Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
domroy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 966
Message 1 of 5

Problem installing Sierra EM7455 WWAN card on P71

I bought a new P71 portable workstation with this WWAN card already installed and I've got a SIM card from Bell Mobility in Canada.

The card seems to be activated but there is a very limited traffic. I ran the diagnostic and it says that there is a second PIN that need to be provided. I followed the instruction from my provider to unlock the SIM card, but the diagnostic is the same.

I donwloaded the suggested driver from the Lenovo support page but the installer indicate that there is nothing to update.

I'm looking for a new direction to look for to solve ths problem.

Thanks

Dominic

Windows 10 Pro for Workstation 64 bits. Thinkpad P71. Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1505M v6 @ 3.00Ghz. RAM 32.0 GB, Disk SSD 250 GB, Disk 2 SSD 500GB. Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 933
Message 2 of 5

Re: Problem installing Sierra EM7455 WWAN card on P71

Welcome to the Community

The issue with the PIN request might be caused by the outdated wwan modem' firmware. Check it out - open the command prompt window and execute the following command:
netsh mbn sh int

Provide the fw version value.
Also, I hope you'll see the service provider name.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

domroy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 918
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

Really happy you took the time to help me. Here is the result of the command. Notice that this computer is setup for French.

The firmware version is SWI9X30C_02.24.05.06. The card was sold and installed by Lenovo. My cellular provider is Bell Mobility in Canada.

C:\Users\roydo>netsh mbn sh int

Le système dispose d'1 interface :

Nom                   : Cellulaire
    Description            : Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A
    GUID                   : {F3BC7526-A053-4E1E-A166-7A58DFEBD5E3}
    Adresse physique       : 80:95:95:41:5a:53
    Contexte PDP supplémentaire : non (interface physique)
    Guid d'interface mère  : pas de parent
    État                  : non connecté
    Type d'appareil            : Appareil distant
    Classe cellulaire         : GSM
    ID d'appareil              : 015105004853412 Fabricant           : Sierra Wireless, Incorporated Modèle                  : Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Version du microprogramme       : SWI9X30C_02.24.05.06
    Nom du fournisseur          :
    Itinérance                : pas d'itinérance
    Signal                 : 0%
    RSSI / RSCP            : 0 (-113 dBm)

Thanks a lot.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstation 64 bits. Thinkpad P71. Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1505M v6 @ 3.00Ghz. RAM 32.0 GB, Disk SSD 250 GB, Disk 2 SSD 500GB. Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 902
Message 4 of 5

The fw version is outdated enough, since it has been released new big win10 update released either, it could cause the issue as many customers had either. The em7455' drivers package on the support site includes several new fw images, including cellular carrier specific image, newer than the modem has either.

In order to update the fw, Sierra' drivers from the drivers package should be installed, at least the driver for the flash download port (it's hidden in normal case) as well the flash update OS service. Check it out whether Sierra' specific service persists in Windows Services list.

You can either to perform the drivers installation via their update from Device Manager. Navigate to the folder where the package has been extracted to when you tried to install the drivers.

BTW, usually, once the Sierra' drivers are installed, the flash update service checks the modem fw version, carrier provisioning image (in case the SIM card persists) and the package content matching and, by default, tries to update the fw itself in the auto mode. The process lasts up to 5...10 minutes, so don't turn off or reboot the laptop, watch the em7455 devices disappearing/appearing in Device Manager. If the fw update doesn't start, we'll do it ourself later.

Also, just FYI, the SIM card should be inserted in the laptop while it's powered off completely, via the Shift key, i.e.not in the sleep or hibernation mode. Read the laptop User Guide for information. If you didn't insert the SIM card as it should, it could cause the PIN request issue either. As a workaround try to reset the modem - unplug the AC charger, enter the BIOS Setup, disable the internal battery pack, the laptop will power off itself, press the power button and hold it for 20...30 seconds, reinsert the SIM card with a delay, plug the charger, power on the laptop, enter the BIOS Setup, load and save default BIOS settings, apply specific settings you need (if you had them), boot, check the modem.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

domroy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 873
Message 5 of 5

I had some trouble understanding what I have to do. All FW and drivers were at the correct version. When I downloaded and ran the Bell fw, it seems to do nothing. However, I noticed that it defined an APN where I can see the reference for Bell. Since then, the connection started to work normally. I didn't have to intervene on the SIM card, either.

Very happy,

Thanks a lot.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors