Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
albycamel
Blue Screen Again
Views: 467
Message 1 of 5

P71 BIOS xeon - not booting

Hi there, I am so stupid. I was distracted today by a recommended BIOS update that flashed on the screen. Needing a break and being naive, I clicked-on the update following the steps required. 

My computer now no longer boots up.

P71 20HK - Intel E3-1505M v6

I have read many posts about potential solutions........reaching out to ask whether anyone else has been silly enough to download this 'recommended' update (13/march/2018) and perhaps have a solution?

Thanks in advance

SeniorGuru
Views: 422
Message 2 of 5

Re: P71 BIOS xeon - not booting

What does "no longer boots" mean?  Just doesn't boot to Windows?  Or something more fundamental?

Do you get the red Lenovo logo?  Can you press ENTER to get into BIOS Setup utility? Does Setup work?  Can you navigate over to the

STARTUP tab and press ENTER on the "boot" item to see the boot devices?

At the red Lenovo logo, can you press F12 to select a boot device?

If you can get into BIOS or F12 to select boot device, can you burn the ISO version of the prior BIOS and then boot to it, to revert your P71 back to the previous BIOS version?

albycamel
Blue Screen Again
Views: 415
Message 3 of 5

I just get a black screen. I hear the fans working but that's as far as it gets. It don't think the hard drive is booting.  

SeniorGuru
Views: 399
Message 4 of 5

I'm sure your P71 is still under warranty.

I believe it takes a motherboard replacement to deal with a bricked machine due to a failed BIOS update, but this is covered under warranty. This is true for both desktop and laptop machines.  Seems like an extreme solution, but there's no other way to get the machine working again when the firmware's been wiped out.

I'd phone Lenovo to open a repair ticket.

JohnFang
What's DOS?
Views: 381
Message 5 of 5

Unplug everything from you P71. Take out the battery.

Wait for 10 - 15 minutes.

Turn on your laptop.

That's how I got mine to start when this happens to me.

You may need to do this a couple times.  

The black screen of death has happened to me a few times after BIOS/Firmware updates on the P71 and that's what I did to get it to work again.

Hope this helps you.

John

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors