CZ

4 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 1 of 6

P73 endless POST loop: Configuration changed - Restart the system

2019-12-06, 10:07 AM

Hello,

I have a P73, and it was working fine with Ubuntu Linux (no Windows installed). But since I tried to change the PK/KEK/DB keys to my own, the notebook refuses to boot from any source, execute any of the builtin tools and even enter the Bios setup. Instead, after POST it prints "Configuration changed - Restart the system" for a split second, then resets and starts POST again. I do not think I have locked myself out because of the installed certificates, because 1. secure boot still ought to be disabled, 2. there should be a different error message, and 3. the bootloader is signed with the correct keys.

Bios settings that I made before changing the certificates (and which worked OK): Secure boot disabled, No supervisor password, No user boot password, Quick boot disabled, Boot logo disabled, Compatibility (legacy) mode disabled. Bios version is N2NUL07W (1.17).

What happens when I power on the notebook:

BIOS POST shows up OK, message "Press <F1> to BIOS seup" appears.

- If I do not press any key, with Linux boot SSD installed, it prints "Configuration changed - Restart the system" and restarts.

- If I do not press any key, without any bootable storage device, "Configuration changed - Restart the system" and restart.

- If I press F1 for setup, "Configuration changed - Restart the system" and restart.

- if I press F12, the boot device selection appears:

- if I select any of the bootable options (stored in BootOrder variable or bootable media) the screen flickers shortly and boot device selection reappears

- if I press TAB and select any of the Tools in App Menu (Setup, Diagnostics, Secure wipe), "Configuration changed - Restart the system" and restart.

When googling for the error message, I found some old posts dating back to 2011, but it seems these systems did boot after restarting 1 or 2 times. I also created a service request #409N63T, but I hope there is a solution that does not require to send the notebook back for service (and there is no service location listed for either Czechia or Austria).

Any tips on what I could try next?

Solved! See the solution
Options

141 Posts

11-12-2019

IL

228 Signins

3525 Page Views

• Views: 3525
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: P73 endless POST loop: Configuration changed - Restart the system

2019-12-06, 12:29 PM

Here is a similar complaint involving P1 Gen2 that ended with sending the machine for repair. Unfortunately, looks like this is currently the only option.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Thinkpad-P1-Gen2-stuck-in-Bootloop-quot-Configuration-changed/m-p/4579508#M84404

If you are feeling adventurous and don't care about voiding the warranty, you could try extracting the BIOS chip from the motherboard, reading the firmware out of it, and manually modifying the NVRAM section. For that to work, you would need to have some equipment and a very good idea of what you were doing.

Options

141 Posts

11-12-2019

IL

228 Signins

3525 Page Views

• Views: 3525
  • Message 3 of 6

2019-12-06, 12:34 PM

P.s. since this is (at least) the second report of a bricked machine involving exactly the same pattern of user actions and symptoms, I think Lenovo should elevate this to the BIOS maintainer to investigate and fix.

Options

3 Posts

12-06-2019

CZ

4 Signins

54 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2019-12-06, 14:38 PM

Thank you very much for your response and the link to the other thread.

For now I will wait for the answer to my service request and hope it will not take too long.

Options

3 Posts

12-06-2019

CZ

4 Signins

54 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2020-01-17, 7:58 AM

Status update. Or rather, non-update:

Because my original service request vanished from the status website, I called the service hotline on 9.12.2019, was assigned a new service request number (122179 on lenovoservices.cz), and a courier came to collect the faulty laptop. On 11.12.2019, the status changed to "parts ordered from manufacturer" for a new mainboard.

And it is still stuck at the same state, well over one month later. The service agent (who has to listen to my shouting every so often) tries to get the status or a tracking number from Lenovo global, but receives no answer.

So I am currently collecting offers for a replacement with similar configuration from another supplier (basically Dell Precision 7740 or HP zBook 17) which means I will have to wait at least 2 weeks more until I get the workstation, but at least that is better than to wait indefinitetely without even getting a status update.

Because Lenovo is obviously inept to provide even the lowest acceptable repair service, my company will not order any Lenovo parts any more. Which is unfortunate, because I am used to their laptops and like the hardware. Hope that at least the money refund works as promised.

Options

3 Posts

12-06-2019

CZ

4 Signins

54 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2020-02-07, 14:43 PM

Finally after 2 full months, the situation is resolved: I "solved" it by ordering a HP zBook 17 G6 to substitute the P73. Still waiting on the reimbursement from the Lenovo dealer though.

Originally, I did not try to fix the problem myself because I did not want to void the warranty. At that time I did not know that warranty is useless anyway because Lenovo is incapable to provide replacement parts.

Farewell Lenovo.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms