cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rimcrazy
Punch Card
Views: 928
Message 41 of 63

Re: P72 is a disappointment so far (HDD install kit)

pjg, Yes that is the kit for a P52. That kit does NOT work for a P72. The SATA connector on the motherboard on the P72 is just to the left of the top of the disk drive and thus the proper cable is very short. While it is MOST likely true that the motherboard connector on both are identical, I'm not willing to risk a $3800 laptop on a guess. I'd prefer to get the correct connector.
Lenovo P72 E-2176M, P4200, 64Gb Non-ECC, 2x2Tb RAID 0 Sam 970EVO, 4Tb Sam 860 EVO
grgbss01
Paper Tape
Views: 897
Message 42 of 63

correct bracket and cable.jpg

This was ordered thru CDW thru our corporate account.

Installed it today.

It works!

There are 2 separate connectors in the kit, one for a P72 and the other for a P52.

rimcrazy
Punch Card
Views: 893
Message 43 of 63

Thanks!!! Ordered.

Lenovo P72 E-2176M, P4200, 64Gb Non-ECC, 2x2Tb RAID 0 Sam 970EVO, 4Tb Sam 860 EVO
John888
Fanfold Paper
Views: 870
Message 44 of 63

I wanted to update after a while with P72 +TBWD3.

Best. Machine. Ever. Had.

It is not without some pitfails but overall, this P72 and the new dock are serously awesome. I had to update bios on P72 due random restarts and had to update TBWD3 firmware due monitor issues. Also the dock don't pass somehow monitor resolutions back to P72, so I had to make cusom resolutions in nVidia drivers. Now I have 3x EIZOs, ethernet and about 12 USBs in that dock everything works fine. The cable vs. older docking solution have its own disadvanrages and also advatages, so I am not radical about that.

Some random thoughts:

- P72 build quality is amazing. After lenovo worsened quality in every generation after IBM acquisition, this machine feels really ultra-solid.

- Keyboard on the other hand is significantly worse than it was. I don't like that they did not use space around the keyboard and I key travel is less tha it was. I also hate island keyboards and writing on my W520 is a different league in every way.

-display is (FHD) suprisingly good

- audio speakers bad as expected

- cooling seems solid and quiet

- zero CPU whine or other weird noises

- battery around 5-6 hours on 50% display with optimus OFF  normal office work

Overall I highly reccomend this setup.

Highlighted
rimcrazy
Punch Card
Views: 856
Message 45 of 63

I have the TB3 Workstation Dock.  While it is very convienient it has some quirks to it.  I've no previous experience with Lenovo laptops or docks as all of my previous workstation laptops have been MacBook Pros.  I've been using Windows for decades however as my desktop workstations were always custome built machines.

The P72 itself so far is very nice to work with.  I have 3 external monitors connected to it.  I have a Dell 3415 (3440 x 1440) and a Dell 2713 (2560 x 1440) which are connected via the TB3 dock.  I also have a Wacom 24" Cintiq Pro (3840 x 2160) which I connect directly to the second TB3 connector in the back of the P72.  My workflow is such that if I'm using the Cintiq I have the other two monitors turned off.  This is not a problem with the P72 but an application issue where if external monitors are used and they are extentions of the main desktop, not mirrors, as mine are, then the combination of Wacom drivers and the particular software I'm using causes registration issues between the pen and display of the Wacom.  (A note, the P72 can actuall drive all 3 external monitors as well as the laptop 4K display with no issue)

The good.....

There is little to no fan noise at all.  Some minor heat generation, ( I can see the wall thermometer I keep close by to my workspace go up a few degrees after 8 hrs of work) but the unit itself is quite cool to the touch.  Not hot at all, even driving all of my screens.  I rarely use the keyboard of the laptop itself as usually it is place on an elevated stand with the dock underneath.  The screen is nice.  Some have complained about the oversaturation of the 4K monitor.  I use my Dell's when I'm doing intensive color work.  They are not full gamut monitors but for what I do they are quite sufficient.  I have seen some discrepencies on a few things but nothing I cannot work around. 

The bad......

Some feet on the bottom would be nice when it is in a portable mode as the keyboard would be more comfortable for me if it had a better angle to it.  The touch for me is fine it's just with the thickness of the P72 having it lie flat is an issue for touch typists.  Battery power is not bad.  I've seen 4 - 6 hrs use on battery if I'm not doing something too compute intensive.  The 4K monitor is not a touch screen nor is it a 10bit monitor.  This is malarky of 10 bits on the monitor is complete BS.  It is an 8 bit interface.  I don't care that they are essentially faking a full Adobe gamut with some dither tricks.  The byte interface of data to the display is 8bits/channel.  Period.  That is an 8 bit interface not 10.  For me it's not a big deal but if you really really need 10 bits and are expecting 10 bits on the laptop display you are not getting it.

The ugly.....

For me the combination of the dock/P72/Windows 10 is a bit hit or miss.  Almost every second or third time I wake the P72 up from either sleep or hibernation it wakes up but....... all of the screens are black.  At first I did not realize what was going on and I simply did a hard power button reboot as I thought the unit was frozen.  I can see the backlight on the laptop and my monitors are on but the screens are still black.  I discovered that if I turn my external monitors off and then simply turn them back on again everything seems to wake up correctly and I get my screen lock login and I can go forward.  That being said I still have had, on some occasions, to hard power button reset because it still will not wake up.  I have a nice set of Bose Companion 5 PC speakers that are USB driven.  I have them plugged directly into the TB3 dock.  On this about half the time I either do a clean boot or a wake up and it is always a crap shoot if my speakers will be recognized or not.  I've tried unplugging the USB to the speakers and plugging in but that does not seem to fix it.  The only thing I've found that fixes it is I have to unplug the entire dock from the back and then plug it back in.  That usually fixes the issue.  I have no idea if this is a Windows 10 issue or a P72/Dock issue but from my perspective who's to blame is moot.  It's a **bleep** PITA to have to deal with every stinking time I boot or wake up my machine.  I have WiFi setup for the P72 as well as a hard line on the TB3 dock.  This also seems to be a crap shoot when booting.  I've seen times where the WiFi takes priority and the hard line is disable and then I've seen vice versa.  Why???? This is really nuts.  Again, I don't know if this is a windows issue or P72/Dock issue but IMHO it should not happen at all.

THuckabay
Punch Card
Views: 780
Message 46 of 63

Truly, the older-style (original IBM-style) keyboards were FAR, FAR, FAR superior in every way.  It is a great shame that Lenovo redesigned and ruined this feature of the Thinkpad line.  The older-style keyboards were a major selling point, precisely because they were so excellent for typing and writing.  The new keyboards are hardly better than those of any other laptop brand.

THuckabay
Punch Card
Views: 777
Message 47 of 63

What you are experiencing is a combination of both Windows and the dock.  When I say Windows, I am including the display drivers in that.  I have noticed that Windows 7 on a system with an nVidia graphics card and NO dock, but with two external monitors, experiences similar issues with the monitors.  Those monitors are plugged into HDMI and mini-DisplayPort jacks of the laptop itself.  Sometimes it is necessary to unplug and replug the monitors from the laptop to get them to wake-up as expected.  That, of course, causes windows that had been open on one monitor or another to rearrange, which is a bit of a hassle.  As for the network priority, I believe there is a way (thouigh I do not recall right now what that is) to specify whether Ethernet or WiFi should take precedence in Widnows; if you have not made that specification explicilty, then it is unpredictable.  (You could, of course, also disable your WiFi transmitter while working connected to the dock.)

mikelj
Paper Tape
Views: 733
Message 48 of 63

Ordered the P72 4k 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD win 10 PRO basic unit - planning to upgrade using much less expensive parts ordered elsewhere.

Have now received the 64GB RAM upgrade and 1TB 970 EVO as well as 2TB HDD - have installed 32GB RAM and ordered the keyboard bracket to install the other 32GB

Hardware manual spoke about a drive kit so I ordered via the link in the manual - https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/partslookup

Turns out I ordered the P50 / P70 kit, 02HK806, (which the website did not delare when I ordered but does so now) so the cables don't fit but seems I need to order 02HK807 which appears to be just the correct cable IE you need to order both kits.  Arrived from China in about 4 days.

mikelj
Paper Tape
Views: 680
Message 49 of 63

Called 1-855-253-6686 cos the required part does not have a button to add to cart.

Turns out, as someone else pointed out, that there is no stock for next 60 days.

Will check periodically and once stock available will post for those who need as well.

Also raised the issue that they should at least state there is no stock unti YYYYMMDD which is why the ADD TO CART button is not available.

OliverK1
SCSI Port
Views: 589
Message 50 of 63

Re: P72 is NOT such disappointment so far....

Finally, my P72 arrived yesterday 6 Dec 2018:

- order placed: 20th Nov 2018

- shipped on 30th Nov

The promised 7 day delivery on the website was clearly just to lure customers in (10 days), plus they didn't tell it will travel all the way from China (7 days).

I have ordered with 256 GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD, 4K screen, 8 GB Ram, P3200.

• Unfortunately, the SSD is the Intel SSD Pro 7600p Series (SSDPEKKF256G8L), which costs only 50 Euro on-line.
    Lenovo showed +160 € for it on the spec sheet when ordering.
    Results:
    crystaldiskmark_P72_Intel_SSD.PNG
    crystaldiskinfo_P72_intel_SSD.PNG
    I have rather ordered a Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB, for 209€ to replace it as a system drive.

• I have ordered the HDD only to have the plastic kit. I have a Samsung 960 Pro 2TB SSD in my previous laptop, that I want to install it. I will use the HDD in an external enclosure for simple storage.

• The keyboard is a disappointment compared to my expectations.
    The four keys near the enter are small, which is a nightmare for touchtyping so far. Those keys are used a lot, and I hit always double-inbetween keys.
    The Fn and Ctrl keys are reversed, I need to change it in the BIOS.
    Unfortunately the right AltGr and Ctrl keys are also small, and there is a PrintScr button there. Why on Earth is it there?! I already made a couple of mistakes doing screenshots instead of hitting Ctrl.
    There is this HUGE space on both sides of the keyboard, which would allow a full sized, non-cramped keyboard, and they are not used.
    The feel of the keyboard is ok at most, far from my expectations. I have expected a much better typing experience for this price.
    Clearly, the keyboard got victim of modular production and cost saving.

I am very disapponted by this keyboard layout, and clearly a Dell would have been a better choice for me. I will have to use an external keyboard on my desk. Had I know this before, probably I would have not bought the P72.

• The trackpad registers double fingre scroll as three finger zooming, I didn't manage to correct it.

• I wait for the Samsung 970 Pro SSD to arrive, then I will transfer Windows to it, and then install the Thunderbolt Workstation dock and start using it.

• The fans are silent when idle. I have removed the HDD, it had this annoying HDD spinning noise that was not so loud, but disturbing.

• The build quality feels good.

2018-12-07 06.56.31_800.jpg2018-12-07 06.57.08_800.jpg2018-12-07 07.22.15_FHD.jpg2018-12-07 07.17.59_FHD.jpg2018-12-07 07.25.53_FHD_circles.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors