Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kekistan_prez
Punch Card
Views: 570
Message 1 of 20

P71 card reader only reading MMC cards [realtek / alcor]

Hi, I have a P71 installed with W10 Pro (factory installed) - it seems that my SD card reader doesn't want to read SD/SDHC/SDXC cards even when inserted fully.

I have tested 3 SD cards (4gb/4gb/4gb) and 1 MicroSD -> SD adapter card (32GB). If I use a USB adapter it works but with P71 the computer doens't read anything.

I have secure boot disabled and CSM off, fast boot is also off. I also verified that USB setting is from factory and no devices are disabled under the OS.

I downloaded and installed both the Alcor / Realtek card driver for the machine, the issue is still not fixed.

Weirdly if I use a 256MB MMC (similar form factor as SD) it works normally.

I wonder what's the issue?

Moderator comment: Bumping more frequently than 3 days unfairly pushes other members' threads downwards. Bumping post(s) removed.

kekistan_prez
Punch Card
Views: 502
Message 2 of 20

Re: P71 card reader only reading MMC cards [realtek / alcor]

bumping cause more than 3 days

also it's nice of you mods to delet post but not help the issue Smiley Tongue

Guru
Views: 488
Message 3 of 20

Do any drives with unassigned drive letters appear in Disk Management when you have an SD card inserted?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
kekistan_prez
Punch Card
Views: 481
Message 4 of 20

SD card inserted doesn't show as a partition in disk management.

kekistan_prez
Punch Card
Views: 441
Message 5 of 20

bumping for 3 days

SeniorGuru
Views: 431
Message 6 of 20

Can't comment about P71, since I have a P70.  And I have both Win7 Pro and Win10 Pro installed.  Realtek card reader works perfectly in both environments with a regular 4GB SDHC card (formatted as FAT32) I tried.  I don't have an adapter so I can't try a 64GB microSD card I also have.

I do notice that in Win7 the driver is provided by Realtek, whereas in Win10 it is provided by MS.  Otherwise, the card reader seems to work perfectly and the 4GB FAT32 card is fully accessible.  In Win7 there is a Hardware ID shown in Device Manager and it's in the category called "Memory Technology Driver".  In Win10 there's no Hardware ID shown but its category is "Portable Devices".  So it does look the handling of the device is different in Win10 from Win7 (and a driver from Realtek).

Are you sure you pushed it in all the way?  It's really in a poor location, right down in the lower part of the right-side edge which is beveled to make it even more difficult to get to... and especially to try and eject the card.  I had to use a toothpick to push the card in so that the spring-lock latch would release and the card would pop out a bit so that I could then grab it with my nails and pull it out.

In passing I mention that this is the same type of poor ergonomic design used for the optical CD/DVD on the left side, which again is ultra-slim and is installed in that lower bevel of the left edge.  I complained about it bitterly when I first got my P70 back in January 2016.  Again, it's extremely difficult to use your finger tips or nail to push the tray's eject button in so that it pops out, either to insert a disc or to eject a disc.  The problem again is the beveled side edge, with the very small button down in the lower bevel where you just can't get to it easily, unlike say that of the W530 where the sides are straight vertical and the slim (not ultra-slim) optical drive is on the right edge and has a nice big button that's easy to find and push.

Anyway, when I pushed the SD card in all the way it grabbed perfectly and locked. And I immediately got the "new hardware detected" sound, both on Win7 and Win10.

So for me, anyway, and my P70, the card reader works perfectly.

First two screenshots below are from Win7. Second two screenshots are from Win10.

Realtek-card-reader-Win7.jpg

SDHC-FAT32.jpg

Realtek-card-reader-Win10.jpg

K-FAT32_Win10.jpg

SeniorGuru
Views: 428
Message 7 of 20

Oops... just noticed that there actually is the same "Memory Technology Driver" category in Win10 as there is in Win7, along with a genuine Hardware ID.  And sure enough there is a Realtek driver.  In Win7 it was version 10.0.10125.21277 dated 6/4/2015.

For Win10 it looks as follows:

Win10_Realtek-memory.jpg

Win10_Realtek-driver.jpg

Guru
Views: 413
Message 8 of 20

Maybe the classic solution of compressed air is something simple to try too...

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
kekistan_prez
Punch Card
Views: 402
Message 9 of 20

https://i.imgur.com/yAMtAzU.png

https://i.imgur.com/VdwdwC6.png

https://i.imgur.com/pLITtyg.png

https://i.imgur.com/sKa9RtC.png

https://i.imgur.com/13gNZsS.png

This is with my MMC card installed

Using compressed air doesn't help, the card is fully secured in.

The SD card is not displayed at all.

SeniorGuru
Views: 396
Message 10 of 20

Just out of curiosity, how are your three failing SD cards formatted?  FAT?  FAT32?  Something else?

Can you show what one of these looks like when successfully seen when it's inserted into a USB card reader and read that way?

I suppose it's theoretically possible that it could actually be a defective Realtek card reader, which for some reason can successfully interface with an MMC card but can't with an SD card. There is a slight difference in the contacts of the two interfaces, with MMC and SD sharing contacts 1-7, but with only the larger capacity SD card using 8-9 and I suppose there could be some type of electrical/physical problem with contacts 8 or 9 inside the socket.  Maybe something pertaining to contacts 8 or 9 inside the socket is bent or broken, so that either 8 or 9 of these SD cards is not making electrical contact thus making it effectively missing, hence your issue of not being able to see a card which requires all 9 contacts to be active.

In contrast, your external USB card reader clearly doesn't have anything defective about contacts 8-9 inside its SD socket.  Hence why everything works perfectly using it.

SD-MMC_contacts.jpg

Assuming your P71 is under warranty why don't you just open a ticket with Lenovo to get them to replace the card reader.  I think it's clear the device should be working.  Looking at your P71 Hardware ID vs. my P70 value, there is a difference in the SUBSYS value (perhaps because your is newer), but otherwise these are most likely intended to be the same.

Just ask Lenovo to replace it, and let's see if it works then.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors