cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 5,153

Question

I have encountered a problem when attempting to update the firmware in the Intel Management Engine.  The firmware update is posted on the W520 driver page (it is package 83rf32ww).  The problem is the error message shown in the photo below.

The update process starts when the MEUpdate.CMD file is selected within the DOS window, but after a few seconds, the error message at the bottom of the picture appears.

ME Engine Update problem

Answer

Issue happens when you are running it from C:\Windows\system32 rather than the expected C:\DRIVERS\WIN\ME.

Follow step provided below to install the Intel ME correctly.

1. Double click on the 83rf32ww.exe file
  2. It will extract to folder C:\DRIVERS\WIN\ME
  3. Click Finish
  4. Click Start, type "CMD"
  5. Right Click and select "Run as Adminstrator" on CMD
  6. In Command Prompt, type cd\ then enter
  7. Then type cd\drivers\win\me then enter
  8. Then type meupdate.cmd then enter
  9. Then press y and enter to continue
  10. Then done

Intel ME.jpg

Was this information helpful?

Comments
Pzambito

Hi, I recently updated my P72 thinkpad with the latest version of Intel ME Firmware 12 (12.0.22.1310) using the Lenovo vantage automatic updates.  I am using BIOS version 1.18.1.11 which was updated a few weeks earlier.  Im running Windows 10 version 1803

After the Intel ME firmware update which stated completed successfully, my computer powered off and on several times each time I try to reboot, and took very long to boot up (30-60 sec compared to usually 7-10 sec).  Eventually after rebooting several times, the boot time is back to normal at 7-10 sec and I cant see any obvious issues running the system, except every time I boot, right after the LENOVO logo comes up, a message appears at the top left corner of the screen:

"(A7) Intel ME FW Downgrade, Request MeSpiLock Failed"

How can I resolve this issue, and is it causing any problems I may not realize?

Sincerely,

Peter

jesperd

I'm have started getting that on my P52 - excactly the same thing happens as with Peter's P72: Long boot time (keyboard light flashes a little too much), and then the error. It does boot, eventually. This started after last update.

CNARAY

I had my Motherboard replaced 4 times till I relised that the latest ME firmware update is killing the onboard chip.  Look at your bios and see if it list a version next to the info page for ME.  My initial computer (P52) I updated but it changed the boot time from seconds to minuets. The next MoBo I got a non bootable error, and the last MoBo installed I got No listed firmware in the Bios and long boot times.  I just got my replacement unit and I refuse to use Lenovo ME Firmware utility.  Lesson learned.  To be honest, unless your on a large network you don't need ME anyways.  I have Intel's AMT turned off in the BIOS also.

Once your Bios is not recognised by the ME software in Windows you will never be able to fix this problem.  Time for a new Motherboard.

CNARAY

I had my Motherboard replaced 4 times till I realised that the latest ME firmware update is killing the onboard chip.  Look at your bios and see if it list a version next to the info page for ME.  My initial computer (P52) I updated but it changed the boot time from seconds to minuets. The next MoBo I got a non bootable error, and the last MoBo installed I got No listed firmware in the Bios and long boot times.  I just got my replacement unit and I refuse to use Lenovo ME Firmware utility.  Lesson learned.  To be honest, unless your on a large network you don't need ME anyways.  I have Intel's AMT turned off in the BIOS also.

Once your Bios is not recognised by the ME software in Windows you will never be able to fix this problem.  Time for a new Motherboard.