Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmwman91
Fanfold Paper
Views: 553
Message 1 of 4

P72 Black Screen / Unresponsive After Going Idle

I have a nice new P72 with the Xeon E-2176M and Quadro P4200 Max-Q. An almost daily issue that I have been having with it is that it becomes unresponsive after the timeout to lock the machine and turn off the display. This is a work machine with a required 10 minute display timeout to lock the machine, so I will frequently return to my desk to find that I have to do a hard-reset by holding the power button.

The issue has occurred mostly with my external displays connected (2 x Dell U2413, mDP to first one, then DP pass-through to the second), but seems to also occur with just the internal display. I'd say that this happens 25% of the time after the screen goes blank after timeout. Hibernation and sleep are disabled.

Unplugging & replugging the mDP plug does nothing, turning the monitors on and off via their power buttons will restore display maybe 20% of the time, the keyboard and mouse do nothing, Fn+Sleep does nothing, the HDD activity light blinks away randomly like it is busy accessing something, and the only fix is to hold the power button to force a reboot.

rimcrazy
Punch Card
Views: 496
Message 2 of 4

Re: P72 Black Screen / Unresponsive After Going Idle

Interesting you posted this as I was just about to make a similar post.  In my configuration I have the same P72 with the P4000 Quadro.  I have my external displays connected via the TB3 Lenovo dock for the P72.  My external monitors are a Dell 3440x1440 and Dell 2560x1440 monitor.  At least once a day if not twice a day, when I'm just working my external monitors will just suddenly go black.  I can always get them back by turning off my main screen (3440x1440) and then turning it back on but it is a real PITA.  I just updated the BIOS on my P72 to the latest version and Win10 updated last week to the very latest version.  In addition to the "blackout while working" issue I am also having the same issue when I let the screen (not the computer) go to sleep.  I have my power settings so when my P72 is plugged in the screen will sleep after 10 mins and require a password to log in.  The computer is never put to sleep.  In the past few days probably 3 or 4 times I have had to hard hard power button reboot the P72 because it was completely unresponsive to keyboard/mouse inputs.  Both on my wireless logitech keyboard and the keyboard right on the unit itself.  Nothing would bring it back except a hard reset.

I don't know if this is a Win10 issue or a Lenovo issue but I'm really getting sick and tired of it.  It should not be happening.

Lenovo P72 E-2176M, P4200, 64Gb Non-ECC, 2x2Tb RAID 0 Sam 970EVO, 4Tb Sam 860 EVO
bmwman91
Fanfold Paper
Views: 426
Message 3 of 4

The issue is still plaguing me. I have installed monitor drivers and updated all drivers, but the machine still hangs periodically when putting the displays to sleep. This is an incredibly annoying issue to have on a $6000 machine. Any input on what to try next is appreciated.

rimcrazy
Punch Card
Views: 274
Message 4 of 4

I've personally had it.  My P72 goes on eBay next week.  IMHO the P72 is a flaming POS.  The last time the screens went blank.. all of them including the laptop monitor I had to hard reboot it.  Well this time the OS decided to eat itself and all I got was endless BSOD.  This is my work machine.  I absolutely cannot tolerate unreliability.  I fixed the problem, however.  I got me a nice new MacBook Pro and it works flawlessly.  All of my Thunderbolt screens connect with no issue.  They always wake up. They always connect.  All of my USB peripherals always connect.  Everything works.......... as opposed to the P72 where everything might work.... maybe........ if you were lucky.........

Oh and in getting the P72 ready to sell I discovered the touch pad and touch point did not work. They were probably non functional from day one as those are things I just never use because I always am docked and I use wireless keyboards and mice.  2 weeks in the shop to get that fixed.  Lucky the warranty did cover it.

There are some serious issues in the chain of the Lenovo Thunderbolt controller that was picked, the firmware that controls it, and windows drivers.  I don't know who the guilty party is, maybe all 3 but the bottom line is the whole thing is garbage.  It is crazy unreliable. I can't tolerate it.  Add that to ridiculously bad support, the stupid colors on the screen that cannot be fixed and I've had it.  Good luck to everyone else but color me gone when it comes to every using Lenovo again.  

Lenovo P72 E-2176M, P4200, 64Gb Non-ECC, 2x2Tb RAID 0 Sam 970EVO, 4Tb Sam 860 EVO

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors