Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Derrick75
Paper Tape
Views: 1,108
Message 1 of 6

P71 ThinkPad does not utilize the NVIDIA Quadro P4000 video card

Just curios why the on board monitor of my P71 ThinkPad does not utilize the NVIDIA Quadro P4000 video card. Instead it is connected to Intel HD Graphics P630.  Please see the attached screen shot of my display settings.

rimcrazy
Punch Card
Views: 1,106
Message 2 of 6

Re: P71 ThinkPad does not utilize the NVIDIA Quadro P4000 video card

I would think you should be able to completely disable the Intel HD Graphics in the BIOS.
Lenovo P72 E-2176M, P4200, 64Gb Non-ECC, 2x2Tb RAID 0 Sam 970EVO, 4Tb Sam 860 EVO
Derrick75
Paper Tape
Views: 1,102
Message 3 of 6

I tried that but then the on board monitor just went black.  Maybe the fancy video card is not required to display graffics on the smaller on board monitor?

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,068
Message 4 of 6

The laptop screen is always handled by the built-in Intel HD Graphics GPU when you have "hybrid graphics" specified in the BIOS.  With this setting all externally connected displays are handled by the nVidia GPU.  This is how it is designed and supposed to work.  The only time the nVidia GPU will kick in for the laptop screen is if additional GPU horsepower performance is needed (as determined by the firmware), and/or if you "force" it with nVidia Control Panel 3D settings.  This is known as Optimus Mode, or "hybrid graphics".

If you change the BIOS setting to specify "discrete graphics" then the built-in Intel HD graphics hardware is essentially disappeared from the machine and no longer exists. Now the nVidia GPU is also assigned responsibility for the laptop screen in addition to handling all external displays.  The Intel graphics driver and control sofware (from right-click menu) is "vaporized" and doesn't even show up in Device Manager, because the hardware has been conceptually "vaporized".

So this "discrete graphics" mode of operation will give you 100% maximum graphics performance on the laptop screen, as well as on all external displays.  This is really how you SHOULD BE RUNNING if you have the laptop plugged into wall power, since the only advantage of the built-in Intel HD Graphics is that it uses less battery than the nVidia GPU and thus "hybrid graphics" has that sole advantage when running in portable mode.  But for plugged-in mode, there is no justfication for not running "discrete graphics" and using the nVidia GPU for everything, getting the maximum graphics performance you paid big dollars for.

Derrick75
Paper Tape
Views: 1,038
Message 5 of 6

This sound like the right solution.  However, I am unable to modify my settings to go into "discrete graphics" mode and force the NVIDIA Quadro P4000 video card to run the on board display of my laptop.  Anything else you can offer will be apprciated.  Thanks!

Derrick75
Paper Tape
Views: 1,021
Message 6 of 6

Pressing f1 while booting enters setup. From there I could navigate to enter "discrete graphics" mode.  Once "discrete graphics" was turned on NVIDIA Quadro P4000 video card runs all the time for all on board and external displays.  This mode is best for high performance but not recommended for long battery life.  This only matters on your laptop when you are not plugged into a power source.  If battery life is an issue for some circumstance "discrete graphics" can be turned off.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors