cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
improwise
HDMI
Views: 1,095
Message 1 of 11

Possible to run external 4K monitor on Intel graphics?

Thinkinh of buying the P50 for software development work. Is it possible to drive an external 4K@60hz monitor using only the built in Inte Graphics? i would like not having th fans run constantly just to be able to drive the monitor which I suspect might be th case if the nVidia GPU is require (only available with th M2000 here).

improwise
HDMI
Views: 1,034
Message 2 of 11

Re: Possible to run external 4K monitor on Intel graphics?

No one?

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 1,028
Message 3 of 11

You have the Xeon?'

See graphics section on: 

http://ark.intel.com/products/89608/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1505M-v5-8M-Cache-2_80-GHz

Using the display port, it should be able to do it.

See: http://ark.intel.com/products/88970/Intel-Core-i7-6820HQ-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

for the i7.

hope this helps.

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 1,027
Message 4 of 11

yet on the fundamental question of whether you need constant Nvidia use for external 4k, I am optimistic you can still use the swtich technology as if you think about it, the internal display is also 4k (on the 4k model of course) at 60Hz, so I dont see why the external will be different.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,027
Message 5 of 11

Hello,

The ThinkPad P50 as equipped with the Intel Xeon E3-1505M, which uses the Intel HD P530 for its integrated graphics processor.  Looking at Intel's Product Information & Documentation page doesn't seem to have any information about the maximum number of monitors that can be driven, but ARK page for the CPU lists the following:

Graphics Specifications
Processor Graphics Intel® HD Graphics P530
Graphics Base Frequency 350 MHz
Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 1.05 GHz
Graphics Video Max Memory 1.7 GB
Graphics Output eDP/DP/HDMI/DVI
4K Support Yes, at 60Hz
Max Resolution (Intel® WiDi)‡ 1080p
Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4)‡ 4096x2304@24Hz
Max Resolution (DP)‡ 4096x2304@60Hz
Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡ 4096x2304@60Hz
Max Resolution (VGA)‡ N/A
DirectX* Support 12
OpenGL* Support 4.4
Intel® Quick Sync Video Yes
Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology Yes
Intel® Insider™ Yes
Intel® Wireless Display Yes
Intel® Clear Video HD Technology Yes
Intel® Clear Video Technology Yes
# of Displays Supported 3
Device ID 0x191D

‡ This feature may not be available on all computing systems. Please check with the system vendor to determine if your system delivers this feature, or reference the system specifications (motherboard, processor, chipset, power supply, HDD, graphics controller, memory, BIOS, drivers, virtual machine monitor-VMM, platform software, and/or operating system) for feature compatibility. Functionality, performance, and other benefits of this feature may vary depending on system configuration.

A little more digging gives us the 6th Generation Intel Core Processor Family Datasheet, Vol. 1, which states:

Multiple Display Configurations (Dual Channel DDR)
The following multiple display configuration modes are supported (with appropriate
driver software):

• Single Display is a mode with one display port activated to display the output to one display device.
  • Intel Display Clone is a mode with up to three display ports activated to drive the display content of same color depth setting but potentially different refresh rate and resolution settings to all the active display devices connected.
  • Extended Desktop is a mode with up to three display ports activated to drive the content with potentially different color depth, refresh rate, and resolution settings on each of the active display devices connected

The digital ports on the processor can be configured to support DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI.

So, my best guess is that it will drive at least one external monitor of 4096×2304 at 24Hz, and probably at 60Hz as well, but that depends upon how the external display support was engineered.

If you want a definitive answer, you'll need to contact Lenovo and ask pre-sales support directly to confirm what resolution and refresh rates are supported for external monitors.  Please keep in mind this forum is a peer-to-peer forum and many of the folks answering questions here are volunteers and not Lenovo employees, so sometimes you may need to check directly with your local Lenovo office on Monday.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
improwise
HDMI
Views: 1,023
Message 6 of 11

Thanks all for responding. Actually, what I don't want is fan noise just for  running an external 4K monitor doing non graphic intensive work. I assume that the Nvidia GPU will consume more power thus the question, but I really don't mind what GPU is used as such.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 983
Message 7 of 11

I'll see if I can set this up to take a look at it.  I suspect the onboard Intel graphics can support this, but will set it up in the lab to double confirm.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
ibmthink
Bit Torrent
Views: 970
Message 8 of 11

No, the Intel GPU can´t drive any monitor. All display-outputs are always connected with the Nvidia GPU, so it has to be enabled to be able to connect an external screen.

However, don´t worry about the fan-noise. Merely connecting a screen won´t lead to any fan noise.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 961
Message 9 of 11

I'm in agreement with ibmthink based on what I'm seeing.  The Intel graphics display properties never seem to recognize another display (other than the ThinkPad display) regardless of what is plugged into the HDMI or miniDP ports.  The NV control panel, however, always recognizes displays in those ports.  So I believe the external graphics ports are all being routed through NV.  

I don't think fan noise will be a concern if the external screen content is not taxing the GPU.  I was just running 1 and then 2 additional 28" 4k displays in extended mode, and didn't notice any difference in fan speed.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 960
Message 10 of 11

Seriously? It sounds a very inefficient use of the p530 graphics. So if you open the gPu monitor it will show as the nvidia gPu is in use even if your staring at a blank desktop? Anyone could post a screenshot to that effect? I guess I don't want to believe it Smiley Happy 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors