Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaz911
Punch Card
Views: 280
Message 1 of 4

P72/P1/X1e Problems with 40AN Thunderbolt 3 Docks

ok have have moved (or trying to) from P51 with "old style" dock to the P1 with Thunderbolt 3 dock and there are quite a few issues with the 43AN Thunderbolt 3 docks - listed in different threads here - so I thought I'd add my own and consolidate a bit

1. General latency / speed / audio issues with devices on ThunderBolt 3 dock - many people have issues with devices connecting through TB3 - from Audio Pop's to failing video on Web-cams - and for me USB3.0 Logic Analyzer won't run very well  - in short - high speed USB3.0 and above does NOT perform to USB3.0 high speed specs 

2. Cables are not long enough between TB3 and computer and limt placement of the dock to the left side (or above/below) the ThinkPad. 

3. For me - lots of issues hot-docking / undocking - last time display went into "multi colored" Text mode with all kinds of charecteres from the ANSI being randomly displayed on screen.

4. Waking from sleep - Every time my P1 wakes from sleep it is a gamble if all 3 external monitors turn on. 1/2 the time 1 of my screens does not show anything - but Windows still think it is present (the other screen of the same type turns on fine)

5. Booting: I can't select external screen as primary/preferential in Bios - it is always grayed out. That means I have to turn on with the P1 open. Since I have 3 external screens - it means my NVIDIA card is ALWAYS active (hybrid graphics only works on Intel card with up to 3 screens total - with total 4 screens the NVIDIA will be active)

6. It is complete idiotic to have dual power supplies ? Who ever thought that would be a good idea? 

So in short and in my oppinion - the TB3 40AN is a complete failure that should NEVER have been put on the market. I hope we can go back to a "normal" docking station in the future. Or at least test the devices before they leave engineeering. Right now I would say the TB3 does not work as advertised - or work very badly.

btw both my P1 and Dock has been upgraded with latest firmware. All the above is based on latest firmware. Before latest firmware it was absolutely unusable. 

Please feel free to add to this - and please Lenovo - have your engineers look at this and come back with some solutions (even if the solution is a total RECALL of all the 40AN230 / 40AN170 TB docks. I think that is the right thing to do. They need to be re-designed. 

P51/P70/X1 Carbon Gen 3/W540/Helix/W520/W510/W700ds/X41t/X60t/X61t/T61p

kaz911
Punch Card
Views: 243
Message 2 of 4

Re: P72/P1/X1e Problems with 40AN Thunderbolt 3 Docks

And a few more issues

7: After sleep or hot-plugging - won't recocnise USB Keyboard and mouse connected to the correct docking USB port. Error: USB Device not recognised. Full reboot required to make them work again (through USB hub - Lenovo Keyboard and 3D Connection wireless mouse) - pulling USB connector(s) in / out does not rectify the issue - so seem like the USB port "dies"

kaz911
Punch Card
Views: 210
Message 3 of 4

And another issue

8. Occasionally the 40AN230 dock will die and reboot? The screens stay connected - but all USB devices gets disconnected. After 20-40 seconds the dock will come online again and then "mount" all USB devices

I am amazed that Lenovo has not bothered answering any of the above issues.

I'm close to putting up my P1 for sale and going back to my P51. Without a dock working it is almost impossible to work with the P1 - and the other P1 issues are really annoying (overheating / low performance due to temperature throtteling)

kaz911
Punch Card
Views: 75
Message 4 of 4

Another issue:

9. Not only is speed often slow from the 40AN USB3 & USB-C ports - often they fail. I can't import video/pictures through the 40AN USB ports from iPhone, iPad Pro 2018, Osmo Pocket, Nikon Z7 or any other high speed USB3 or better device. Win10 Photo app breaks down after 3-10 pictures. Switch cable to one of the built in USB 3 or USB-C and everything works as expected. I have less issues writing data to the same devices. 

And it really makes mad sad and mad that Lenovo completely ignores the issues.

For those interested the ThinkPad 40AN provides 5v 3.0A max for charge of USB devices.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors