Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jblcclbj
Punch Card
Views: 1,270
Message 1 of 11

P70 super loud and sudden fan noise

My P70 has an odd fan behavior, where the fans run full-blast for a few seconds, every time the system needs to cool even barely.

After those few seconds of jet-engine noise, the fans go to their steady-state behavior which is a soft noise. Is Lenovo aware of this behavior on the P70?

It is annoying to have in such a high-end machine, and distracting when this happens every few minutes.

The fans should just move up to slow from idle, not move through a phase of super loud blasting...

jblcclbj
Punch Card
Views: 1,212
Message 2 of 11

Re: P70 super loud and sudden fan noise

Anyone else see this odd behavior? Lenovo, any comment?

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,190
Message 3 of 11

Win7 or Win10?

If Win7, what is your Power Plan as set in Power Manager?  What are the settings (including the advanced custom items below the main GUI)?

Power Manager isn't implemented in Win10, so this may be relevant to your symptom.  I guess either Win10 itself handles this job, or who knows what.  Oddly, there is a Power Management Driver for Win10, but no Power Manager program itself.

jblcclbj
Punch Card
Views: 1,150
Message 4 of 11

Win 7. Power manager is set to balanced. But, this behavior occurs regardless of what passive/active cooling or other power settings are set to.

jblcclbj
Punch Card
Views: 1,101
Message 5 of 11

Lenovo, any comment?

I also notice behavior where the fan goes to full blast for 2 seconds out of nowhere (there has been no fan motion for ten minutes), and then goes back to idle for another 10 minutes. No intermediate stage, nothing; just scrolling on a low-bandwidth page like this one.

That sudden isolated full blast doesn't make sense, and is clearly some problem to resolve. There should (at the least) be a gradual rampup)

jblcclbj
Punch Card
Views: 1,052
Message 6 of 11

I'm a bit confused at the lack of replies on this thread, does nobody else with a P70 have this erratic sudden fan blast behavior?

jblcclbj
Punch Card
Views: 1,004
Message 7 of 11

I'm monitoring CPU temperatures and fan activation. The fans burst on full during a transition from around 12.5 W, to around 13 W; there is no intermediate fan state.

One of the CPUs goes from peak 55C to peak 58 C suddenly, then the fans activate.

Given that the fan transition occurs so suddenly when heat dissipation increases only a little, I'm guessing this is a BIOS bug where core temperature fluctuation causes over-reaction by the fans. I saw this in the W530 as well before they issued a BIOS fix for it.

Lenovo, and comment?

flippedb
What's DOS?
Views: 746
Message 8 of 11

push

Same issue here. Actually didn't notice the issue until i switched back to windows just now, was running linux on it for about a month or so. Not sure if it actually happened on linux, will pay attention now and confirm if it doesn't.

I just bought my P70 about 3 months ago and just realized now where the sound was coming from. Considering i spent over 5000 on this, not a good sign, would really hate to send this for service... and obviously will not open this up while its still under warrenty.

Any update on this issue? Before I have to contact customer service...

My issue, is that it makes a screeching noise every so often when the fan kicks onto full blast for a brief moment. Quite positive that I did not drop or hit my laptop in any manner. So i'm guessing either poor design or bad part? ... :/

rup00000
Punch Card
Views: 729
Message 9 of 11

I also have the same problem. After the computer is left on for a prolonged period of time (>5 hours) at idle with only a few Chrome tabs open and nothing running in the background, fans kick in loudly and suddenly at short intervals (around 2-3 minutes). 

I keep a close eye on system temperature using HWMonitor, and fans start revving when the system temperature reaches 56-57C. However, there is no reason for the computer to reach such high temperatures as I am lightly browsing the web and nothing else. 

I know this problem will go away once I restart the computer, but I cannot believe this supposedly top of the line workstation is unable to handle being left idle without producing a problem. My aforementioned symptom seems to only appear when I leave the laptop at idle with the lid closed; several hours of continouous usage did not have the same effect.

SeniorGuru
Views: 723
Message 10 of 11

@rup00000 wrote:

After the computer is left on for a prolonged period of time (>5 hours) at idle with only a few Chrome tabs open and nothing running in the background, fans kick in loudly and suddenly at short intervals (around 2-3 minutes). 

I keep a close eye on system temperature using HWMonitor, and fans start revving when the system temperature reaches 56-57C. However, there is no reason for the computer to reach such high temperatures as I am lightly browsing the web and nothing else. 

I know this problem will go away once I restart the computer

Maybe it's the web page(s) you've got open.  Advertisements pushed out?  FLASH animations?  These have a habit of pushing up CPU usage while running, which of course will eventually cause heat and resulting fan.  Just a thought.  Something must have happened to trigger this, if >5 hours went by and everything was normal, and your open browser is the obvious suspect since it's actually running for those >5 hours.

What happens if you do NOT leave a few Chrome tabs open, and just leave your desktop open during these >5 hours of idle.  Do you see the same symptom of fan acceleration?

Do you have anti-virus or anti-malware scans that run periodically?  That tends to consume CPU as well.

My suspicion is that something eating CPU is running periodically that you're just not aware of.

Top Kudoed Authors