cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ktod_16
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,354
Message 1 of 4

Problems: Did anyone succeeded to install Windows 7 on a P71 ?

Hello All,

Yesterday I receive my P71 and since then I'm trying to instal Win 7 on it without success.

My main problem is that after CD booting when windows starts, the keyboard and track pad are not working.

So for 2 days I'm stuck at the first WIN7 screed where I have to select "Language, Time, and Keyboard and click next . As you can imagine I'm not able to click next.

I tried external USB mouse and keyboard without success(USB3 not working also booting from USB pen drive not working).

So i burned several DVD trying to insert some usb3 drivers in windows CD but still no result.

Also I damaged Win 10 partitions so booting in win 10 is not working anymore....

Any sugestions. 

Thank you... 

ktod_16
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,292
Message 2 of 4

Re: Problems: Did anyone succeeded to install Windows 7 on a P71 ?

Update ....

I installed a Samsung NVME M2 Drive.

Finally I managed to install Win 7 64bits in Legacy mode. 

I discovered that my problem was that i was using a verry old win7 ISO.

I downloaded a newer one and it worked without an issue. I had to burn USB3 and NVMe Drivers on a separate CD to use it during the installation.

I managed to install drivers for all devices (allmost). I have a few unknown devices in Device manager.

The laptop works great...

One issue is bothering me. I installed Intel vdeo driver and Nvidia driver from Nvidia website.

Now when I boot in hybrid GPU mode after a few seconds from windows startup I get the error that Nvidia P4000 cannot be ejected and it suddently disapears from DEVICE Manager and I'm stuck with only I-GPU. 

The only way I can use the Nvidia GPU is to set video discrete in BIOS. It is working fine but it is draining the baterry faster.

I made some test and the result is good. check the pic.... 

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,287
Message 3 of 4

As far as installing Win7 on a Skylake or Kaby Lake machine, this problem has been talked about on this and other forums for more than two years now. The problem is that the original Win7 installer (and Win7 itself) does not contain built-in driver support for either USB 3.0 or NVMe devices.  USB 3.0 support is required for USB mouse/keyboard on these newer machines, and NVMe device support is required if you're targeting your Win7 install to say a Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD device.

Both installation problems can be easily overcome by slipstreaming BOTH of the missing but required additional USB 3.0 and NVMe drivers into the original installer ISO for Win7 SP1, producing a new installer written to a bootable USB key drive.

Note that while MS still supports Win7 (until 2020, anyway) for Skylake machines, they are not providing Win7 support for Kaby Lake machines.  So I believe you're going to be on your own with your P71 and its i7-7820HQ CPU.

I know you've already gotten past your original WIn7 installer problems, but just for future reference by anybody discovering this current thread, the following is a quote from another thread on this forum dealing with installing Win7 from scratch to a P50 with NVMe target.

The easiest way to have "successful" outcome is to make use of a new Win7 installation boot media builder utility provided by Gigabyte (developed for its own customer base, who wanted to install Win7 on Gigabyte's new Skylake 100-series chipset motherboard systems).  The Gigabyte utility is discussed on this Gigabyte tech support site article on the whole problem of installing Win7 on this new hardware, and the solution using their newly devloped utility. The Gigabyte utility is downloaded from the "Gigabyte download support site" specifying download type = UTILITY, referred to on that page as the "Windows USB Installation Tool to Support Intel 100 series motherboards". 

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,280
Message 4 of 4

As far as your P4000 graphics problem, I'm afraid I can't provide any help.

I have an older P70 machine with M3000M graphics that is running Win7 (as well as Win10) without problems, but I run the machine with DISCRETE GRAPHICS enabled, since I ALWAYS am plugged into wall power and virtually never run on battery.  And I paid a lot of money for my extra M3000M graphics (as you paid LOTS of extra money for your P4000), and I wanted to get the performance benefit as much as possible including not only when using my external monitors but also when using the laptop screen itself.

I'm aftraid that short of dimming the screen brightness, and otherwise adjusting/throttling overall performance and power usage when operating on battery through Lenovo's Power Manager app (which is usable in Win7 on my P70, although I don't know about on your Kaby Lake P71) but still using DISCRETE GRAPHICS (since you say you have problems with HYBRID GRAPHICS otherwise), I don't know what to suggest.

However I would think that HYBRID GRAPHICS should certainly work, at least in Win10 for that Kaby Lake machine.  I don't know that you're going to get helpful support from Lenovo for your Win7 environment.

But if DISCRETE GRAPHICS is the complete answer for you, it seems you will just have to plug the laptop into wall power if you want to still use Win7.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors