Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FeanorLobelia
Punch Card
Views: 383
Message 1 of 6

P72 Palmrest quite warm

Just got a P72. Unfortunately, the right side of the  palmrest gets quite warm only a few minutes into use. It's worse when charging, but it's always an issue. I've turned off the NFC chip which was giving off quite a bit of heat (weirdly) but it's still annoyingly warm. Coming from a W700 whose palmrest surfaces were always cool this is a disappointment.

Can others please check how warm their P72 palmrest is? Anyone else bothered by this?

Thanks!

bobbie424242
802.11n
Views: 343
Message 2 of 6

Re: P72 Palmrest quite warm

Mine is not warm but I do not have the NFC reader. Did you check the CPU temps for anything unusual ?

Lenovo ThinkPad P72 - i7-8850H / 48GB DDR4-2666 / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / 1TB HDD / 17.3" UHD / Intel UHD 630 / Quadro P600 / 99W Battery / Linux distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed
ChrisM5
Punch Card
Views: 332
Message 3 of 6

The palmrests are warmish but fine on my P72. The NFC is not active as it's not supported under Linux (I didn't research it deeper as I don't really need it).

What's rather hot on my P72 is the left side of the case, stretching to the upper left side of the keyboard. This even happens with neglectible load (i.e. mostly idle). The temperature is so that I can put my hand there but after a couple of seconds it feels too warm for that and I must take it away again.

starbird70
Paper Tape
Views: 305
Message 4 of 6

Does yours have an Nvidia chip? If so, have you installed the drivers? I noticed my P52 was running pretty warm when I was installing fedora, before I installed the drivers.

I've noticed the palm rest area getting warm, but I'm used to that from my other laptops. Between the SSD and whatever else is under there its not a suprise.

ChrisM5
Punch Card
Views: 257
Message 5 of 6

@starbird70 wrote:

Does yours have an Nvidia chip? If so, have you installed the drivers? I noticed my P52 was running pretty warm when I was installing fedora, before I installed the drivers.

Yes, I do have a nVidia Quadro and the drivers are installed. BIOS is set to discrete.

starbird70
Paper Tape
Views: 249
Message 6 of 6

You can set the BIOS setting back to hybrid. I'm pretty sure you'll see temps go down to what they should be after that. At least, that is what I've seen with this p52.

The only reason to change the setting to discreet is to boot into a graphical linux installer and get the nvidia driver installed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors