Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mobius8
Punch Card
Views: 2,235
Message 51 of 106

Re: Quadro FX 3700M on my W700 dead?

Hi, Jimbo,

Thank you for your troubleshooting ideas and suggestions.

I currently booting with system Bios 2.18, dated 2012-11-29.  Upon perusing the entries of the Bios, nothing appears amiss. 

The vBios for the replacement graphics card ("Card1") is 62.92.51.00.05 from the nVidia control panel; whereas, the vBios for my original card ("Card0") is 62.92.5C.00.05.  From GPU-Z, the video memory of Card1 is stated as 1024MB.  Some pictures follow:

http://www.photoshack.com/albums/userpics/12503/FX3700M_PCB.jpg

http://www.photoshack.com/albums/userpics/12503/FX3700M_GPU-Z.jpg

As per your suggestion, I have checked that cable connector 6A on p. 127 of the manual is seated properly.  Though the second display is blank, it shows up on the Monitors' section of the Device Manager.  It also shows up in the nVidia control panel.

And to add a curveball to all this, the DVI connection works; whereas, the Display Port and the second internal display do not.  To say the least, I am completely baffled as to why this is happening.

Any thoughts?  Thank you very kindly.

--- Addendum @ 6:40 pm EDT ---

When I installed the lastest video driver -- this time from nVidia's website, my second internal display now works.  Go figure?  The driver was updated from v188.25 (21-Dec-09) to v311.50 (06-Apr-13).  

Oddly, there's a vBios discrepancy as to what Win7 & nVidia Control Panels are reporting compared to GPU-Z.  For the former, it is 62.92.5C.00.07 versus 63.92.51.00.05 for the latter.  I'm unsure why this is the case.

With the second internal display now functional, the remaining issue is to get the Display Port connection working.  Boy...replacing the video card is such a time sink!

Cheers,

Ken

Jimbo
802.11n
Views: 2,220
Message 52 of 106

Ken, so you're saying that, with version 188.25 (21-Dec-09) of the video driver installed, the Nvidia control panel reports your video BIOS as being version 62.92.51.00.05.

But with version 311.50 (06-Apr-13) of the video driver installed, the Nvidia control panel reports your video BIOS as being version 62.92.5C.00.07.

Correct?

Having dual-link DVI is almost as good as Displayport, and at least you now have your second display. So you're getting close to reasonable functionality.

I've had problems detecting displays on the W700's Displayport connector, and that behaviour may be affected by driver versions. Try plugging in and turning on the display connected to Displayport while the W700ds is turned off, wait 30 seconds, and then boot the W700ds. If the external display is not detected, wait a few minutes, then go into the Nvidia control panel and click on "Set up multiple displays," to see if you can get the W700ds to connect to the external display. If not, then turn off the external display while the W700ds is turned on and in Windows, wait 30 seconds, turn the external display back on, wait one minute, then open the Nvidia control panel again and try to connect to the display again.

If that doesn't work, you can also try running Thinkvantage system update, and see if it wants to install anything that could be related to PCIe or Displayport, chipset drivers, etc. I recommend backing up your system before installing things, if you haven't already done so.

mobius8
Punch Card
Views: 2,190
Message 53 of 106

Hi, Jimbo,

Yes, vBIOS went from ...51.00.05 to ...5C.00.07 -- as per the nVidia control panel -- when the nVidia driver was upgraded from v188.25 to v311.50.  I am unsure why GPU-Z still says, "...51.00.05).  I diligently went through the troubleshooting steps suggested, including the ThinkVantage System Update, but the DisplayPort is not functional (i.e., no signal received).

After spending an inordinate amount of time troubleshooting, I have come to the conclusion that 75% functionality is much better then 25% (w/ only primary display w/o GPU acceleration).  To be fair to the eBay seller, I will be keeping the card and not request a refund.  I think we all can agree that there's nothing wrong with the video card; and that my DisplayPort problems are due to vBIOS, or possibly, video driver issues.

Thanks so much guys, especially Jimbo, for your kind assistance.Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Ken

Jimbo
802.11n
Views: 2,165
Message 54 of 106

Here's one possible explanation for the discrepency in reporting of the vBIOS version. As far as I know, the W700xx shipped only with versions 62.92.5c.00.05 and 62.92.5c.00.07 of the 3700M vBIOS. It's possible that version 62.92.5c.00.05 contained an OpenGL bug, for example, which application developers had to work around, and the bug was later fixed with 62.92.5c.00.07. And it's possible that your current version of the video driver provides a better fix for that bug with version 62.92.5c.00.05 cards than the developers' workaround does.

So, on the W700xx, the driver may want applications to THINK the version of the vBIOS is instead 62.92.5c.00.07, so that those applications won't try to use their own workaround for the bug. GPU-Z may employ a more direct way of asking the 3700M for its vBIOS version, which circumvents this smokescreen.

Regarding Displayport, your replacement 3700M was produced for the Elitebook 8730w, which supported HDMI (instead of Displayport) through a connector on the laptop, and supported dual-link DVI via a dock. The 3700M is plugged into the laptop's PCIe bus via an MXM 2.1 type edge connector [1, 2, 3]. Video interfaces like Displayport, HDMI, and DVI are optionally supported according to the MXM 2.1 spec, and are sent to the motherboard via pins within that connector. It could be that, with your replacement 3700M's vBIOS/ROM/hardware-revision, support for Displayport was buggy or missing.

Or you may need to reinstall some additional driver to make Displayport work with the replacement video card. But I'm not sure which driver that would be, and you've already updated the video driver. A clean install of Windows would accomplish the same thing (backup your system/data/documents first), but isn't a guaranteed fix.

Anyway, Ken, I wish you the best with the card and your W700ds!

Pepe
SCSI Port
Views: 2,154
Message 55 of 106

I never used the displayport but tried to connect a 24" LCD I have with the W700 using the second hand Quadro through VGA and it works fine selecting all the available options using the Windows logo key Picture of Windows logo key+P (duplicate, extend and "projector" only). I imagine the second screen from the w700ds and w701ds should work in a similar fashion. GPU-Z as expected showed an increase on pretty much everything when both screens were active.

Ken, the seller you and I got the Quadros from has 2 auctions going, one is for a refurbished ($199) and the other is for a new condition video card. I'm assuming you got the new one?

Edit: sorry didn't realize there were new posts since the last page. Good to know Ken got his Quadro working fine now. I just checked my vBios from the Screen Resolution>Advanced settings>Adapter and I also get 62.92.5c.0.7

mobius8
Punch Card
Views: 2,120
Message 56 of 106

Thanks so much Jimbo for your insights and continuing assistance. 

I did try a clean Windows 7 install; unfortunately, the DisplayPort connection remains inactive.  As you highlighted in your reply, my new FX3700M was intended for the HP 8730w which didn't have DisplayPort capability; consequently, I agree with you that the DisplayPort functionality was most likely left out of the firmware.  And since the card is physically different from that of a stock Lenovo card, I wouldn't risk flashing it in hopes of getting DisplayPort.  Nevertheless, I am reasonably satisfied with the outcome as I can now make use of one of two external hi-res screens.  The W700(ds) is a reliable but dated machine; I prefer now to direct my time and resources to a future small-form factor PC.

Again, much appreciated for your (and Pepe's) help.  I certainly would not have resolved the issue to the extent as I had without your assistance!!  Merci.

Cheers,

Ken

Jimbo
802.11n
Views: 2,105
Message 57 of 106

Pepe and mobius8, you've just supplied a couple more pieces of the puzzle.

Pepe, the fact that VGA works on your W700 at this point is consistent with the pattern we're seeing, because the 8730w provided a VGA port on the laptop itself. So video interfaces that the W700xx and 8730w have in common seem to all function. The internal displays on both machines would have all used LVDS interfaces, BTW. So, together, both you and mobius8 have tested all such interfaces.

Mobius8, by trying a clean install, you seem to have confirmed that no reinstallation of drivers on the W700xx will enable Displayport. So, assuming your replacement 3700M has no defects, the lack of support for Displayport would seem to be caused by the vBIOS/ROM/hardware-revision of that card. 

That may not be surprising. Hardware manufacturers try to minimize the total cost of components in their products. And a lot of these cards were manufactured for HP, Lenovo, Dell, Sager, etc., so there was plenty of motivation to minimize component costs. Part of the variation we're seeing in the different hardware revisions of 3700M cards may be support for different sets of video interfaces. Different interfaces may require different chips within the 3700M card for line-driving/buffering/amplification/signal-conditioning, and their own blocking capacitors, pull-up resistors, etc.

Good luck!

Pepe
SCSI Port
Views: 2,094
Message 58 of 106

Thanks both for helping out! Jimbo, you prove to remain the W700 guru for years to come. Hope this thread helps some other W700 users. Replacing the hardware is not a difficult task, finding a Quadro that work is another beast. Good luck everyone!

Papuz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,871
Message 59 of 106

Hello everyone, unfortunately I burned my fx3700m I also have two months are no w700 and I'm desperate, I read some discussion but I understood little or nothing because I'm not an expert as you want, from the little I have understood you may use one garfica hp? kindly you could recount to me briefly what I have to do to figure out some graphics card I should buy for my w700?

mobius8
Punch Card
Views: 1,843
Message 60 of 106

Hi, Papuz,

Yes, you are correct.  It is possible to replace a stock Lenovo FX3700M graphics with a HP one, just make sure that the vBios on the card is one listed within this discussion thread.  Note that with a HP card, however, you will not be getting output from your DisplayPort.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Ken

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors