Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QuietlyFocused
Serial Port
Views: 1,171
Message 1 of 16

P72 Benchmarks

Long before receiving a P72, I had hoped to have been able to view some benchmark results prior to the purchase decision.  In an effort to begin that discussion here, I ran a couple of benchmark tests using MAXON Cinebench and OTOY OctaneBench on a P72 with these selected specs:

Lenovo P72

Intel Xeon E-2186M 6 Core Processor

Nvidia Quadro P5200 16 GB

17.3” UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) wide gamut display

64 GB DDR4 2400 MHz (Non-ECC)

2 x 2 TB SSD (Raid 1 Mirrored)

2 TB 5400 RPM HDD

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

https://www.maxon.net/en/products/cinebench/

https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/

I am posting screenshots of the results based on a fresh, out of the box unit, with no tweaking.  All current Windows updates and Lenovo hardware driver and utility updates are installed, and very little else other than Firefox, X-Rite i1Profiler calibration utility, and the benchmark applications.

If you have a P72, feel free to post your own specs and benchmark results for comparison purposes.  To my eyes anyway, some of these scores represent in large part why I chose to give the P72 a try as I was seeking the utility of speed and power over extreme portability.  However, due to no Lenovo sRGB compatibility mode and poor internal speaker placement, I am struggling to justify keeping the unit.  Still, if you're after raw power, and can put up with various workarounds like ditching the Windows OS, using only color managed applications, or relying on external monitors / speakers, the P72 might meet your needs.  While the OctaneBench rendering tests were putting a lot of heat out of the vents with the fans blowing at what I would humbly yet subjectively expect to be a reasonable noise level considering the task, the keyboard was not scorching hot and the resulting numbers seemed encouraging at first glance.  If the sRGB and audio issues were able to be resolved, this could be an amazing machine for my needs, but that's just my initial impression when compared to my own older desktop workstations.  By all means, please run your own benchmarks, monitor the heat and noise levels, and see if CPU throttling becomes an issue for you for the applications you regularly use.  Given the circumstances, I may not have the machine much longer, but under a specifically controlled environment I could see how some people might really appreciate it, and so hopefully these benchmark scores provide value to some prospective customers.

Please feel free to add to this thread as additional test results contribute to the discussion.

Cinebench R15 OpenGL Result: 177.05 fps

P72 CB OpenGL 2018-12-08 231317.jpg

Cinebench R15 CPU Result: 978 cb
P72 CB CPU 2018-12-08 231045.jpg

OctaneBench 3 Result: 112.89

P72 OB3 2018-12-08 233136.jpg

OctaneBench 4 Result: 143.99

P72 OB4 2018-12-08 234354.jpg

What do you all think of these scores? Does it make the size and weight worth it in your opinion?

ThinkPadUser99
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,143
Message 2 of 16

Re: P72 Benchmarks

The scores are on the lower side. I have the same configuration as yours. I did the following (listed below). After these steps, I am getting cinebench scores consistenly between 1050 - 1088

1. Did a fresh install of Windows10 Pro for Workstations 1809. I did not face any issues with 1809.

2. Installed all Lenovo drivers.

3. Installed Lenovo Vantage from the Microsoft Store.

4. In Lenovo Vantage app, Hardware Settings -> Smart Settings -> Disable Intelligent cooling and activated "Extreme Performance"

5. Go to Control Panel  > Power Options. Ensure you have "Balanced" option is selected, then click on "Change Plan settings" next to Balanced power plan

6. Click on "Restore default settings for this plan" (this is important)

7. Now, set the power slider (task bar) to "Better Performance". (this is also important)

Before running cinebench I disabled "Real-time device protection" of Windows Defender.

Performance settings higher than "Better Performance" of the power slider or "High Performance" power plan is reducing the performance due to heavy thermal/power/current limit throttling. "Better performance" setting has given me consistent results.

OliverK1
SCSI Port
Views: 1,087
Message 3 of 16

I agree, the battery and performance settings seem to influence it a lot.

Otherwise, I have followed a lot the performance benchmarks of the P1, XPS15, Razor and gaming laptops with the same CPU.

My learning is that the performance depends a LOT on the cooling. In smaller machines the thermal throttle kicks in quickly, and sustainable performance is not possible. Often the i5 gives better results, because of less fluctuations due to throttle.

I think only the Lenovo P72 and Dell 7350, 17" laptops don't compromise the thermals of the CPU + GPU. And even these perform better with undervolting and repasting.

THuckabay
Punch Card
Views: 1,058
Message 4 of 16

What do you mean by "no Lenovo sRGB compatibility mode?" Very few laptops have OSD display settings, and the wide gamut display of the P72 certainly does handle the sRGB color space.
QuietlyFocused
Serial Port
Views: 1,047
Message 5 of 16

@THuckabay wrote:
What do you mean by "no Lenovo sRGB compatibility mode?" Very few laptops have OSD display settings, and the wide gamut display of the P72 certainly does handle the sRGB color space.

Refer to this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P72-sRGB-compatibility-mode/td-p/4253273

Please, how do you propose eliminating the grossly oversaturated colors in non-color managed Windows applications without an sRGB compatibility mode as found on desktop wide gamut displays?  I would be most grateful if you have a solution other than "get used to it".

Feel free to respond in the thread on the subject, as this thread is focused on benchmarks.  Thanks.

THuckabay
Punch Card
Views: 925
Message 6 of 16

I have a suggestion to try for the oversaturated colors on the P72's display: try "ThinkColor for Windows 10, 7 (32-bit, 64-bit)", which is the Lenovo equivalent to Dell's Premiere Color application:  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/co/en/downloads/ds502187

It might not work, but then again, if you are planning to return your system anyway, install it and see if it does, and then report back to all of us who are having the same issue. Smiley Happy

Here's more information (AND A DOWNLOAD BUTTON):  https://www.portrait.com/dtune/ldt/enu/index.html

Here's a link where you may be able to download the same (or very similar) from Lenovo:  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/co/en/downloads/ds502187

Explicitly supported hardware (e.g., Nvidia graphics cards):  https://www.portrait.com/templates/portraitdisplays/pdf/supported_hardware.pdf

Controlling wide gamut displays (information):  http://www.portrait.com/Controlling_Wide_Gamut.pdf

ThinkPadUser99
Fanfold Paper
Views: 908
Message 7 of 16

I also faced an issue where my display was brownish. I found a setting in Lenovo Vantage > Audio/Visual > Eye Care mode was accidently on. After I switched off that my display is normal.

QuietlyFocused
Serial Port
Views: 905
Message 8 of 16

@ThinkPadUser99 wrote:

My display was brownish and after I switched off Eye care mode in Lenovo Vantage > Audio/Visual > Eye Care mode the display was back to normal.

The Eye care mode is just to reduce blue light exposure at night to help you sleep better.  When you say "back to normal", do you have a 4K UHD wide gamut display or the lower resolution, narrower color gamut Full HD display?  The higher resolution wide gamut display is the issue, as it has oversaturated colors in non-color managed Windows applications due to the absence of an sRGB compatibility mode utility.

[Crossposted at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Cramped-keyboard-on-P72-P52-what-a-disap...]

ThinkPadUser99
Fanfold Paper
Views: 878
Message 9 of 16

I have 4K UHD display.

QuietlyFocused
Serial Port
Views: 863
Message 10 of 16

@ThinkPadUser99 wrote:

I have 4K UHD display.

So you are effectively saying, for example, that watching YouTube videos with wildly oversaturated colors and sunburned people is not a problem for you?  For me, at least, that's not something I can get used to, as it's just completely wrong and could be avoided with a proper utility for sRGB simulation like on a desktop wide gamut monitor.  Not even the Firefox internet browser, which can be configured for wide gamut support for still images, is able to fix oversaturated video streams.

I saw the Eye Care option in the Lenovo Vantage utility when I received the laptop and made sure it was turned off after seeing what it did.  It's about the same thing as turning on the night mode on my Samsung Note 9 smartphone.  Adjusting the color temperature slider is not the same thing as having a properly characterized hardware profile for a specific display in order to translate between a wide color gamut (e.g. Adobe RGB) and a narrower color gamut (e.g. sRGB).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors