cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oldT41user
Paper Tape
Views: 1,016
Message 1 of 5

P71 way to Permanently disable Intel ME and AMT remote management??

In light of Spectre, Meltdown, and just other exploits out there I'd like to know if there's a way to permanently disable Remote Management on the P71, this will be a personal workstation machine anyways, so no need for Intel AMT or ME or Vpro either way.  

I saw that someone on reddit had posted this article regarding the concern over the topic and how other vendors are offering solutions to permanetly disable remote management since it seems rather insecure:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/computer-vendors-start-disabling-intel-management-engine/

---

Can anyone verify if there is a viable solution from Lenovo or otherwise for this on the Thinkpad P71?

TIA.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 920
Message 2 of 5

Re: P71 way to Permanently disable Intel ME and AMT remote management??

The easiest way is to set Intel AMT as "Permanently Disabled" in BIOS setup.  Then it is impossible to enable it again.

oldT41user
Paper Tape
Views: 839
Message 3 of 5

Are you sure this setting is in the P71 BIOS?  I had a friend check his P71 with the latest update and he didn't see an option to disable AMT/ME.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 813
Message 4 of 5

Good day.

Have a look at the P71 FRU listing: https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/p71_frubom_20170830.pdf

The PLANARS section shows several system boards (i7-7700HQ models) that don't appear to be AMT-equipped at all. Could your friend have such a (non-)equipped machine?

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

oldT41user
Paper Tape
Views: 782
Message 5 of 5

Hey there, he has an e1505, but I don't have other details regarding his board, so we don't know.

At this point, I'll probably wait for the P72 and hopefully Lenovo will have an option to order one without Intel AMT/ME, though useful in a corporate deployment environment, it's not needed for a personal machine and poses as a security risk for an individual workstation.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors