cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gbreer
Paper Tape
Views: 14,893
Message 1 of 13

Question regarding over ONE MONTH delivery time?

Hello all,

I am aware of the W-Series shipping thread, but it hasn't been updated in some time so I wasn't sure it was still active. Others complained there of long and inaccurate delivery times, but others had the inverse experience - so I thought I would ask anyway.

I purchased a W520 online earlier today, but checking my order status tonight reports that the laptop itself is scheduled for a ship date of the first of May. Assuming I allow only a week for the delivery to actually arrive, it means I'm waiting over a month for my purchase to arrive. This seems like a very long time!

When I purchased the laptop, the site reported an estimated ship date of April 17th. Ten days until the hardware ships is resonable for this type of purchase. A thirty day wait is not (especially when there was no warning of backorder or delay when I made the purchase). Had I known upfront the estimated delay would be so bad, I never would have made the purchase. Now I understand that the delivery date provided during purchase is an estimate, and in no way a guarantee, but the delta between the two dates has me concerned. It took quite a bit of research for me to get over the purported SSS issue, and that buying a Lenovo was still a smart move - but once again I'm starting to worry.

My hope is that the estimated ship date listed under my Order Status will change to a date that is closer to the date given during the purchase, and that I won't be waiting a moon cycle to get my new W520. The purchase was made less than twenty-four hours ago, and although Lenovo said it will only take six hours for my Order Status to populate, I'm hoping this is simply a calculation error. Why I am truly worried and am bothering to post this question, however, is that other items I purchased in the same order DO have realistic ship and delivery dates. I ordered a sleeve to accompany my W520, and my Order Status is already reporting that it will ship 4/8 and be delivered 4/13. If this is accurate, and it does seem plausible, it makes it more likely my W520 estimated ship date is also accurate. And that is basically unacceptable.

Has anyone recently purchased/received a W520, and if so how long was the delivery delay? Am I (hopefully) correct in assuming the May first ship date is simply an early calculation by the Order Status page and will be updated to reflect a more realistic ship/delivery date? Has anyone else experienced an issue with early estimates of ship date on their Order Status being inaccurate and abnormally long?

My specs are i7-2640M, 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), Quadro 2000M, 8 GB RAM, 320GB Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm). Everything else was stock.

Thanks in advance for any insight or help. Here is to hoping I won't have to cancel this order because of what should be an easily avoidable issue.

~G

Jimbo
802.11n
Views: 14,847
Message 2 of 13

Re: Question regarding over ONE MONTH delivery time?

Gbreer, because of the holiday weekend, you might not get an answer for awhile. So this is primarily a user-to-user support forum, I don't work for Lenovo, and don't know the answer, but here's the official thread for your question, over in the General Discussion forum:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Order-related-customer-service-concerns/td-p/185709/p...

You can probably poke around in that forum and start your own thread there if it doesn't tell you what you want to know. Good luck!

rsay777
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,829
Message 3 of 13

I purchased my 520 through Amazon,  took 4 days to arrive.  I did pay for over night but the ship date was only two days after the order.  

gbreer
Paper Tape
Views: 14,824
Message 4 of 13

Jimbo,

Thanks for the advice, I've looked over that thread and it seems that these sort of problems appear intermittedly. Lenovo's customer support center isn't open, but I plan on calling their CS department and hopefully clear this up.

Thanks again,

~G

gbreer
Paper Tape
Views: 14,786
Message 5 of 13

Quick update for anyone looking at this thread:

I called Lenovo today and the CS rep confirmed that my W520 is estimated to ship sometime in the first week of May. The rep also reported that the order had been processed and the laptop was currently in the process of manufacturing. I asked if the delay in shipping was due to backordered parts and he assured me no components of my W520 were backordered. I'm not positive he can authoritatively say that for sure, but I have no reason to believe he would lie to me so I'll assume that's accurate.

Since so far I've been handled decently well, I'm going to give Lenovo the benefit of the doubt and not cancel my order. Interested to see how long it does take them to manufacture and ship the hardware to me.

~G

EDIT: I forgot to mention the rep also assured me that the estimated ship date really was just an estimate, and it was completely possible that my hardware would ship before (and what went unsaid: after) the estimated ship date.

Chatbox
802.11n
Views: 14,771
Message 6 of 13

I wouldn't wait one month for a W520 that's going to come in May.  Just cancel it.

I don't see how Lenovo can expect customers are willing to wait one month for a system.  A part is on back order, well, that's the problem between Lenovo and the supplier.  Don't be a part of it.    I mean, why would I give my money to Lenovo, and then play the waiting game?  

Just order it again one month from now...

Jimbo
802.11n
Views: 14,763
Message 7 of 13

We don't see many users showing up here in the forum with new W520 machines right now, which may indicate sales are slow, which naturally makes you wonder why the wait is so long to ship new W520 orders. But someone just caught a store in the Netherlands accidentally featuring the new Lenovo Ivy Bridge/Kepler laptops (also see here) in their online store for sale.

So if the detailed ordering info for the new machines is at the retailer level right now, then Lenovo will likely announce the new laptops on or just after April 29, when Intel is expected to officially release the new Ivy Bridge processors. And it also means Lenovo has probably diverted much of its current production resources to building the new machines for the release.

That may explain the W520 shipping delays, although it's certainly a pain in the rear for anyone who wants to buy one of the current models, before they go out of stock. Anyway, a little buzz is always entertaining--that's certainly what makes the Apple world go round (the Apple forums are rife with about 150 pages of Ivy Bridge buzz, vs. almost nothing here in the W-series forum, so this forum may be asleep).

I'm dying to see test results of Nvidia's killer GTX 680M Kepler-based mobile graphics processor (and workstation sibling) when it finally comes out, although that may take a bit longer (and may only ship in 17" machines). But it should have roughly 3.4 times the performance of the Quadro 2000M.

coldpond
What's DOS?
Views: 14,745
Message 8 of 13

I am having a problem with getting delivery for a ThinkCentre M71Z series. I ordered 3/26/12. Delivery was to be 4/4/12. I called last night (4/9/12) somewhere in the Pacific rim.  Could not understand the person. Had to call back. I was then told a delivery sometime around 4/3012! After 25 minutes of trying to get through this morning, I am just about to cancel my order. The sad thing is this was going to be a pilot unit for a much larger commercial order. Predicated on the facts, I going back to Dell. I did notice some 'fringy' things about Lenovo: Details of order partly show up as HTML code. Order does fully show up (was told this was normal because it was at the end of the page); this was important as it proved I did order a five year warranty. Good luck to all.

UPDATE: My order status is now showing 4/2912. UPDATE FOR LENOVO: my order status is dead.

Chatbox
802.11n
Views: 14,743
Message 9 of 13

Lenovo really does have a lot to improve on when it comes to their supplychain partners and logistics...

wdurant
Paper Tape
Views: 14,632
Message 10 of 13

This experience of ordering a Lenovo W520 from the manufacturer and having them play games by resetting the estimated shipping day twice so far is somewhat foreign to me with ordering laptops. The order was placed mid April and now we are looking to the middle of May for fulfillment. Most of the accessories have already arrived in three separate shipments and two other accessories (3rd party) are not in stock, and therefore who knows when they will arrive. Calling Lenovo doesn't help. So short of cancelling my order, returning the received merchandise and going with my number two laptop choice, I am not certain what to do. Certainly not buying any warranty extension.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors