Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dimm0k
Punch Card
Views: 622
Message 1 of 8

Proper way to upgrade BIOS with password protection

Has anyone upgraded their BIOS successfully without removing the BIOS/HDD password protection?  Are you supposed to disable that before upgrading the BIOS?

don820
Token Ring
Views: 607
Message 2 of 8

Re: Proper way to upgrade BIOS with password protection

I have upgraded (and downgraded Smiley Happy ) my BIOS multiple times with all the passwords set (BIOS, HDD, etc).

Guru
Views: 597
Message 3 of 8

I have done the same thing as don820 describe and so far never killed a computer because of a BIOS upgrade. Neither have i ever had any issues after a BIOS upgrade because i didn't remove the password. I would always recommend to use the ISO, burn to CD and boot from CD instead of updating the BIOS from Windows even if i have done several BIOS upgrades from Windows without any problems. If updating from Windows and Windows crash during the update or something in Windows interrupt/interfere with the update the results might be a damaged BIOS. In case of a damaged BIOS you normally have to send the computer for repair service.

Either way i would recommend to always read the included text file with the instructions before updating the BIOS or installing a driver. Sometimes it might contain important information or instructions.

-gan

dimm0k
Punch Card
Views: 591
Message 4 of 8

Interesting... just trying to figure out why my BIOS upgrade has failed AGAIN on the same **bleep** machine, this time upgrading with the same CD used sucessfully on another machine!
Guru
Views: 583
Message 5 of 8

What exactly do you mean by failed? Is the computer dead after a a failed BIOS update?

Did you do the update utility from Windows or did you use the boot CD method?

What kind of Thinkpad model do you have (for example Thinkad W510, 4319-3EG) and what version of BIOS did you try to use for the update? If running the update utility from Windows what Windows version are you using?

-gan

dimm0k
Punch Card
Views: 570
Message 6 of 8

The first time around I updated through Windows 7 and while the update went through fine in Windows, it sort of hung the system after rebooting and getting past the BIOS startup screen.  Waited at least 5 minutes before rebooting and after that the screen remained blank and would not do anything after turning the machine on.  Bringing it in determined I needed a new mainboard.

After getting the system back I had the old BIOS where only 3GB of the 4GB of RAM was seen so I decided to update the BIOS using a CD I created from the ISO on the Lenovo support page.  This CD was used to update another W510 system with no problems.  This system however, booted off the CD and completed the update process.  Asked me to eject CD, which I did and reboot.  Rebooting brought me past the BIOS startup screen and then a blank screen with a cursor up in the top left.  Waited a good 5 minutes and realized I was doomed... now I'm waiting for Lenovo to send me a box to send it to them for probably a new mainboard.  Now I'm exhibiting the same exact thing as the first time around...  power button lights up, caps lock LED goes on and then off and screen never turns on.

Guru
Views: 563
Message 7 of 8

I'm sorry to hear about the problem with the BIOS update.....and twice in a row.

Seems like there been several cases lately where the BIOS update fail. I thought it had to do with the update from Windows, but if it also happen with the CD i'm not sure what causes this problem. I been updating the BIOS on several W510, but never had any problems. The symptoms you describe seems to be the same as some other reported as well.

Just curious...what is the type/model of W510 you got? I assume you used the 135w power when updating the BIOS and that the computer where not in a docking or no other hardware connected? I just don't understand why some seems to have problem with the BIOS update and others don't.

-gan

dimm0k
Punch Card
Views: 557
Message 8 of 8

I am as baffled as you are on why it fails!  The very first time I updated was in Windows 7 and that went through fine so the second time I figured if it worked fine for me in Windows on the same machine, why not?  Too many variables, but ultimately that killed the mainboard.  This time I did it off a CD and the end result was the same, on this same machine!  So far if you include the other machine that updated successfully, my success rate with updating the BIOS on the W510 is 50/50.  With that in mind, I dread the next update and am not sure I am willing to even try it from the way things have gone so far.  In all my years of computing... this has never happened to me until now!

Yep, I had the battery fully charged and the standard 135w power connected with no devices connected via USB or eSATA.  Also do not own a dock... and even unplugged the ethernet cable.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors