the switch does. I have been given the choice of whether I want my machine to be encrypted or be boot protected and yet some guru somewhere seems to think a limited numeric PIN is more secure than a password or a fingerprint (Hello?).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors